2014 RHTT season

• RMweb Gold

Sandite mostly run as class 3 though they used to use class 8, might still depend on the region.

Some areas are water jet only. Sandite is good for traction but in certain areas the likelyhood of it causing trains to disappear means you have to block work the following train as a safety measure. So if not required it may be left off, things that require sandite would be stations with crossings near them, or junctions in known adhesion problem areas. Each train runs a certain circuit so if they've said there's no adhesion risk only wrong side track clear risk that set may be booked for that.

The MPV's and RHTT's can lay both or each individually with a tick sheet issued to the operator sitting alongside the driver to say which is required. We also sometimes will contact them to request slower speed passes without sandite, or adhesion modifier as it's now known, to clean contaminated railhead.

There are extra restrictions in for Signalboxes where equipment is activated by track circuits and barriers next to platforms are locked on Non Stop selection during the Leaf Fall period in case of overshoots. Add that to the extra trains and it can get quite busy even on a good day ;)

At Salisbury we have two MPV circuits plus a RHTT off the Western. Day circuits only at the moment, this week and next, then they add the night circuits too.

Sandite or Adhesion Modifier is a paste including sand and metal particles for contact through the sand formulated to stick around on the railhead. It's also used in static machines at certain places with treadles operated by the train pumping it into the rail. Makes a real mess if you stack it in unrestrained piles in a van too as one of my colleagues found out when he opened the rear doors ;)

• RMweb Premium

Sandite mostly run as class 3 though they used to use class 8, might still depend on the region.

Some areas are water jet only. Sandite is good for traction but in certain areas the likelyhood of it causing trains to disappear means you have to block work the following train as a safety measure. So if not required it may be left off, things that require sandite would be stations with crossings near them, or junctions in known adhesion problem areas. Each train runs a certain circuit so if they've said there's no adhesion risk only wrong side track clear risk that set may be booked for that.

The MPV's and RHTT's can lay both or each individually with a tick sheet issued to the operator sitting alongside the driver to say which is required. We also sometimes will contact them to request slower speed passes without sandite, or adhesion modifier as it's now known, to clean contaminated railhead.

I think all the RHTT's are class 3 - The sandite trains are 3Sxx and the water jet only 3Jxx

Here's a link to the RHTT workings, but don't know if you have to be a member of wnxx to access it (EDIT - you do have to be signed up to wnxx to access it - sorry!)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I think all the RHTT's are class 3 - The sandite trains are 3Sxx and the water jet only 3Jxx

Here's a link to the RHTT workings, but don't know if you have to be a member of wnxx to access it (EDIT - you do have to be signed up to wnxx to access it - sorry!)

Cheers,

Mick

In previous years some WCML workings have been Class 1 due to the need for the signallers to make sure they give them the path (ie not treat them as freight), and I believe they were cleared for faster speeds along those sections also?

• RMweb Gold

You can run the trains faster but it limits the effectiveness as they're designed to operate best at 40. It's 80% effective at 60 if memory serves so we do sometimes run them faster where time needs to be clawed back but not on bad days ;)

Control can respond to reports of problems by modifying the circuit during the run too if needed via the Signalboxes.

• RMweb Gold

The use of class 2 is not confined to passenger trains

The Anglia area ones must be starting very soon as the paths are now in the system for the maintenance moves - Stowmarket - Norwich and return - commencining Monday.

I was lucky to catch the Wirral line MPV whilst visiting family and friends

Rock Ferry

06 October 2014

DR98953 and DR98903 on 3S06, 04:20, Wigan L.I.P. - Wigan L.I.P. (13:25)

Does this run around the loop or turn back before?

Your photographs of the Merseyside railway scene are much missed Beast!

• RMweb Gold

Class codes are really about priority and speed rather than cast in stone for type. You would consider a 1,2 or 9 as passenger unless you have a notice otherwise and that tells you it can't go on goods lines unless the notice says so, as with an mpv or charter. 1z99 is the standard headcode for a rescue train whether it's empty units or a loco. If it's an in service passenger it keeps it's own code if rescuing another.

Hi all,

According to realtimetrains, there's some interesting RHTT action tomorrow in the north of Scotland.  

We start with a 10:00am from Inverness, passing Dyce at 14:07 and proceeding to Dundee (reverse) and getting back to Dyce at 19:06

Meanwhile, 3S95 leaves Inverness at 15:30 and gets to Dyce at 18:49.

Then, if I understand correctly, they combine (depart Dyce 19:19) and return to Inverness, arriving at 23:31 

Any idea what the motive power will be?

Just for good measure, the diverted Inverness to Euston sleeper passes Dyce at 22:00. 

Thanks,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

You can run the trains faster but it limits the effectiveness as they're designed to operate best at 40. It's 80% effective at 60 if memory serves so we do sometimes run them faster where time needs to be clawed back but not on bad days ;)

Control can respond to reports of problems by modifying the circuit during the run too if needed via the Signalboxes.

i once had orders to run at 20 between dorrington and church stretton instead of the booked 40 while jetting the result being the train ran out of water with 20 miles of the circuit to go

and of course there is the classic tale of jetting the cambrian where someone had the bright idea of laying sandite on the single line on tallerddig bank while heading towards machynlleth and then water jetting on the way back (spot the mistake!)

i'm not involved with the rhtt this year with colas, nice if we have a quick 'season' this year as we did a few years back, the combination of wind and heavy rain bought the leaves down quickly and the worst of it was over after a couple of weeks, compared to previous years where its been mild and the leaves have taken a while to fall which meant the silly season lasted a few months, way into january if i remember

Hi all,

The 10:00am ex Inverness was cancelled today, but 3S95 made it to Dyce, where 67007 ran around (picture below) and returned from where it came...    I'm sure I'm the only person not to know this, but why does 67007 have white numbers at one end?  

Thanks,

Bill

post-1715-0-46302600-1413140591.jpg

• RMweb Gold

... I'm sure I'm the only person not to know this, but why does 67007 have white numbers at one end?

Just guessing but is it fading? as I've seen a couple where the main bodyside numbers are almost white.

• RMweb Gold

20308 and 20312 were operating on the West Yorkshire circuit today with 3S22, 18:29 Gilberdyke to Hall Royd Junction.

Reversing at Bradford Interchange allowed time for a few photos.

RHTT

• RMweb Gold

The GE mainline run started this morning - not the sunniest one we've had.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H31552/2014/10/14/advanced

Diss

14 October 2014

57010 and 57009 on 3S60, 04:54, Stowmarket D.G.L. - Stowmarket D.G.L. (17:55) - RHTT ) via Wymondham, Norwich, Southend, Clacton and others !

post-6662-0-91860400-1413273306_thumb.jpg

Archived