Hinton Ampner

emt_911

Hi Duncan, any pics of SoHA yet, or have I been asleep and missed them?

Not yet mate. I'll post them once I sort out the c0ck up with the copperclad only because I have to take a fair bit of it up to replace it. Fortunately it's only held in place with screws at the moment.

I'm just glad I lay the track in stages to eliminate problems later on

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob

I hadn't seen them but I haven't been on Ebay for a while. Although they are nice models unfortunately they are WW1 era

Are they that different?  The ones I saw [1:1 WWII] in pictures were very similar conversions from similar coaches.

J

Are they that different?  The ones I saw [1:1 WWII] in pictures were very similar conversions from similar coaches.

J

Although they look similar, they started off from different diagrams from what I've read so far. I have no problem with being proven wrong as this is turning into a fascinating research area.

That reminds me, I must organise a research day at the NRM for early next year.

• Like 1

Lots of research mate, this should be a masterpiece of perfection, I'm looking forward to it.

This is definitely going to be the last train(s) for the layout due to the amount of research and work required. Each of the big 4 built their ambulance trains differently using different rolling stock.

AND NO, I'M NOT BUILDING 4 DIFFERENT ONES. :no:  So there :beee:

• Like 1

My order of A3 size plasticard arrived today. I'm now in the process of marking it out for Son of HA. This will give me the practical knowledge I need before building the damaged bridge.

I also have a question. If I decided after laying and securing the track that I wanted to use electromagnets for Kadee couplings, does anyone know of anything suitable? I've had a look round the various threads and nothing fits with this scenario.

My order of A3 size plasticard arrived today. I'm now in the process of marking it out for Son of HA. This will give me the practical knowledge I need before building the damaged bridge.

I also have a question. If I decided after laying and securing the track that I wanted to use electromagnets for Kadee couplings, does anyone know of anything suitable? I've had a look round the various threads and nothing fits with this scenario.

I've run around there too, Duncan.  Apart from the Kadee own product I also found very little suitable.  A couple of guys made their own from various size nails / bolts, but it was quite a lot of trouble.  These were mainly 2 types, first a nail / bolt bent to a U shape and then wound, a second used  two shorter bolts which were wound from the same wire and a plate to connect the bottom of the bolts [needs a lot of care winding to prevent 2 x poles in the wrong ends].   Another possible one was to use the big, under-track Kadee magnet with a hinge at one end, so it can be dropped down away through a hole in the baseboard and lifted to be used.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Regards

J

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

I've run around there too, Duncan.  Apart from the Kadee own product I also found very little suitable.  A couple of guys made their own from various size nails / bolts, but it was quite a lot of trouble.  These were mainly 2 types, first a nail / bolt bent to a U shape and then wound, a second used  two shorter bolts which were wound from the same wire and a plate to connect the bottom of the bolts [needs a lot of care winding to prevent 2 x poles in the wrong ends].   Another possible one was to use the big, under-track Kadee magnet with a hinge at one end, so it can be dropped down away through a hole in the baseboard and lifted to be used.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Regards

J

I've seen the hinged solution which as well as being crude, would not be an ideal solution for HA as I'm going open frame.

As for making my own, it is a possibility as I have wound motor windings in the past.

Another solution may be to use these http://www.first4magnets.com/magnet-materials-standard-assemblies-c150/20mm-dia-x-15mm-thick-electromagnet-with-m3-mounting-hole-2-5kg-pull-3w-0-13a-p9714 I may order a couple and see what the results are

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen the hinged solution which as well as being crude, would not be an ideal solution for HA as I'm going open frame.

As for making my own, it is a possibility as I have wound motor windings in the past.

Another solution may be to use these http://www.first4magnets.com/magnet-materials-standard-assemblies-c150/20mm-dia-x-15mm-thick-electromagnet-with-m3-mounting-hole-2-5kg-pull-3w-0-13a-p9714 I may order a couple and see what the results are

I made my own, for Dinghams not Kadees, from El Cheapo Ebay electromagnets like these, with the core extended to be long enough to poke through the baseboard.

Details here.

They certainly have enough pull to operate the Dinghams reliably.

Duncan

• Like 1

I made my own, for Dinghams not Kadees, from El Cheapo Ebay electromagnets like these, with the core extended to be long enough to poke through the baseboard.

Details here.

They certainly have enough pull to operate the Dinghams reliably.

Duncan

Looks interesting. Especially your experiment. I think that there are some in the head office main stores that were ordered by mistake and weren't returned for some reason. The next time I'm there I'll have a look for them.

Not being in a festive mood with being on call, I sorted out the power problem on Son of HA.

However, when I started operating, it didn't feel right for me. So I ripped it all up and started again. The track plan is virtually the same but I think that it works better for me. Connections to the DCC Bus will hopefully be done tomorrow.

The only real problem that I've given myself is that the bridge no longer fits over the tracks. So, a new one will have to be constructed.

Oh well, lessons have been learnt

Not being in a festive mood with being on call, I sorted out the power problem on Son of HA.

However, when I started operating, it didn't feel right for me. So I ripped it all up and started again. The track plan is virtually the same but I think that it works better for me. Connections to the DCC Bus will hopefully be done tomorrow.

The only real problem that I've given myself is that the bridge no longer fits over the tracks. So, a new one will have to be constructed.

Oh well, lessons have been learnt

Any pics yet young Duncan?

Being on Call and a Ready meal for one is not the thing to put you in a festive mood, mind you I think I've slept most of the day.

Any pics yet young Duncan?

Being on Call and a Ready meal for one is not the thing to put you in a festive mood, mind you I think I've slept most of the day.

No pics yet, the area is a tip. One of these days I'll work on a layout and be tidy. If I can get the wiring done and tidy it up tomorrow, there will be some pics tomorrow evening.

Fortunately I'm not a fan of ready meals and tend to cook from fresh

I hope that you got what you wished for  today.

• Like 5

No pics yet, the area is a tip. One of these days I'll work on a layout and be tidy. If I can get the wiring done and tidy it up tomorrow, there will be some pics tomorrow evening.

Fortunately I'm not a fan of ready meals and tend to cook from fresh

I hope that you got what you wished for  today.

COOK????????     FRESH??????? Whats that all about?????? :O  :no: After Wife No 1 and before I met Dee and I was living on my own, and it was either Take away, or Crisps, I still cant Cook, :nono:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  I'm NOT a kitchen person, but I do the washing up,     I find that therapeutic. :stinker: