RMweb

Thorburn's

themagicspanner

Morning Mike,

My illness is making things a bit difficult at the moment but I've kept my interest going by making up a few plastic wagon kits which I posted in 'Lunester Lounge(Railway topics only)'. I've got the drawings for the first module more or less complete and all I now need to do is get fit enough to clear the space in the garage by selling off lots of books and records. Funding is also an issue and so the sale of these items will hopefully help with that too!

Looking forward to your next post, as I've cribbed quite a few ideas from your thread already, particularly the use of 'DAS'!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Stunning! I especially like the one in color--because you've got a real eye for them. You could probably get away taking pictures without any trains in them at all--it's all done so well nobody'd ever notice the lack of them. :)

On color, what paints/colors did you use for the rails and what did you use to make that lovely shade of muck on the ties etc?

Quentin

Thanks Quentin,

Really liking the colour reproduction from the new camera. Much better than the camera in my Sony Experia Z2 phone, unsurprisingly. I guess the poor colours was making me post black and white shots.

Anyway, the colours are a mix of 'Raw Umber' and 'Paynes Grey' for the mud with some 'Earth' powder to take away the harshness, 'Underframe Dirt' and 'Sleeper Grime' for the rails touched up with some rust coloured weathering powders for highlights, and 'Weathered Black' for the oily bits.

All of these are in the Railmatch diesel weathering pack and the Humbrol powders pack.

Here's another photo from about 10 minutes agao - the light is perfect this morning.

DSC_0016_zpsvnxsoa19.jpg

Mike

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Progress hasn't slowed much of late, but then again it wasn't exactly shifting at a pace!

I've managed to grass along the front of the granary and some of the overgrown areas of the loading bay but there isn't much to show.

With great light flooding into the room tonight I thought I should get the new camera out again and try to get some new angles.

The first two are actually from the other night but I like the colours in the first and the atmosphere in the second so thought I should include them.

DSC_0126_zpsufkfhify.jpg

DSC_0128_zps40mnpmnh.jpg

I think I like the angle on these two the best so far - the fist one in particular gives a feeling of a cramped yard.

DSC_0145_zpsllpcomlq.jpg

DSC_0141_zpsnl5buuyy.jpg

At this time of year the sun does manage to hit the corner of the room that the layout's in just before it sinks below the horizon. Here are a couple of shots that show off just how much dusting I need to do!

DSC_0161_zpsjrrhuxqm.jpg

DSC_0164_zpsarvbhbfm.jpg

Mike

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

After a while away from modelling (again) I popped along to the East of Scotland Scalefour group last weekend and found myself wanting to get started on Thorburn's again...

This morning I cleaned the track and got everything working quite nicely only for one of the Cobalt turnout motors to stop working after a few throws. I've had this bother before and I really don't know what's going on, and frankly, I can't be arsed with it any more...

As luck would have it I was shown a Blue Point Turnout Controller when I was at the Scalefour group - something I had looked at a while back but couldn't get hold of. This morning was enough to make me purchase two of them. Hopefully they should arrive early next week. I like the idea of manual turnout control partly because it avoids that horrible electric motor noise.

• Like 1

In an effort to fill up the space between the granary and the sheds I've done a wee bit of building work:

Firstly a smaller brick building with what will be a corrugated tin roof.

DSC_0411_zpsbnum7a6q.jpg

DSC_0414_zpsxaoxowlx.jpg

DSC_0412_zpsbfccg77n.jpg

The long shed is now even longer stretching almost all of the way to the end of the apron.

DSC_0413_zpswvkhnplh.jpg

DSC_0415_zpsk3jf9o8y.jpg

I think it gives a much better balance to the scene and with a few bushes behind the fence the back of that part of the layout should start to work as I want it.

• Like 10

Jinty

Just on the back-burner.

It is a very small layout but if you take photos from a low level you can really make things look big - I learned that when I built Tarbhit.

Not totally happy with the granary and I think I'm going to complete a couple of versions - the current one made from the slabs of DAS and a new one from ply and polyfila. It's all about the windows, of which I'll tell more when I get the next version started.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Daniel - very kind words.

Praise like that makes me think that I'd really like to get this layout to a point in the next month or so where it could be shown off. However, that means getting the rest of the uncoupling magnets installed and working, AJs fitted to a few more bits of stock, and the turnouts redone with the Blue Point Turnout Controllers. After that it's just about the scenics... Ah, those bloody granary windows!

I did manage to fit a back board last weekend which is nice.

I have a couple of plans for today - one of which is to get the first of the Blue Point Turnout Controllers fully working. It's all a bit of a faff getting them fitted due to the rather poor method of baseboard construction I employed. I already had cutouts in the 50 mm insulation foam boards that I used to allow me to mount the Cobalt motors directly to the MDF that the track is mounted on, so I was pretty much committed to having to make these larger and cut tracks for the rods. All pretty nasty really...

Hopefully I'll be able to post a few photos later today.

Mike

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've done a bit of work at the loading platform end of the layout. A pile of ballast makes for replacement buffer stop.

DSC_0455_zpsysdthyzf.jpg

DSC_0457_zpskfvjtvtq.jpg

Sooner or later there will be an overbridge at this end of the layout. For while a while I've been toying with the idea of not having a scenic break but I think that I may want to operate the layout with a fiddle yard at some point in the future so a break makes that work better.

Here are some other pictures from tonight - poor lighting can easily be rectified adding some noise and getting rid of the colour!

DSC_0461_zpsmptvtmju.jpg

DSC_0467_zpssd8cnmmj.jpg

DSC_0468_zpseafevs7y.jpg

Mike

• Like 14