Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

I agree with JSpencer, in that I think their plans to announce the introduction of Oxfordrail and the Adams Radial were brought forward due to the interest in the Radial from other manufacturers, as this was intended to be their 'launch model' for the range. The rep indicated that more detailed info on the range and prices was not known yet as the company management is still discussing those issues. The expectation is for a new year announcement I suspect.

http://www.springfair.com/Exhibitor/Oxford-Diecast-1

......New for 2015 - Being launched at the Spring Fair will be a new range of Model Railway items"

......"Surprisingly Affordable models"

RP

Horsetan. Thank you. I was not aware that Dean Sidings made a body kit for an 00 gauge Adams Radial. It looks like there was also a conversion kit to enable it to run on a Hornby 14xx chassis. Within the next two years it looks like there will be a choice of Adams Radials from Hornby and Oxfordrail.

The other interesting thing on the web site is the fact that they own their own factory which means they will have a direct handle on costs.

As are Kader Holdings / Bachmann Branch-Line, so that won't stop prices being higher that what we had become accustomed to.

Be interesting to see the price on their radial, probably somewhat less than the £120 that Hornby are quoting and also probably released before the late 2015 date of the Hornby one (which is practice will probably be mid 2017 anyway).

Perhaps. Hornby's pricing competitiveness isn't really the problem - it's supply chain management and even Kader/Bachmann has issues with production slots and long announcement-delivery times (they're just better about communicating and delivering on orders). Edited by Ozexpatriate

... why have they not quoted any figures regarding a retail price?  They must surely be fully aware of the manufacturing costs and obviously know their own transport and distribution costs - so are they planning soem big surprise in respect of prices I wonder?

An interesting question. It's their prerogative of course. But nor have they been specific about planned initial livery variations like the excellent job Hattons and Kernow is doing for commissions from DJModels.

They announced first to get their name out there. Perhaps they are now playing a bit of cat and mouse to see who will release what liveries in the first round to mitigate the duplication factor a little bit and ensure their offerings are priced competitively.

• Like 1

Horsetan. Thank you. I was not aware that Dean Sidings made a body kit for an 00 gauge Adams Radial. It looks like there was also a conversion kit to enable it to run on a Hornby 14xx chassis. Within the next two years it looks like there will be a choice of Adams Radials from Hornby and Oxfordrail.

Or, given that Hornby and Oxford have collaborated before, are they working together on the same model? (Hornby to release some versions/liveries, Oxford others?)

• Like 1

I think the manufacturing difference here between Bachmann and Oxford Rail is the fact that Oxford are quoted as having their own manufacturing facility in China but Bachmann are a company owned by Kader and they have to dance to the Kader tune.

• RMweb Gold

As with all such duplications, especially of such a longed-for item (so we are assured), the first in the field will make a killing, the follower will need a real USP (unique selling point) to get theirs off the shelves. Similarly, the first on the market can be a bit expensive, perhaps, especially if they are confident on quality, in the era of "I must have it NOW!".

As someone else noted, I think it is time for a new subforum in the "Products and Trade" section for Oxford Rail.

Judging by the number of posts on this single Oxford Rail thread, I think you may be right........as Newbryford said a while back, it wont be long before we have an Oxford Rail Wishlist thread.

Having just read the thread and brought myself up to speed.......there have been times when the discussion has been wandering off the Adams Radial topic.

Edited by 250BOB

Or, given that Hornby and Oxford have collaborated before, are they working together on the same model? (Hornby to release some versions/liveries, Oxford others?)

Or Hornby do moulded on details ( handrails, smokebox dart, etc) and Oxford fit separate ones.

Edited by billbedford
  • Like 1

So far this topic has received 51,679 views and 673 replies. If this level of interest was matched by people buying Adams Radials it is likely that the demand would exceed Hornby's normal production run of between 390 and approximately 3,000 locomotives and there is room in the market for two suppliers. Logically the only people who would buy Adams Radials are modellers of the Lyme Regis branch, the Bluebell Railway, the LSWR and early Southern. It looks like the model is going to appear on a lot of other layouts as well. It is possible that the two companies could share the market with Hornby producing the BR versions and Oxfordrail producing the pre-nationalisation examples. Oxford Diecast tend not to do limited editions but do another production run if demand exceeds supply.

Edited by Robin Brasher

So far this topic has received 51,679 views and 673 replies. If this level of interest was matched by people buying Adams Radials it is likely that the demand would exceed Hornby's normal production run of 500 locomotives and there is room in the market for two suppliers. Logically the only people who would buy Adams Radials are modellers of the Lyme Regis branch, the Bluebell Railway, the LSWR and early Southern. It looks like the model is going to appear on a lot of other layouts as well.

And don't forget the East Kent Railway. EKR No 5 is now on the Bluebell I think.

• RMweb Gold

So far this topic has received 51,679 views and 673 replies. If this level of interest was matched by people buying Adams Radials it is likely that the demand would exceed Hornby's normal production run of 500 locomotives and there is room in the market for two suppliers. Logically the only people who would buy Adams Radials are modellers of the Lyme Regis branch, the Bluebell Railway, the LSWR and early Southern. It looks like the model is going to appear on a lot of other layouts as well.

Rule 1 Rules!

However, since when has Hornby had a policy (official or otherwise) of only making 'production' models (e.g Cock O' The North) in runs of 500?

Kernow Models released that many of each version of their Beattie Well Tank so it seems wholly inadequate for typical Hornby "big, green and named" subjects.   

My (old) Hornby 'Manston' is one of a certificated limited edition of that number and the box holding my LSWR liveried M7 (the earlier one) clearly proclaims it to be one of a "Limited Edition of 1200". The Collector's Club have announced plans for 750 of the new 'Manston' and it would seem very odd to make a limited edition in greater quantities than models intended for general release. 

IIRC the initial batches of Light Pacifics (Blackmore Vale, Wilton, Tangmere and 92 Squadron) were 3,000 of each but that 2,000 was the usual number for most subsequent versions (originals and rebuilts).

Also, I have, in the last few days, been told (by a generally reliable informant) that Hornby had accepted advance orders from dealers for around ten times more 'Exeters' than were actually delivered. If so, that's an awful lot of turnover to lose and it suggests that they will do their damndest to get more made if at all possible.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is that even Limited Edition runs have to be at least 500 - one of the reasons why we've never commissioned Hornby to do a run of Guinness 08s....

Hornby used to work on a minimum batch size of 1,000 (that is a batch with the same livery - sio if you wanted more than one livery on the same model you had to have 1,000 of each).  I understand Bachmann are more flexible on the size of special livery batches provided the rest of the model is to a normal, or very near normal(?), production run in other respects.  Other factories of which I know the details tend to work as Bill Bedford has said although some will produce smaller batches of livery variants.

500 is the usual batch size for livery editions from most of the Chinese factories. Minimum production batch sizes are alway bigger.

Limited editions are usually produced at the same time as a normal production run, certainly in Bachmann's case. This cuts set up costs.

Those people who like to try and predict the next Collector's Club Edition might like to bear this in mind!

When I worked with the Chinese factories in the late 90s, for some reason their batch quantities were always set at 502.  One could order multiples, i.e. 1004, 1506, 2008, etc.. but always the base number was 502.  And, of course, this means that re-orders are set the same way 502 / 1004, etc.

We were never able to find out why, but from colleagues who are still working with them I understand that the 502 still holds (yesterday evening phone call).

Now as Oxford Rail are in the fortunate position of owning their factory they should be able to set their runs at whatever is financially viable for them (pre-orders - limited editions- etc.), plus have considerable flexibility over re-runs if a model proves popular.

I am myself looking forward to a genuine pre-group Radial, which means I won't have to take my X-Acto saw to it as I have for so many of the 'as preserved' versions of other locos!

• Like 2