Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

They have updated the webpage at  http://www.oxfordrail.com/ to this

His past is hidden from me now.

But be quite clear I make this vow.

To find the truth of why he went.

Those buried thoughts that he has sent.

The steam, the dust, which filled his eyes.

The coal, the sweat, that made him cry.

The heat, the smoke, which made him die.

Oh why, oh why, oh why, oh why...

2nd last line Die - reference to Die cast perhaps?

Last line there are 4 Oh's , 4 whys, and 2 words each time 4-4-2 or it could be with the Oh leading 0-4-4 0h - 4Whys - 4 times

Dont know any more...

Well at least we know its 00 guage railways, I wondered what it was all about as well...

NL

A Tribute to the Fallen,.....maybe...

I was interested to read about the history of Oxford Diecast from wikipeadia (assuming its correct) in that initially they operated from the old Mattel Corgi factory in Swansea, producing diecast models some of which were for third parties, including Corgi, who had shifted most production to China. I believe the business was set up by some former Corgi employees. What was most interesting was that when Oxford moved production from Swansea to China, they set up and managed the factory, so were not involved with a subcontract producer. Don't know if that is still the case, but if so they may have an advantage in production organisation. Don't know if the rail range will be produced at the same factory, but as they already have Mazak dicast tool and plastic injection tool experience, it would seem to be highly likely

• RMweb Premium

A Tribute to the Fallen,.....maybe...

Could well be, the countdown finishes on the Saturday before Remembrance Sunday. Several railway companies produced/named/renamed locomotives in memory of the fallen. Perhaps the prototype is one of these locomotives.

Hi Guys,  Just want to state that I along with Adrianabs, think that the market is showing signs of getting overheated.  With Bachmann pulling the plug on small retailers, Hornby changing their marketing policies also dumbing down their models and Dapol/Kernow rushing models to the market etc.  Yet we have another player with Oxford Rail.

Are we yet to see another Airfix/Mainline scenario played out that gave rise to the swap meets of the 80's.  Good for the modeler, but not so good for the manufacturer.  I hope not.

What I see at the shows is a modeling public which is getting older, few younger people now involved with the hobby.  Getting old means retirement, retirement means less cash and more time to spend on your hobby, so what do you chose to do, buy a kit and use your time building it.  Does not help the RTR manufacturer unless they move into the kit market.

We the modeling public have got in a tiz before due to some announcement by a manufacturer only to be disappointed when the product appears.  I am sure Oxford Rail know what they are doing, they certainly have caused a storm with the advert.

Loconutss 

• RMweb Premium

Yet Realtrack has entered the market and is going from strength to strength. A parallel can be drawn between Realtrack and Oxford in that both companies are very customer focused and more in touch with their customers. More so than Hornby or Bachmann perhaps? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,  Just want to state that I along with Adrianabs, think that the market is showing signs of getting overheated.  With Bachmann pulling the plug on small retailers, Hornby changing their marketing policies also dumbing down their models and Dapol/Kernow rushing models to the market etc.  Yet we have another player with Oxford Rail.

Are we yet to see another Airfix/Mainline scenario played out that gave rise to the swap meets of the 80's.  Good for the modeler, but not so good for the manufacturer.  I hope not.

What I see at the shows is a modeling public which is getting older, few younger people now involved with the hobby.  Getting old means retirement, retirement means less cash and more time to spend on your hobby, so what do you chose to do, buy a kit and use your time building it.  Does not help the RTR manufacturer unless they move into the kit market.

We the modeling public have got in a tiz before due to some announcement by a manufacturer only to be disappointed when the product appears.  I am sure Oxford Rail know what they are doing, they certainly have caused a storm with the advert.

Loconutss 

Perhaps we should put the DfT in charge of model railways as well as real ones, that should stiffle all these manufacturers. We could have a model IEP powered by two-rail electricity, but with the option of clockwork for those who don't want to electrify :)

More seriously, we live in interesting times. In many ways yes, the market is over heating, yet there is a current thread running on here bemoaning the lack of a RTR suburban DMU. We see comments about the lack of GWR coaching stock to hang on the draw hook of numerous locos. Perhaps that is a sign that the collectors market is the one the manufacturers benefit most from. Another recent thread on here asked why Bachmann had produced a 3 pack on 16t mineral wagons in NCB internal user livery, saying that they weren't much use to most modellers. True, but conversely if they wring a few quids worth out of profit out of them to invest in something "more interesting" who are we to complain? I have no idea of the figures, but if 80% of models go to collectors but we 20% of modellers get something we want, why worry? Of course if the collectors market is strongly for locos and all we can realisitically model with the available items is a loco shed we're a bit stuck.

I wonder what the 2014 market will look like from 2020, or 2025?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Loconutss 

Where are you posting from because you seem rather askew on the facts.  Since when have Bachmann pulled the plug on small retailers?  That doesn't seem to be the case with one not too far from where I live nor indeed with some you see at shows - is it different where you live?  Yes, Hornby have definitely changed their sales policy, and slashed trade margins, but I'm not so sure about their marketing which seems to have changed very little.  And when did Dapol last rush anything to the marketplace, most of their progress seems more snail like than 'rushing'!  And I certainly haven't noticed Kernow rushing anything although they do seem to be picking up speed in getting stuff developed since moving away from Dapol manufacture.

And what an odd generalisation about retirement and 'less cash' - if the auction rooms are any guide the ones with the cash are those spending the 'grey £' while on a trip up the Norwegian coast earlier this year the entire British clientele consisted of pensioners of one sort or another.  Simple fact is that a substantial chunk of pensioners are mortgage free, many of us have final salary based pensions which are usually index linked (which are going to be less common in future of course) and some of us have several pensions.  Simple fact is that in many hobbies those spending the money are the older ones because younger folk have commitments like mortgages and offspring which consume their income - hence you don't see them out spending money - and there is nothing new in that, I have far more discretionary spending power now, as a pensioner, than I ever had during a goodly chunk of my working life when I was paying a mortgage.  And the interesting thing is that there are still plenty of older and mortgage free folk coming along, often with property to downsize from and create some cash to spend.

As for 'getting in a tiz'  (more commonly called 'frothing') I think we have the internet to blame for that.  The simple fact is that we're no longer limited to chatting in a small circle of fellow customers in a local model shop or at a club, or discussing things through the slow medium of a magazine's correspondence columns.  We can now, virtually instantly, splash our views, hopes, fears, likes or whatever on the internet among groups of like minded folk and inevitably - especially with teaser campaigns such as this - all sorts of chat starts, develops, fades, resumes or ends because we like to make our views known and very often when we do someone will either agree or disagree; the world of communication has changed.

• Like 3

Hi guys,  i agree a lot with Mike has written however the Bachmann rumour came fro the Bachmann site published here.  Also the grey£ is being spent on cruises not models, yes the pensioners have spending power but it is being directed into other areas, ask my wife, she has booked me into two holidays for next year and she wants to go and see this and that show etc.  Who's paying for it? me.

The internet was not around when Lima announced its entry into the 7mm market, that did cause a stir with a big disappointment.

Anyway enough speculation, I think I have cracked it.  It is not a English Loco, but a Welsh one.  Oxford Rail is a Welsh company based in Swansea which is in Wales and a Welsh Railway company had a ex-Adams radial or a similar looking loco, I cannot remember which company as I have not got my OPC GWR absorbed loco book here anymore.

The poem is easy, they have a relative of Dylan Thomas working for them who wants to make a name for themselves.

Loconuts 

however the Bachmann rumour came fro the Bachmann site published here. 

Frankly I'd have removed your previous two postings except for the fact that it would affect continuity. Bachmann are not pulling the plug on any small retailers and there's nothing on Bachmann's site to give rise to any 'rumours'. Several users have felt your posts are trolling but I'd best describe some of the content as inaccurate, misleading and potentially libellous so I would very strongly suggest you consider what you're posting and keep to facts rather than imaginary rumours.

Consider this a final warning over accuracy of information please.

• Like 9

Hi guys,  i agree a lot with Mike has written however the Bachmann rumour came fro the Bachmann site published here.

Loconuts 

Why did you not pull the plug on those guys who started this rumour.  I was only quoting what has been written by someone else or has free speech been banned.

For your information there is nothing libellous in my e-mails legally.  If you or your backers wish to make a case I would be very happy in meeting you in court.  I have only suggested at what might happen if the market place overheats which it is showing signs of doing.

This is a web site in which contributors can air their views whether they are right or wrong and I am sure in stating that the majority of contributors are quite happy to be corrected if they have got some facts wrong, I know I am.

You may not like what I am saying personally but that is your prerogative.  But I am allowed to air my views as anyone else as long as I do not insult them or damage their reputations with falsehoods.

Loconuts

Why did you not pull the plug on those guys who started this rumour.  I was only quoting what has been written by someone else or has free speech been banned.

For your information there is nothing libellous in my e-mails legally.  If you or your backers wish to make a case I would be very happy in meeting you in court.  I have only suggested at what might happen if the market place overheats which it is showing signs of doing.

This is a web site in which contributors can air their views whether they are right or wrong and I am sure in stating that the majority of contributors are quite happy to be corrected if they have got some facts wrong, I know I am.

You may not like what I am saying personally but that is your prerogative.  But I am allowed to air my views as anyone else as long as I do not insult them or damage their reputations with falsehoods.

Loconuts

Hi,

I rather think you shoot your own arguments down here.

What the moderator is saying is that you should not repeat unsubstantiated and very possibly untrue 'rumours'.

I feel that many will agree with the Moderator  - who it has got to be said, has been very tolerant over your posts.

He has asked you reasonably to not do so again - I think many of us on here will agree with that wish.

For this kind of rumour spreading to continue will only hurt the relationship between RMWeb and manufacturers - something none of us would wish to see i'm certain.

Lets get this thread back on track and serving its original useful and enjoyable purpose.

Regards

Loconuts

I can only guess that you're refering to this instance - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85940-possible-production-problems-for-far-east-manufactured-models/page-7&do=findComment&comment=1603572 - as you will see a response was given and there's no reason to make the comments that you did if you had read all of the material. Poorly briefed people repeating rumours are quite likely to see their 'free speech' curtailed if they can't match it with a responsible approach.

contributors can air their views whether they are right or wrong

There's a difference between offering an opinion and making false statements (as you have)

But I am allowed to air my views as anyone else as long as I do not insult them or damage their reputations with falsehoods.

But you did make a potentially damaging statement by perpetuating a falsehood; this means all your future posts will be checked before publication which inevitably means a delay, if there is anything in breach of forum rules it will simply be deleted.

If you or your backers wish to make a case I would be very happy in meeting you in court.

It won't be me taking you to court, I'm just trying to protect you from your own stupidity from the actual party libelled.

Since joining you've got quite a few backs up and I'd honestly suggest a more circumspect attitude otherwise all posting access will be removed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right now that we have seen the back of that off topic sillyness, back to the matter in hand.  What are Oxford Rail planning?

First off I reckon it's an Adams radial.  Then I suspect they will be 'wishlist skimming' but going for smaller engines in order to keep the costs down so a study of past wishlist results might tell a story.  there seems to be little coming out of what they might have looked at in the real world as any sort of guide, for example I understand that they haven't done any measuring or scanning on the surviving radial (but then equally that might mean they are going to announce something else!).

If you look at the top end of the 2013 00 poll there are 3 BR Standards, all relatively small, none yet announced,; the LNER K1 (Hornby); the Adams radial (at least 3 and possibly 4 companies were working on it - how many will still announce is a matter for conjecture);  SR S15 (no news or hints); Class 120 dmu (haven't got a clue but could be a natural for Realtrack?); Class 71 (DJM); LSWR 700 (Hornby); the third standard - 84XXX 2-6-2T (no news or hints) and the same goes for the SR U; LNER J15 (Hornby); LBSCR H2 atlantic (Bachmann); SR H 0-4-4T (no news  or hints); SR (original) MN - again no news or hints;  GWR steam railmotor.

That's all the loco/traction items in the top 20 of last year's poll and what is currently in the public arena for all of them, as far as I can say.  Logically if Oxford Rail are wishlist skimming and going for smaller locos their first choice would be the H even tho' it involves making a workable 0-4-4T from a seemingly inexperienced starting point, the other one would be the 84XXX standard 2-6-2T as Bachmann don't so far have seemed to move towards doing it although it would be a natural for them.

I'm pretty sure it's a Parry People Mover.  My logic below 

1. Cradley Heath is exactly 52.81 Nautical miles from Oxford.  
  2. 52.81 is 3 x 17.60, which is a popular gauge of model railway in the Black Country and at Brasenose College, Oxford.
  3. The Morris Oxford was a motor car, and the Parry People Mover employs a motor car engine.  
  4. The PPM is a Class 139 and there are on average 139 people waiting on Oxford Station platform 3 for the 1654 to Bedwyn on Thursdays.  
  5. In the 1960s John Parry, founder of PPM, invented the popular Oxford Bags style of gentleman's trouser. 
  • Like 2