Unsolicited PMs, spammers, etc.

I was somewhat peturbed to receive the following by PM just now from a RMWeb Forum subscriber named "doris2014", who I note has no posts to his/her name, and may have joined the Forum only for spamming purposes - possibly with the intention of committing some sort of advance fee fraud or similar scam. PM reads as follows:

"Hello Friend

I saw you Profile and I found it very interesting, please could write me at my private email ( mrsgomesdoreen2014@gmail.com ) so that i can tell you more about myself and also confidential things that will favour the both of us, thank you for your understanding and hope to hear from you soon. Do not fail to reply at my private email because you will benefit on what i have to tell you, God bless you.

Doreen

mrsgomesdoreen2014@gmail.com"

Has anyone else received a similar PM in the last 24 hours?

• RMweb Gold

It's on a 419 blacklist -- see:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22mrsgomesdoreen2014%40gmail.com%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=b24yVIXjFNSZ1AWo4IGgDw

Sign-up is probably from a human captcha-farm in the Far East or Russia. Usually kids paid 1p for every 500 captchas solved. Not much Andy can do about it apart from manually checking every new sign-up.

Delete and forget is always the best response -- and here I am responding. :(

Martin. 

• RMweb Gold

Am tempted to ask what adjectives Doris used when describing stubby or boris of this parish?

In Stu's case it would be something like: "I'm told you do interesting things with cardboard. Please contact me..."  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Am tempted to ask what adjectives Doris used when describing stubby or boris of this parish?

In Stu's case it would be something like: "I'm told you do interesting things with cardboard. Please contact me..."  ;)

In the loo, at that!

Yes, I got one - exactly the same as Horsetan's.

Yes, I reported it.

Yes, I hoped it was from Jamie Leigh Curtis ("True Lies"), or Mallard's Avatar (you know the one !)

No, it didn't mention cardboard, or toilets, or Shepherds (or sheep !).

Bit peeved to think I'm now classed in the same category as Boris..... (who I still suspect is Mod6)...

Disgruntled / Disappointed of Cornwall.

Disappointingly this happened whilst I was on the road just about to head into a meeting. As soon as I could I froze the spammers account and I've just been able to delete the messages sent (90+ of them), however some users will probably have had email notifications and then can't find their rewards from the delightful Doris when they arrive here.

We very rarely suffer from spammers as a result of the CAPTCHA check at registration tied in with a human check via a model railway related question. Each PM was sent individually so this looks like an example of someone physically copy and pasting into individual PMs. Linked withe human check it makes me think it's a trouble-maker rather than a vanilla spammer - but the net result should be the same - don't click on the link etc.

Sorry for the inconvenience but this is the first instance of this specific type in many years.

• RMweb Gold

I had one of these in my LinkedIn account a couple of days ago. I should have been suspicious having a link request from a banker from Africa, and Lo and behold I was told one of my relatives was killed in a Chinese earthquake and I'd inherited $5 million. Deleted, reported. It seems as though email spam filters are working well, so fora and other social networking channels are their next line of attack.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I still find it amazing that people must fall for this c**p, otherwise it wouldn't happen. I've been getting multiple CV's the last few days (not via RMweb, I hasten to add), just send your details & the jobs yours..

So own up, which of you 90 odd, replied to it?

Thanks Andy for getting rid of it promptly.

• RMweb Gold

Today I had to re-sign-in to RMweb again, preceded by a cookie warning while not having cleared any cookies from RMweb in the first place! (none at all, really)

I also get this, occasionally, but put it down to the large number of different machines I use to access RMweb ( minimum of 6, sometimes more than one at the same time...)

• RMweb Gold

Today I had to re-sign-in to RMweb again, preceded by a cookie warning while not having cleared any cookies from RMweb in the first place! (none at all, really)

I am getting this a lot at the moment - I've had to sgn in a couple of times today and it was at least half a dozen times yesterday.  Deleting the cookie does seem to sort things but the 'sort' isn't lasting all that well until it happens again.

Problems with the software somewhere or is it at our end?

I was somewhat peturbed to receive the following by PM just now from a RMWeb Forum subscriber named "doris2014", who I note has no posts to his/her name, and may have joined the Forum only for spamming purposes - possibly with the intention of committing some sort of advance fee fraud or similar scam. PM reads as follows:

"Hello Friend

I saw you Profile and I found it very interesting, please could write me at my private email ( mrsgomesdoreen2014@gmail.com ) so that i can tell you more about myself and also confidential things that will favour the both of us, thank you for your understanding and hope to hear from you soon. Do not fail to reply at my private email because you will benefit on what i have to tell you, God bless you.

Doreen

mrsgomesdoreen2014@gmail.com"

Has anyone else received a similar PM in the last 24 hours?

Yes; I've also had (not via RM, I should add), a spate of messages advising me that 'You have a voicemail awaiting you on Microsoft Exchange Server'. They'd be more convincing if they didn't use many different versions of our mail address, and if the link wasn't a PDF..

• RMweb Gold

Problems with the software somewhere or is it at our end?

Hi Mike,

Probably neither -- it is most likely problems with your internet service provider.

The usual cause of this is that you have two cookies with the same name where you should have only one. The RMweb software keeps resetting one of them, but your browser keeps returning the other (wrong) one. Deleting all RMweb cookies will solve the problem until it happens again.

The cause seems to be an internet congestion issue just at the moment the cookie is being set. That's why you get a sudden spate of them when your ISP is having troubles, and then it clears up for a while when they are not.

regards,

Martin.

Archived