Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hinton Ampner

emt_911

I could do with transporting Shaun's massive workshop over here to make life easier.

I suppose a lottery win would do me good so that the right sized building could be acquired to allow it to be built in one go rather than two modules at a time.

The current thinking is work on Son of HA will carry on until the spring along with stock and loco builds. Spring will be the start of the boards and their storage.

Sounds like you have a Plan,,,,,,,,,,,at least YOU have a PLAN, hahhah.

• Like 1

Duncan,

14 coaches, I assume that you will not have them all on the layout at the same time?

Hi Chris

I hope I can as the scenic section is planned at 20 feet. The only issue that I can see is how long it takes to convert the coaches to the 7 different types

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I could do with transporting Shaun's massive workshop over here to make life easier.

I suppose a lottery win would do me good so that the right sized building could be acquired to allow it to be built in one go rather than two modules at a time.

The current thinking is work on Son of HA will carry on until the spring along with stock and loco builds. Spring will be the start of the boards and their storage.

• RMweb Premium

Huh. I typed out a nice long reply before we went out. Honest guv!

Let's try again...

If my workshop was in the UK no doubt I'd be kept very busy building baseboards. The perfect job me thinks!!

Did you see Hattons announced OO Warwell wagons as their new project earlier this week? Nice!

Somewhere I have an article in an old Railway Modeler on how to convert Ratio bogie bolsters into Rectank wagons, an easy conversion. These were used to transport AFVs during the war. There's a model I built lurking somewhere which involved reducing the sides, replacing the bolsters with some extra wood planking and the addition of four jacks. Will find it in the morning and take a pic. of it if you like.

I'm sure there was more but my mind is a little fuzzy this evening.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Huh. I typed out a nice long reply before we went out. Honest guv!

Let's try again...

If my workshop was in the UK no doubt I'd be kept very busy building baseboards. The perfect job me thinks!!

Did you see Hattons announced OO Warwell wagons as their new project earlier this week? Nice!

Somewhere I have an article in an old Railway Modeler on how to convert Ratio bogie bolsters into Rectank wagons, an easy conversion. These were used to transport AFVs during the war. There's a model I built lurking somewhere which involved reducing the sides, replacing the bolsters with some extra wood planking and the addition of four jacks. Will find it in the morning and take a pic. of it if you like.

I'm sure there was more but my mind is a little fuzzy this evening.

Regards Shaun

Thanks Shaun

If a photo of the model it would be appreciated.

Hopefully the fuzzy mind will be overcome soon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here you go..

post-8964-0-48490200-1477324085_thumb.jpg

The amount removed from the sides is evident by the height of the ends. 

The planking is from an Atlas timber load, the brake hand wheel is a Cambrian product.

post-8964-0-67172200-1477324100.jpg

Four jacks have been turned from 2mm evergreen rod in a cordless drill, (the slowest speed on the Dremel  is much too fast and will melt the plastic!)

It has Hornby wheels running in top hat bearings and Bachmann cranked couplings. I still need to add some weight, maybe gluing BB gun pellets underneath would work if they're not too big.

post-8964-0-72812000-1477324182.jpg

Regrards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi again Duncan.

The GWR would have used plate frame bogies on these wagons, so I think my model is inaccurate. Easily put right as Ratio also do plate frame bogies. Incidentally these wagons served in both wars!

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan I don't think Sasquatch is correct the GWR wagon bible states the C21 RECTANK had diamond frames & 2' 8 &1/2" wheels you will need photo evidence of plate frames if you go down that road  (photo's on your phone)

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

I hope I can as the scenic section is planned at 20 feet. The only issue that I can see is how long it takes to convert the coaches to the 7 different types

Duncan,

Once the layout is working and for private, that is unphotographed running sessions, you run 20 unconverted coaches, and, er, pretend.  You convert one, and run 1 Converted, and 19 unconverted, or more likely 1 converted and 18 unconverted with one in the workshop.  This is of course unless you convert several at a time.

• Like 1

Duncan,

Once the layout is working and for private, that is unphotographed running sessions, you run 20 unconverted coaches, and, er, pretend.  You convert one, and run 1 Converted, and 19 unconverted, or more likely 1 converted and 18 unconverted with one in the workshop.  This is of course unless you convert several at a time.

Hi Chris

I think it will depend on whether I pick them up over the coming winter or over a longer period. It's certainly becoming an interesting journey.

I've also uncovered some, but not enough information yet, about the GWR converted coaches and that a lot of the SR ones were converted wagons

• Like 3

Having had a good look around various kit suppliers, It seems like I'll be buying up some second hand 57' coaches and scratch build the sides. I can't even find any kits that are of the correct original diagram.

Yet another steep learning curve on the horizon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having found the article on military modeling in Railway modeler January 1996 I should point out that the author states his model is not completely authentic. 20 years ago I would have settled for "not entirely accurate models"!

I'd be interested if Bob (81C) could shed more light on how close the model is?

The other article by R.A.Anderson accounts for his first hand experience on the subject.
He states that Bovington Tank Museum might be a place of interest to anyone wishing to model your chosen subject!

Sherman fireflies arrived from the States at Liverpool in grey primer minus guns which of course were to be British 17 pounders!
Prior to the D-Day invasion 41 trains of 9 warflats were assembled with ramp wagons at either end and a tool van. Later 37 rakes of 10.  edit:That would be a 600ton train when loaded!
The 300 Warwells built to carry the Shermans were no so marshaled.

He also includes a table of allied tanks showing their weights and dimensions which indicates which tanks could be loaded onto which wagons!

Hope this is of help mate.

regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Duncan

are you sure you can't get the sides from Comet? I used a set of sides to produce an ex LMS coach used on the CLC. It had been used as an Ambulance coach during WW2. On return Derby took the  corridor connections off and refurbished it to put the seats back in.

I will dig out the Diagram Number and comet number.

Baz

• Like 3

Having found the article on military modeling in Railway modeler January 1996 I should point out that the author states his model is not completely authentic. 20 years ago I would have settled for "not entirely accurate models"!

I'd be interested if Bob (81C) could shed more light on how close the model is?

The other article by R.A.Anderson accounts for his first hand experience on the subject.

He states that Bovington Tank Museum might be a place of interest to anyone wishing to model your chosen subject!

Sherman fireflies arrived from the States at Liverpool in grey primer minus guns which of course were to be British 17 pounders!

Prior to the D-Day invasion 41 trains of 9 warflats were assembled with ramp wagons at either end and a tool van. Later 37 rakes of 10.  edit:That would be a 600ton train when loaded!

The 300 Warwells built to carry the Shermans were no so marshaled.

He also includes a table of allied tanks showing their weights and dimensions which indicates which tanks could be loaded onto which wagons!

Hope this is of help mate.

regards Shaun

Thanks for the information Shaun

I'm visiting Bovington on Thursday on my way down to Devon for a week. Hundreds of photos and measurements are going to be taken while I'm there

• Like 4

Duncan

are you sure you can't get the sides from Comet? I used a set of sides to produce an ex LMS coach used on the CLC. It had been used as an Ambulance coach during WW2. On return Derby took the  corridor connections off and refurbished it to put the seats back in.

I will dig out the Diagram Number and comet number.

Baz

Baz

I've just checked the Comet site again and Diagrams D2129 and D2130 aren't listed which is a pity. However, it may be a case of finding the closest and modifying

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan,

D2129 and D2130 were the diagrams given by the LMS when they rebuilt the coaches into Full Brakes.

The LM Period I coaches used were Third Opens D1692, Corridor composites D1694, Third corridors D1695 and Brake Third corridors D 1696 and Comet do all of these. You will need to do some mods to them though.

Baz

• Like 2