Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

Yes, as Hinge & Brackett used to say:  "Patience is a virtue as well as an operetta".  But please don't go all "holier than thou" on me, Graham and John.  My little side-project was meant to be a diversion from my much larger mainstream project out in a shed, simply because at my time of life and with my other commitments I barely have time enough for the main scheme.  So the whole point was to have been an easy to set-up, keep-it-in-the-house 'quickie' in construction terms, with all the stock out of the box or with minimal need for tweaking, primarily for fun rather than the more serious modelling on the 'other' layout that does aspire to some craftsmanship.

Having bought an O2 and Terrier some while back, I don't want to divert onto something else, and it's an itch I have to scratch.   I've kept thinking:  "Next year, surely!"  But it has been about 4 1/2 years now, and getting very dispiriting.  I can certainly understand that problems can arise during development, and in manufacture; I'm not daft.  But frankly, this is a little brake van, not a locomotive with sixteen different body variations to cater for; and anyway in my view models should not be announced until the development problems have been identified and largely overcome.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

But please don't go all "holier than thou" on me, Graham and John.

We're not - but I for one struggle to conceive of a "a little brake van" assuming such a major importance. Surely a place-holder will suffice for the duration? It'll turn up in due course.

As for Kernow, they have probably announced this model as a low priority, nice-to-do project - it's hardly going to generate a huge profit for them. If more lucrative (loco?) projects have encountered problems, I would expect them to divert resources to these, and to side-line the road van.

Such is life - chill, stressing is bad for you! (How do I know)?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
Corrected manufacturer's name
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Dont Smallbrook Studios (?) do a resin kit, which fits onto a RTR chassis for this? I've been tempted by one myself, as it seems to be a relatively easy way to get a respectable van.

• Agree 2

I suppose in my own head it's the "trigger" to make the start, that's why it assumes disproportionate importance.  It isn't as if I don't have more than enough to do on the main project anyway; life keeps getting in the way ...  I'd just like something to be "quick and easy" for once!

Cheers

M

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Dont Smallbrook Studios (?) do a resin kit, which fits onto a RTR chassis for this? I've been tempted by one myself, as it seems to be a relatively easy way to get a respectable van.

They do a few variations on LSWR vans. All of the ones I have done have their own resin chassis/floors in the kits as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SRman said:

They do a few variations on LSWR vans. All of the ones I have done have their own resin chassis/floors in the kits as well.

I have built the Smallbrook version of the smaller LSWR van that Kernow has announced. It was okay as a resin kit.  I tried building the Smallbrook larger LSWR road van kit but the castings were warped and broke when trying to straighten them in warm water. The kit I have has a Dapol chassis.   I had to fiddle a bit with the small van to get scale OO wheel sets to fit. Build up the chassis and get it running well before building the body.

I cancelled my pre-order for the Kernow small road van after it dragged on for years. But, when it finally arrives, I will probably buy one. 

The LSWR van I actually wanted was the LSWR 1543 brake van and I was holding out hope after Cambrian put it on their future development list. Unfortunately the owners of Cambrian retired and sold their business before a kit was developed.  The new owners of Cambrian dropped it.  Maybe they got wind that a RTR firm was going to do it.  And now Hornby has announced the 1543 Brake Van as an RTR offering for late 2019 and I have a pair on order. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The three Smallbrook vans I built (or am still finishing) under construction, in original LSWR condition. I will expect a higher standard of finish from the Kernow professional jobs, of course. :)

I have one more kit untouched of a Metropolitan Railway version.

37544878031_7f1cb4ebfc_b.jpgLSWR Road Vans Progress - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Edited by SRman
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I also eagerly await this road van. However, in the meantime I have examples from Smallbrook to  build. 

When they arrive, I will have a couple in various liveries. Until then......

Rob 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/04/2019 at 04:01, NHY 581 said:

I also eagerly await this road van. However, in the meantime I have examples from Smallbrook to  build. 

When they arrive, I will have a couple in various liveries. Until then......

Rob 

Although accepting that this project may be marginal from Kernow's viewpoint and that it is not a 'crowdfund', the order book for these road vans are still an asset on Kernow's books against which they can borrow to fund development of this or any other project. The longer the wait, the more the value of the order book erodes with inflation and the likelihood that people will cancel (not me I still have 3 on order). As one who is barely able to hold a pen, I envy those (e.g. cctransuk) who have the dexterity and confidence to build their own rolling stock and so instead must rely on my reserves of patience.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'll be interested to see what colour the handrails are on the finished LSWR models. There are only black and white photos to work from, and from all of the limited number of images I could find, the handrails appeared to be body-coloured, which is why they don't show up well on my 18t road van above. I note from the photo at the beginning of this topic that the handrails are white on a preserved example, but is that because of modern safety requirements rather than an accurate rendition of the pre-grouping livery?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2019 at 18:12, Tramshed said:

Although accepting that this project may be marginal from Kernow's viewpoint and that it is not a 'crowdfund', the order book for these road vans are still an asset on Kernow's books against which they can borrow to fund development of this or any other project. The longer the wait, the more the value of the order book erodes with inflation and the likelihood that people will cancel (not me I still have 3 on order). As one who is barely able to hold a pen, I envy those (e.g. cctransuk) who have the dexterity and confidence to build their own rolling stock and so instead must rely on my reserves of patience.

In light of recent events surrounding DJMODELS LTD I wonder about the future of this project?

On September, 19th 2014 DJM Dave commented: -

This is Kernow product as they have commissioned me to make it for them, footing all the costs.  Only they will be selling it and they will own the tools.

One assumes it will still progress assuming KMRC do indeed have full ownership of tooling, etc?

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1

I pre-ordered the pre-1936 and post-1936 SR versions a year ago.

But I'm now having second thoughts (about the options, not the purchase).

Modelling post-36 SR, would it be easier to renumber SB003J or repaint SB003H? Was the only difference the red ends?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, truffy said:

I pre-ordered the pre-1936 and post-1936 SR versions a year ago.

But I'm now having second thoughts (about the options, not the purchase).

Modelling post-36 SR, would it be easier to renumber SB003J or repaint SB003H? Was the only difference the red ends?

As and when we get livery renditions I'd expect both of these to have venetian red ends so the only difference should be the pre- or post-1936 lettering .......................... BUT don't forget the earlier style would have lasted for many years - even without Mr.Hitler's intervention ( I put my name down for the same two variants a couple of decades ago - or so it seems - for my 1948 layout.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

BUT don't forget the earlier style would have lasted for many years

Since my interest is literally within a couple of years of the changeover, this is a particularly pertinent observation.

I think I'll just leave things as they are, and have a little extra variety! :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

These do seem to be taking some time to finalise and other exclusive products seem to jump the queue. Maybe that’s an unfair observation but it’s my personal impression. Hey ho, they’ll be here eventually and to be fair to Kernow they do post updates when there is news to show. I was debating whether to cancel my order when the Hornby Warner brakes were announced but I held firm. It would be nice to have an update though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now, an old cynic like me might just wish this thread a

HAPPY FIFTH BIRTHDAY ! 

and, once more, lament the complete lack of public updates on this project ........

.......BUT the guy on the Kernow stand at Woking on Sunday advised that they're checking final details as received from the factory - so we may not have to hold our breaths too much longer !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I got back into OO when Kernow were commissioning Well Tanks and 02s - received them, played with them and 2 months back packed them away again leaving me sans model railway.

Sort of glad I didn't order a few of these now though I think i will still purchase one when they finally arrive, just like the two SECR vans from Rails that have yet to appear that I did pre-order.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Now, an old cynic like me might just wish this thread a

HAPPY FIFTH BIRTHDAY ! 

and, once more, lament the complete lack of public updates on this project ........

.......BUT the guy on the Kernow stand at Woking on Sunday advised that they're checking final details as received from the factory - so we may not have to hold our breaths too much longer !

But surely the whole of your current and future railway modelling doesn't hinge on the appearance - or not - of this particular brake van?

If the extended delivery time is an issue to you, you could have taught yourself to scratchbuild in plastic card, and had the model running, well within five years!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Sir, I have plenty of other projects to get on with rather than a couple of vans that I can hardly justify in my neck of the woods anyway ....................... but having said I'd purchase them when they were announced, I am now five years nearer my grave and have seen precious little official information to confirm that I'll ever see them  -  so when I DO get a snippet of news I'll pass it on for any others who might be waiting ............... of course, if I'm actually the only one who's ( still ) interested Kernow would be fully justified to cancel the project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

But surely the whole of your current and future railway modelling doesn't hinge on the appearance - or not - of this particular brake van?

If the extended delivery time is an issue to you, you could have taught yourself to scratchbuild in plastic card, and had the model running, well within five years!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

But everyone knows the minute you build your own and are about to add the decals that a superior RTR version appears in the shops.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But everyone knows the minute you build your own and are about to add the decals that a superior RTR version appears in the shops.

I'm waiting for someone to do just that, so I can buy this thing!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2