First look set to lose Scotrail franchise

MacBellio will take a wee while to roll out then?

Oh no, not another acornym formed from rail operators names

Anyway, Abellio take over from Wednesday, and virtually nothing changes

However, I can see there being a staff shortage and cancellations during the first half of Wednesday (union reps advising staff not to proceed any further as they are not trained to amend uniforms)

Expect to see loads of staff wearing their old First uniforms and a variety of ScotRail Hi-vis jackets to cover them up!

I have a friend who is a union stalwart and has already advised he will be turning up on Wednesday in the provided uniform and not amending it in anyway

A similar issue exists on the Class 156, but that is the standard to be used

Class 156 doors aren't on the corners, so you still get the half-Saltire complete, allowing the livery to work.  On the MkII the intended effect is obliterated completely.  

A better solution would be to reverse the livery across the door, with the blue cross on white.  

Class 156 doors aren't on the corners, so you still get the half-Saltire complete, allowing the livery to work.  On the MkII the intended effect is obliterated completely

When you read the livery specification the centre doors on the Class 156 remove the intended Saltire, in exactly the same way as two loco hauled coaches beside each other

Where this occurs a larger logo should be used, and this is why the Class 156 and loco hauled coaches carry these larger logos in the centre of the bodyside

A better solution would be to reverse the livery across the door, with the blue cross on white

The livery specification does not permit changes in colours for the end of coach saltire, but it does allow repositioning of the logo, so the remaining saltire does remain visible

Furthermore, the door must be one main colour only

It's that single colour rule which ruins many an otherwise good livery.

Still, if it helps one in a billion people.

EDIT:  so as to not offend anyone, I understand the aim of the standard, which is to assist partially-sighted people in identifying which are the doors of a train.  However, in typical UK state-speak it has been applied crudely as a blunt instrument, when it could have been framed far more intelligently, without losing any of its intended impact.  As if the shape of doors, and the presence of illuminated push-buttons and door sounders wasn't sufficient on new rolling stock...  

a day of First's in Scotland today (except for First Group!) as it is the 1st day of Abellio operation today, First Caledonian Sleeper and I gather what should also be the first day of the 68s on the Fife Circle as well.

Found this video tonight of the first two DRS 68s in ScotRail livery complete with ScotRail & DRS Mk2s.

• RMweb Premium

Is the one colour rule something everything is going to have to conform with, or just the specifications for Scotrail? I'm not arguing the purpose of it, just the details, so e.g. Virgin's black and white stripy doors are definitely not one colour but do make them stand out.

It's that single colour rule which ruins many an otherwise good livery.

Still, if it helps one in a billion people.

I'm not taking offence, as I'm not affected (yet, although my gran was nearly blind by the time she died), but according to the website of BrightFocus, a nonprofit organisation working to find a cure for macular degeneration:

"The risk of getting advanced age-related macular degeneration increases from 2% for those ages 50-59, to nearly 30% for those over the age of 75."

More than 1 in a billion I reckon. Much more.

But yes, unimaginative and lazy application of the rule does sometimes ruin a good livery.

David

Is the one colour rule something everything is going to have to conform with, or just the specifications for Scotrail?

I assume you are referring to the doors?

If so, the DDA requires that doors are of a contrasting colour to the main body colour and use no more than two main colours and one minor colour, none of which may be on the surrounding bodywork

The first Caledonian Sleeper operated by Serco has left Fort William. Engine and coaches all matching in the new midnight teal livery. Must say, I think they look gorgeous.

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2015/04/01/inaugural-caledonian-sleeper-leaves-fort-william/image/5465

Great use of a rather good logo. The C S element is neat. This also shows how doors can be made compliant without sacrificing an overall livery that works with the vehicle's features.

• RMweb Premium

Great use of a rather good logo. The C S element is neat. This also shows how doors can be made compliant without sacrificing an overall livery that works with the vehicle's features.

Of course the CS livery is only being applied to a limited pool of vehicles, Mk2 and Mk3, both of which have similar doors at the end. So the livery has been designed around the need for the contrasting colour.

The problem with the Scotrail livery is it must go on many many classes, most of which have doors in the middle. Indeed when it was designed there wasn't even thought to paint Mk2s in it. I agree it could've been applied better though. Maybe some black or blue spots to continue the Saltire stripes?

The first Caledonian Sleeper operated by Serco has left Fort William. Engine and coaches all matching in the new midnight teal livery. Must say, I think they look gorgeous.

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2015/04/01/inaugural-caledonian-sleeper-leaves-fort-william/image/5465

It does look rather smart, if not cleverly applied with full height Vinyl's - the end of the coaches still in First Group blue is the give away.

Archived