Hinton Ampner

emt_911

Duncan

Have a look at all the systems available from Digitraxx/Lenz as they are DCC compliant and have been used elsewhere.

I am having a lot of problems with NCE "mucking" around with CVs on sound fitted locos on a big layout as seen in January's Railway Modeller.

No problem with JMRI ..I use a SPROG to set CVS and JMRI manages that well.

Baz

Thanks Baz. More useful information.  At the moment I'm using MRC Prodigy Advanced 2. Depending on any pitfalls that I discover I may change.

For the detection and control hardware I'm unsure whether to go for SPROG, Digitrax or MERG

I have also been looking at BLOCKsignalling http://www.blocksignalling.co.uk/index.php

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not a great deal of modelling has taken place recently although some workbench tasks have been plodding along for Son of HA. Work and other real life issues have been getting in the way.

However, I have been doing a great deal of research as to what would be required for automation of parts of the layout whilst other areas, mainly yards are shunted.

The Digitrax hardware meets all of my hardware requirements without and excessive amount of work. As for the software, there are 2 options that I like. A small test plank will have to be built to find out which one works better for me.

• Like 4

Not a great deal of modelling has taken place recently although some workbench tasks have been plodding along for Son of HA. Work and other real life issues have been getting in the way.

However, I have been doing a great deal of research as to what would be required for automation of parts of the layout whilst other areas, mainly yards are shunted.

The Digitrax hardware meets all of my hardware requirements without and excessive amount of work. As for the software, there are 2 options that I like. A small test plank will have to be built to find out which one works better for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing which options you go for.

I'm looking forward to seeing which options you go for.

It's going to be between JMRI and RocRail. At the moment I prefer Rocrail but I'll have to see what the practical function tests work out.

It's going to be between JMRI and RocRail. At the moment I prefer Rocrail but I'll have to see what the practical function tests work out.

Never heard of either mate, does it involve a bit of still wire and a lever? hahah

Never heard of either mate, does it involve a bit of still wire and a lever? hahah

The software doesn't involve any wire but the connection to the control hardware does and even more when it comes to wiring it up. I suppose that I could get various levers to move when the points and signals do though.

However, you have given me an idea about working point levers in the yards.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've now got the start of the Digitrax system with the controller and a point control module. It arrived yesterday but by the time I got home from work I didn't even have time to unbox it.

I unpacked it tonight to make sure that it was all there.

Unfortunately I won't have time to set it up this week because of work, nor the weekend as there are already plans. Next week I'm working away so it looks like the following weekend before I can learn how to use it before connecting to the laptop.

Thanks to a few problems at work, I've had a bit of time at home over the last 2 days.

The Digitrax command station has been set up and to be honest I am starting to prefer it over the Gaugemaster Prodigy.

Rocrail has also been set up and I now have communication between the command station and the PC so good progress is being made.

The next step is getting the point decoder connected, set up and tested. This may have to wait a while thanks to work.

• Like 2

Work was cancelled today so I spent some time with the set up.

All points are now working through Rocrail and locos being driven via the software. I've now got to the point of requiring some more hardware for further testing.

Once the new hardware arrives and I have time to set it up I should be able to automate loco movements.

Progress is far more rapid than I expected

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Seven wagon kits for HA have been built and primed.

Still a lot to do though.

Wagons;

RTR or Built kits: 34

Still Required: 46

Coaches;

RTR or Built kits: 10

Still Required: 29

• Like 6

Seven wagon kits for HA have been built and primed.

Still a lot to do though.

Wagons;

RTR or Built kits: 34

Still Required: 46

Coaches;

RTR or Built kits: 10

Still Required: 29

Still at least it's progress mate, any pics?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

I can see why there is a great space between now and May and it must be frustrating not to be able to get on with it.  It sounds as if you have a great system planned but work and concerns are taking precedence but I will add it to my list and hope to see progress when things lighten up a bit.

Keep the faith and it will come 'good'.

Cheers, Peter 

Edit - spelling only PBB

Edited by PeterBB

Hi Duncan,

I can see why there is a great space between now and May and it must be frustrating not to be able to get on with it.  It sounds as if you have a great system planned but work and concerns are taking precedence but I will add it to my list and hope to see progress when things lighten up a bit.

Keep the faith and it will come 'good'.

Cheers, Peter 

Edit - spelling only PBB

Thanks Peter. A bit of time management reassignment is taking place to ensure that at least some modelling can take place.

• Like 2

A large dose of Didcot at the end of the month might spurn you on it normally works for me. :senile:

I already have my place booked and I'm looking forward to it.

The force is strong but the time is minimal. This will change shortly.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Totally ruined my plans for today which was meant to be outside.

I decided instead to print out one of the track plans for my large layout to check clearances and loco lengths. Once it was all stuck together :scared:  :scared: :scared:  

• Like 1

You have PLANS?     :O      Good grief man, you must be organised, :sungum:  :sungum:  hahhaha.

Any pics yet Duncan?

Definitely not organised just p155ed with the sh1t weather.

Pics? Unless it's unrolled outside (don't forget it's wet out there) I haven't got the space to lay it all out at home.

Definitely not organised just p155ed with the sh1t weather.

Pics? Unless it's unrolled outside (don't forget it's wet out there) I haven't got the space to lay it all out at home.

Much sympathy on the weather front [one of my better worst puns!!]  ....................................   but I really must have a word about your spelling!!    :O  :O  :O

J

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an excellent day at the RMweb Member's Didcot Tour today.

Lots of information and a lot more research to carry out.

The one thing that did make me think was Eisenhower's Collet Special Saloon which was a restaurant car. A bit of early research shows that his train was made up of 11 wagons and coaches.

When I find out more I'll post some information.

• Like 5