Hinton Ampner

emt_911

• RMweb Premium

This is the CLC version

post-7650-0-55159500-1477400581_thumb.jpg

I  am not sure if it should be in CLC brown but as Derby did the conversion I think LMS maroon would be OK

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

If you cannot find any sides from a kit, then try converting something simple with square windows, something that is easily recoverable if it is not brilliant.  (Anything with outside frames is suitable, wink, wink cough, cough.)  The two coaches I am in the middle of building have proved an invaluable learning experience and the outside frames cover up that my cutting out was rubbish.

I tried posting this last night but my internet gave up.  Obviously for your period square windows are not an option on coaches, but it is worth a thought.

This journey is getting more and more interesting as further information comes to light.

Baz. Your information is more than useful. I now have a decision to make. Do I go for the Comet coaches or Bachmann ones. Either way there are plenty of modifications to make.

Chris. It may yet be a possibility.

I'm off work for a week after tomorrow, so a few email enquiries will be composed to the RAMC museum and NRM. I'll then have to find time to visit both of them

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan

The Brake Third and Composite as you know are done by Bachmann. The Third Corridor is an easy conversion, best if you can pick up some cheap secondhand coaches. The conversion does mean two coaches being used. Method 1 you need to cut out all the windows and doors from the passenger end of the compartment side of the brake. Then remove 1st class doors and windows from the composite and replace with bit from the brake coach. The corridor side of the composite has two panels just past halfway. These need to be made into a window like all the other windows on the corridor side. Method two, cut off the brake end, and cut off the first class, stick the two third class ends together.

The period1 first corridor brake had different window arrangement, so the bits left over are not much use. Except, if stuck together, as the basic body for Third Open overlays.

I am not too sure that many would notice if the train was made up of two brakes and the rest composites.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Hi Duncan

The Brake Third and Composite as you know are done by Bachmann. The Third Corridor is an easy conversion, best if you can pick up some cheap secondhand coaches. The conversion does mean two coaches being used. Method 1 you need to cut out all the windows and doors from the passenger end of the compartment side of the brake. Then remove 1st class doors and windows from the composite and replace with bit from the brake coach. The corridor side of the composite has two panels just past halfway. These need to be made into a window like all the other windows on the corridor side. Method two, cut off the brake end, and cut off the first class, stick the two third class ends together.

The period1 first corridor brake had different window arrangement, so the bits left over are not much use. Except, if stuck together, as the basic body for Third Open overlays.

I am not too sure that many would notice if the train was made up of two brakes and the rest composites.

I like the thinking Clive. I might pick a couple up on Friday

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

or get some cheap Bachman ones , cut out the sides and add etched ones.... its not too difficult (apart from the door handles(!))

The Bachmann ones are showing their age (hence why you can get them reasonably cheaply.

Baz

• Like 2

A good drive down to the South West even with lots of fog first thing. I even got to Bovington before it opened although I stopped for breakfast on the way.

A worthwhile visit with hundreds of reference photos taken. I didn't get all the way round thanks to some of the exhibits bringing back some memories which I wasn't expecting. Another visit will have to be planned at some stage.

I got to the caravan earlier and after making sure that everything was sorted out, an eyelid inspection took place.

A relaxing evening with a bit of reading before a food and modelling supplies run in the morning.

• Like 5

A few photos from yesterday

Cromwell Mar IV - The type I'm interested in

post-6953-0-35444500-1477647418_thumb.jpg

RAM Kangeroo

post-6953-0-71575800-1477647449_thumb.jpg

Sherman Crab

post-6953-0-50518600-1477647484_thumb.jpg

And something that I didn't expect to find

post-6953-0-20896700-1477647527_thumb.jpg

I'll post some more later after relieving some of the local shops of rolling stock kits

• Like 9

A few photos from yesterday

Cromwell Mar IV - The type I'm interested in

attachicon.gifCromwell Mk IV.JPG

RAM Kangeroo

attachicon.gifRam Kangeroo.JPG

Sherman Crab

attachicon.gifSherman Crab.JPG

And something that I didn't expect to find

attachicon.gifBritish Armoured Train truck.JPG

I'll post some more later after relieving some of the local shops of rolling stock kits

Great set of pics Duncan, some really inspiring bits there for you to model.

Great set of pics Duncan, some really inspiring bits there for you to model.

Thanks Andy. I wish I'd visited years ago.

I took over 700 photos yesterday many of which were of detail. I can see me going back for another visit next year

• Like 3

Nice selection Duncan, now all you need is the spare time to build them.

Plenty of spare time at the moment, that's why I came away for a week.

I need to go shopping again tomorrow though. I haven't built a ratio kit before and they're all plastic wheels which I hate

• Like 2

Why? You can swap the wheels out later on. I have a fair few Romford OO wheels I will never use again if you want them?

Very true, but a phone call earlier means that I'll be passing anyway. What an excuse.

It might also mean a few more kits as well

• Like 3