Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

There is another item about this topic called Adams Radial 4-4-2T in Southern Railway Group that covers other manufacturers. You will see that the 00 Works has produced ready to run models of the Adams Radial from 2004 to 2005. It was a very popular engine and most were produced in BR black. With prices ranging from £100 to an excellent but unboxed item to £180 for a mint boxed one a second hand model will be a serious competitor to the Oxfordrail version. Please see page 373 of the 7th edition of Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue.

29 pages, 708 replies and no model! Is this a record for RMweb?

Regards

I can only do my best to paper over this particular crack, until something better arrives, as it surely  will.. Two-coach Sets 42 to 46 were, at one time, the stock intended for the Lyme branch. In this instance, both coaches were 58ft reframed ex-LSWR stock.

My attached photo is of a different 58ft diagram, but the differences were slight. So, for those so minded, imagine two of these - one Brake Third, one Brake Composite, post-war - between Axminster and Lyme Regis, loaded with holiday-makers, sun hats. following their "Paid Luggage in Advance".

post-489-0-71348900-1417536137.jpg

Edited by Peter Bedding
  • Like 11

There is another item about this topic called Adams Radial 4-4-2T in Southern Railway Group that covers other manufacturers. You will see that the 00 Works has produced ready to run models of the Adams Radial from 2004 to 2005. It was a very popular engine and most were produced in BR black. With prices ranging from £100 to an excellent but unboxed item to £180 for a mint boxed one a second hand model will be a serious competitor to the Oxfordrail version. Please see page 373 of the 7th edition of Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue.

The problem is Robin, that of finding one.  In my experience they don't often turn up.  The model itself is a bit 'clunky' too by modern standards and I for one can't see any way they could be classed as a 'serious competitor'.  Unless 00 Works are the third manufacturer intending to bring another out that we've heard so much about!! :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Two-coach Sets 42 to 46 were, at one time, the stock intended for the Lyme branch. In this instance, both coaches were 58ft reframed ex-LSWR stock.

attachicon.gif130707 - 07 - Minipic.JPG

Dear Mr Oxford Rail, please can we have some of these lovely Maunsells for our Radial tanks to pull along their branchline(s). (or Hornby or Bachmann or DJM etc,etc,etc).  

Got the Roxey kits to build, but a bit worried about getting reported for cruelty to etched brass ...

Cheers

• Like 2

Adams4-4-2T.  I have not seen any second hand Adams Radials for sale either.  I saw some BR ones when they came out but I wanted an LSWR one.  I am more interested in a locomotive's performance than looks and if my experience of their Drummond 700 is followed by their Radial it should be able to haul lots of coaches and is more robust than the models produced in China. The price differential between a ready to run model built in England by a small firm and a mass produced model from China seems to be diminishing.

For those wanting an excuse to buy one- two examples of Radial tanks getting a long way off track.

The current Railway Mag describes four LSWR Radials being loaned to the Highland Railway during WW1 to work trains of anti-submarine mines from Kyle of Lochalsh to Digwall then to Alness and a nearby US Navy base (in trains of 11 wagons.)

In addition before the LNER took over operation the Catterick Camp railway was worked by two Beyer Peacock tank locos, one of which was an ex-LSWR Adams radial.

Apologies if this has been posted in this thread before.

Les

For those wanting an excuse to buy one- two examples of Radial tanks getting a long way off track.

The current Railway Mag describes four LSWR Radials being loaned to the Highland Railway during WW1 to work trains of anti-submarine mines from Kyle of Lochalsh to Digwall then to Alness and a nearby US Navy base (in trains of 11 wagons.)

Les

According to "Highland Railway Locomotives Bk 2 pub. RCTS," the four radials loaned to the Highland were 0480/1/5 & 7 arriving early in 1918. 0480 & 0487 were used on the Kyle Line. 0487 was used on the Fortrose Branch. These two returned South in 1919. The other two were used on local services or shunting around Perth. 0485 was station pilot at Perth for a time, although it was also reported shunting at Inverness in September 1920. Both returned home in September 1921.

• RMweb Premium

A bit more information about the Radial used at Longmoor. The locomotive in question was number 424 initially hired from the LSWR from October 1914. It remained at Longmoor until 1916 when it was transferred to the Dinton and Fovant Military Railway when it was also purchased outright. In 1920 it was overhauled by the GWR at Swindon and returned to Longmoor having received a GWR safety valve bonnet. It continued to serve at Longmoor until about 1923/24 when it was transferred to Catterick. It was believed to have been scrapped in the later 20's.

• 2 weeks later...

Pity they did not just cancel the project. A fairly pointless car which never sold well (very pricey) and must have cost PSA some big losses.

Not quite, it was a good example of a concept which, despite the research showing otherwise, didn't sell well. Apparently those that still have one think it an extremely practical vehicle.Yes it did create a hole in the Peugeot P&L account and is a good example of how difficult it can be to decide what the fickle consumer market will buy. Who wants modern practical when they can have a retro looking Fiat 500?

Not quite, it was a good example of a concept which, despite the research showing otherwise, didn't sell well. ...

Yes, that reminds me of when people tell a manufacturer that they want a model (more particularly, a kit) of something, the manufacturer does all the donkey work and produces it, and then hardly anyone buys it.....

Have been reading Chris Leigh's backscene in this months Model Rail mag and it were appear that four manufacturers have been working on this model now that Hornby have entered the frame.

Have to agree with his comments that it looks as if someone's going to lose out

• RMweb Gold

Have been reading Chris Leigh's backscene in this months Model Rail mag and it were appear that four manufacturers have been working on this model now that Hornby have entered the frame.

Have to agree with his comments that it looks as if someone's going to lose out

There were definitely four heading towards it - one has definitely dropped out (Kernow), one has said no more beyond early hints (Austrains/Brittrains), and two have been announced as going ahead.  I suspect that despite what has been said thus far Hornby's might well actually currently be the one which is most advanced as they have at least been able to make and show a 3-D print of one version of it.

There were definitely four heading towards it - one has definitely dropped out (Kernow), one has said no more beyond early hints (Austrains/Brittrains), and two have been announced as going ahead.  I suspect that despite what has been said thus far Hornby's might well actually currently be the one which is most advanced as they have at least been able to make and show a 3-D print of one version of it.

Mike,

I believe it has been know for a RTR manufacturer to put a model built from a kit on display to give an indication of future product plans. 

I can't see why you would produce a 3-D print as part of a product development for what will presumably be a moulded item unless it is for photographic or  PR purposes. So does a 3-D print prove a lot.? 

Jol

It proves you've got some workable CAD data with which you can produce something that (to my untrained eye) would appear to be approximately the right size and shape- the same data will presumably then be used to produce the moulds etc, although that's an assumption on my behalf.

It suggests more progress than a handbuilt mock up anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I believe it has been know for a RTR manufacturer to put a model built from a kit on display to give an indication of future product plans. 

I can't see why you would produce a 3-D print as part of a product development for what will presumably be a moulded item unless it is for photographic or  PR purposes. So does a 3-D print prove a lot.? 

Jol

As Brian has said Jol - it proves there is a CAD and depending on the amount and nature of the detail it can also show how far the CAD has progressed; of course what it does indicate is the state of progress on any detail variations (which could be rather important in the case of the radials).  In PR terms I suppose it creates a better impression on many folk as seeing something tangible sitting on rails is that bit more positive than looking at images on a computer screen and of course many of the less informed really see it as a 'model'.

The radial print which Hornby showed at Warley was fairly obviously a 3-D print, even to my inexperienced eye, as it lacked what would be expected on an EP (engineering prototype) where it is usually possible to form some idea of the way it has been assembled from the different moulded components but in a photo, especially a small one, the differences can sometimes be a lot less obvious.  BTW the 'King' sitting next to it in the case at Warley was also a 3-D print and very obviously so when you looked at the smokebox door!

They do a 3D print for much the same reasons you do test etches, i.e. to prove all the parts fit the way they are suppose to. Also that the mould slides will work as intended. It is always useful to know this before metal for the moulds is cut.

Of course they may also give a sample to the sales department for all the reasons that others have suggested.

Edited by billbedford

Reminds me of one of the Pink Panther films where killers from twelve countries converge on the Münich Oktoberfest with the intention of assassinating Clouseau....

"My God, it vill be a shooding gallery..."

I suspect that despite what has been said thus far Hornby's might well actually currently be the one which is most advanced as they have at least been able to make and show a 3-D print of one version of it.

Of course it's hard to know. I thought that Hornby's 3-D print really demonstrated significant progress in CAD development on the Adams Radial Tank, plus of course they have at this point shared multiple sets of CAD data - in their Warley press release and presently on their online catalogue. I haven't seen anything to indicate that Hornby has started to cut tools yet, but they may well have.

Sharing this level of detail is a really significant departure for Hornby and we need to recognize this change.

On the other had Oxford Rail states that they have begun tooling (in their November 20 update to the website), something which, one presumes, you don't do until your CAD data is complete.

At this stage we had already started tooling.

The race to Lyme-Regis is well and truly on.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As things stand its only a two horse race at the moment and quite likely to stay that way. Oxford and possibly Hornby are now beyond the point of no return with the tooling already in production and having made that considerable investment are not going to just throw it away.