Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

There is more plastic in Oxford models compared to EFE and OOC, and this makes them cheaper. As model railway items generally contain a considerable plastic content there will IMHO be fewer savings to be made. There should be savings however due to Oxfords 'Tesco' sales policy, 'pile them high and sell them cheap'.

• RMweb Premium

Oxford are also virtually unique in having their own production facilities for die-cast models but I'm not sure if their capabilities will extend to working models.

They have already produced working model railway items for a third party and that by all accounts was successful so why not?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting - who was that then Phil?

Its not been said who it was for, probably for business confidentiality reasons, but the MD of Oxford Diecast has made a statement to that effect.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

The latest OXFORD RAIL announcement confirms they will be producing wagons and coaches. Also the ADAMS RADIAL can be made in all versions from 1880s through to todays preserved loco. They plan to make some models that have been produced before and need updating.

A fascinating read, I found this bit most interesting ;

"..........   We have products planned that have previously been produced, but need updating.

We have a programme  that has identified locomotives, coaches and wagons for future release. ........"

THAT should get a couple of manufacturers to look at their product range.

I'm glad we seemingly have another newcomer who seems to be interested in the hobby and interested in communicating.

As someone else noted, I think it is time for a new subforum in the "Products and Trade" section for Oxford Rail.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 2

If the Adams Radial (I do have you might realise a certain bias towards this loco!) image shown in their update above (post 616) can be translated into a model it certainly bodes well for the future.  They certainly appear to have a strong production base, already undertaking railway production (see the photo of the 'clean room' operation, which appears to have diesels or coaches being assembled) and to have been assessing the viability of models carefully for some time.

What with this and DJModels, where Dave also seems to have a close relationship with 'his' producers, it promises a hopeful future for UK 4mm production.

With Hornby's woeful deliveries to retailers recently, whilst retaining stock to sell direct themselves, I suspect before long many retail outlets will be considering where their future orders will be placed.

Edited by Adams442T

• RMweb Gold

Its not been said who it was for, probably for business confidentiality reasons, but the MD of Oxford Diecast has made a statement to that effect.

I've now found out from elsewhere who it might be (one or two out of a possible two) and if they have been producing satisfactory results for them then they definitely know what they're at.

And as I've said in another thread - what price Oxford-Rail trainsets in a year or two from now?  The way they seem to be heading with locos and rolling stock they might be best placed to meeting Hornby in the wider trainset market.  If I was in the boardroom in Margate I think I would be well past dismissing commissioners and newcomers as some sort of passing fad which will soon vanish from the scene and really begin to think very had about how I am going to approach the changes which are clearly going on in the marketplace.

• Like 1

I have suggested that the Swanage Railway shop stocks Oxfordrail products as the 00 gauge vehicles the shop used to stock sold well and the Adams radial tanks used to run on the branch line.  The Swanage Railway shop came close to stopping selling model railways this year partly due to delivery problems from Hornby.

• Like 1

Hi all    Looks like it might be a race between  Kernow's O2 and Oxford's Radial to reach the finishing post.  If Kernow rush their model out with the current errors they could just win but if they are worried enough to think a retool necessary then I think Oxford have the edge, assuming their model is already correct  (the front of the smokebox looks a bit odd in the latest CAD )  Oxford will be selling via the shops so might be more expensive but the greater exposure may well mean much larger sales and this will keep the price down a bit.  It will also be interesting to see if DJ Models'  J.94 beats them both since it seems to be more advanced than the O2 at least.     Are they all going to be hit by the new round of wage rises in China and will the Chinese New Year holidays bring everything to a standstill for nearly a month when many of the workers fail to return as seems to have happened in the past.  Will the prices of items pre-ordered well over 2 years ago be honoured  bearing in mind the huge increases in costs over that period and the additional cost if production runs don't start until 2015, after the next wages rise.  Tower have already announced RRP prices for Dapol O gauge locos fitted with sound and DCC in 2015  which double the price of the 2014 analogue version, I don't think these systems cost anywhere near £200 so just how much will an analogue loco be in 2015 ????? ( Answers or guesstimates welcome I am sure )

It looks like there is likely to be a fight to the death with all these new products coming to the market when the world economy appears to be in trouble again.  Even the supposedly buoyant British economy will not be immune and once the election is past who knows what will happen ?  Are the big boys Bachmann and Hornby holding back releases till next year so that they can justify significant price hikes when the minnows have to announce major increases which they have managed to avoid for a couple of years.          I'm not so sure everything in the garden is coming up roses               Regards  adrianbs

• RMweb Gold

Hi all    Looks like it might be a race between  Kernow's O2 and Oxford's Radial to reach the finishing post.  If Kernow rush their model out with the current errors they could just win but if they are worried enough to think a retool necessary then I think Oxford have the edge, assuming their model is already correct  (the front of the smokebox looks a bit odd in the latest CAD )  Oxford will be selling via the shops so might be more expensive but the greater exposure may well mean much larger sales and this will keep the price down a bit.  It will also be interesting to see if DJ Models'  J.94 beats them both since it seems to be more advanced than the O2 at least.               Regards  adrianbs

Please keep up Adrian - all three concerns have made very clear in various places on the 'net (all accessible from here) exactly where they have got to in the production process in respect of these models and you can tell from that which will arrive first, and possibly even when that might be as well as knowing the stages which the other two have reached.

In the meanwhile in view of a number of requests for lists of your own products perhaps you could help members of the forum by posting at least a link, if not a response, on the relevant thread - it does help some of us to know what might or might not be available from you and if/when it is or will be available.  It is all well and good carping about other manufacturers but when you are in the trade yourself it can possibly provoke a reaction if you don't respond to a thread regarding your own business (I could have mentioned greenhouses but decided not to).  Sorry to be rather blunt but as you seem to favour that approach ...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48029-abs-models-current-address/

And btw to save you the bother I will report this post myself

• Like 3

Having looked at their website, I'm quite impressed with the attitude of 'we're doing this one model next year, here's the CAD design work we've done so far'.

Hopefully a move away from the current trend of certain manufacturers announcing half a dozen new locomotives every year, to be added to the already vast backlog of stuff they've announced but not released. 

Anyone remember the statement from Oxford Diecast some while back (even before the aircraft range I believe?).

I can't remember the exact wording, but it went along the lines of "we aim to be the leaders in all fields and eras".

This promise seems to be quite appropriately met in the 1/76 road field, is it a good sign for the rail side of things?

Stewart

• Like 3

Hi  Stationmaster    Well. in view of promised delivery dates by kernow in the past,  It is difficult to believe a word from them or DJ Models,  previously with Dapol, who had made similar unfulfilled claims.  The latter has accumulated quite a list of promised models ( Over 100 counting livery variants and commissions at the present count ) but  I believe none are on sale as yet, please correct me if I am wrong.    Oxford have only just announced their entry into the market so I have to give them the benefit of my doubts.   I am well aware at what stage all three claim to be but in one case that assumes the faulty model will go ahead without being retooled, as there have been no corrected CADs or prepros shown on their site.  Another models is being produced by the same person involved with the previous model and the third has no track record at all apart from claims that they have been making similar unspecified products for an unknown customer.  This makes it difficult to check but their activities in the model road vehicle market give me much greater confidence I have to say.

Most people seem to be able to find me quite easily, they just google  a.b.s. models  I am not quite sure why that is considered to be so difficult.  I am actually retired but as no one wants to buy a business like mine I keep going.  In 3 years time I reach 75 and, assuming I make it, the whole lot shuts down and I might spend all my time on RMweb.  If people want lists the price is £2-00 for one and £1 for each extra  covering  (1)   O Gauge Railway;  -(2)  All 4mm, N Gauge and non railway 7mm  and the third  (3)) covers 7mm Ng.  Post inc.   All in stamps please.

Naturally only time will tell who gets their model on sale first  and more importantly whether it is any good.     Regards  all  adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

Adrian

Please have the courtesy to post such information on the thread that was highlighted by Stationmaster along with an address of where to send the stamps too!

Please also refrain from continually going off topic in threads about one model with comments about other non related ones.

Thanks

• Like 2

Now this is looking very promising. I am after 2 or 3 radials to complement all of my Oxford military Diecast.

If Oxford are reading this, please add a Tortoise and Centurion mk 1 to the Diecast range.

In fact if they are doing everything from the start until now, then the EKR radial would make a nice addition to run alongside my SECR stock.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

Hi  Mod 4,  Ok So I know it's off topic but the details stationmaster requested are still on that site and have been for 6 years if only he were willing to check, including catalogue info in post 2.     I don't really see much point in changing them as I get plenty of requests from that site,  far too many actually as it stops me watching RM web sites.

Regards  adrianbs.