Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

I'm still alive and hopefully many others who have seen it in preservation.

Are you sure?  Judging by your profile picture, you're not looking terribly well - even before that fast-approaching Deltic prototype runs you down!

Are you sure?  Judging by your profile picture, you're not looking terribly well - even before that fast-approaching Deltic prototype runs you down!

No, that's the British equivalent of Baron Samedi ("the man who never dies") sat on the front buffer beam of a train in Live and Let Die!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It'll be interesting to see how much synergy Oxford Rail will develop with Oxford Diecast's road vehicles.

e.g., they could develop a Lyme Regis branch theme:

Adams Radial and appropriate branch line carriage(s),

a connecting Southern National bus,

appropriate Devon or Dorset-based lorries and vans,

cars modelled with Dorset and/or Devon number plates

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh b*****. I've got two kits on the shelf. One is being sold at the moment. I wish that I'd put them both up a couple of weeks ago.

This makes fifteenth R-T-R model to make the kits that I've got obsolete!

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

I think people who describe the prototype as obscure should remember that the 50th anniversary of the end of steam is fast approaching and the only locos that will have much meaning to the average modeller are those that are preserved. This was brought home to me when I bought a book, the last year of the duchesses, a 50th anniversary.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

........................ This was brought home to me when I bought a book, the last year of the duchesses, a 50th anniversary.

Roger

OMG you're making me feel old. I just realised I saw my first one over 60 years ago.

Recently my Dad was telling my Grandson about seeing Coronation on the Coronation Scot at Glasgow when travelling to the Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park in the summer of 1938.

The preserved one, worked on the East Kent Light railway before being taken by the Southern and used at Lyme Regis.

It retained a more historical boiler than the other pair which is why it ended being preserved.

Looking at the vote lists, this is a very popular subject but I doubt for manufacturers if the rumours are true.

• RMweb Premium

I,ve been a fan of their military scale vehicles in recent times, made a change to British subjects instead of German ones done by others.

Can,t wait for details on this model, however I think Kernow was intending their own to be announced at Warley ( or it's the same model!).

I was wondering the same thing. Apparently Oxford have produced model railway items for a third party so they might be doing so now in conjuction with Kerno or some other trader. A lot of Oxfords diecast models are initially produced for the likes of Atlas and Eddie Stobart, those companies finance the developement costs and have first call on the production but eventually the products are incorporated into the Oxford range.

Adams Radial! Apart from being pretty obscure, I wonder just how many people survive who have seen one working?

Regards

Although i well understand the idea that models can evoke pleasant memories, I personally like to think that they can also provide an impression of things we weren't around to see and no longer survive. This is clearly true of most of the infrastructure that made up the "steam railway" but also much of the rolling stock too. Therefore I wouldn't mind at all if Oxford were to eventually provide something like the Bachmann./ NRM "National Collection in Miniature" but featuring the stuff that didn't make it. 

It may sound a bit odd but being born in 1961 to a family with no inclination to take me to watch the trains, I have no memories of any steam loco (or many non-steam types) working in anger so to speak. From that starting point all such things were obscure so as things stand I've got the same chance of seeing an LMS Garratt, A Blue Pullman or an LNWR "Greater Britain". Archive film, books and models will have to do. This is not to disagree with PenrithBeacon's point which I do take on board, but there is another way of looking at it.

RP

• RMweb Gold

Adams Radial! Apart from being pretty obscure, I wonder just how many people survive who have seen one working?

Regards

I'm only 62 and used to travel behind them regularly so I'd guarantee there are a hell of a lot more than ever saw 'Cock o' the North' running in P2 form!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering the same thing. Apparently Oxford have produced model railway items for a third party so they might be doing so now in conjuction with Kerno or some other trader. A lot of Oxfords diecast models are initially produced for the likes of Atlas and Eddie Stobart, those companies finance the developement costs and have first call on the production but eventually the products are incorporated into the Oxford range.

I think we can now forget any of the other folk who were working towards the radial actually producing it as Oxford are a long way ahead so will inevitably take the top cream off the market with everyone else in what has turned out to be a race likely to be at least a year to 18 months away (from now) going into full production.

• RMweb Gold

The preserved one, worked on the East Kent Light railway before being taken by the Southern and used at Lyme Regis.

It retained a more historical boiler than the other pair which is why it ended being preserved.

Looking at the vote lists, this is a very popular subject but I doubt for manufacturers if the rumours are true.

The boilers got swapped around fairly often. 30583 just happened to have the Adams one when the music stopped. The main reason for it surviving was that it was in the best mechanical condition of the three. 30584 in particular was in a dreadful state by the time it was withdrawn 

As for the multiple rumours, Oxford's announcement will only be duplicated if somebody is confident they can get one out sooner. The others will just go quiet. No one is going to announce the cancellation of something they weren't "officially" planning to make in the first place. 

John

• RMweb Gold

It'll be interesting to see how much synergy Oxford Rail will develop with Oxford Diecast's road vehicles.

e.g., they could develop a Lyme Regis branch theme:

Adams Radial and appropriate branch line carriage(s),

a connecting Southern National bus,

appropriate Devon or Dorset-based lorries and vans,

cars modelled with Dorset and/or Devon number plates

I wouldn't be at all surprised. Others have produced suitable buses (OOC Bristol K, B-T Bristol LD) but not so far in Southern National livery.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wait til you see RTR wireless control battery power in the next 5 years...Disruptive technology is the way of the future. And everyone better get used to it. 

I suspect that most non-DCC exhibition layouts are built by older modelers who are reluctant to invest in the newer disruptive technologies.

So what is our fate then....if we ,as you state,cannot face the future ? Mass hara-kiri if we are unable,as you inelegantly express it cannot 'better get used to it'..Disruptive what? We'll make our own decision on that,if you don't mind...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.... a loco motor still needs space for a decent motor to allow a loco to pull a rake of 10 coaches.

The Radials were generally limited to two coaches on the Lyme Regis branch and five if double heading.

I once rode behind the preserved one on the Bluebell while the late Tom Woodman, one of her former BR drivers, gave the young volunteer crew a master class on how to get the best out of the old girl. She had no difficulty handling the 5 or 6 coach train solo on the rather easier Sussex route.

John

• Like 3

Just read all 22 pages...

...there are some very excitable people on here!

But it has to be good news that a full range is planed, not just locos for collectors.

It does seem likely that this is the model multiple manufacturers have been working on. Perhaps it is inevitable that these things happen and they are all tough enough to take the hit.

There was a time recently when if I'd been off RMWeb for a week or so, I'd come on and find a new model had been announced, now it seems to be a new manufacturer, a new range even! 

But 500+ post threads, frothing over cryptic clues, hmmmm......

Angus

• Like 2