nothing on the modelling side this weekend as i was a bit off weather yesterday and ive had a day out today to Keighley 7mm show

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59562189@N03/albums/72157671512054644

and in the carriage trust museum book shop came across a BR book on how to load and tie down wagon loads which is just what im looking for, its a workers manual which gives simple and clear instructions and diagrams

printed on the cover:

(private and not for publication) BR.20425

Instructions for handling and loading specified loads

May 1957

• Like 1

I went along myself. I had some wagon kit's to collect from Jim McGeown and ended up getting a J77 from NER Days who was selling off his remaining stock. A bit of haggling got me the kit for £75.

On the flip side, this meant that I didn't get the bit's and pieces that I had planned from Haywood Railway but I will get them mail order once the funds are replenished.

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 1

Cracking thread Sam, I really like your enthusiasm and the skills you are developing.  You must enter the locos and wagons in the show competitions this year. I wish some of our other clubmates would take the plunge and have a go at actually building their own stock!

wheels have been blanked off with circles of styrene sheet superglued in

30202020782_47e6731768_z.jpgplanet (31) by Sam, on Flickr

making a start on the body with the cab. i printed out that plan to scale. you might not be able to see the scoring on the styrene sheet for the cab front and back. and below are the pieces going to be the window rims

29687626544_7cfd8eee2e_z.jpgplanet (25) by Sam, on Flickr

this shows the markings better, the window markings are the outline to position the rim pieces

29687630144_87be432762_z.jpgplanet (26) by Sam, on Flickr

they are then glued in place. the pieces have markings on them, lines drawn at scale 2 inch in from the edge and then crosses in the corners 1mm in from the 2 inch lines

30283127156_b0fc0c84ca_z.jpgplanet (27) by Sam, on Flickr

pilot holes are drilled through the 1mm markings with a 1.5mm bit

30021257620_826d159cc6_z.jpgplanet (28) by Sam, on Flickr

those are then drilled out with a 2mm bit to give the corner curves of the windows

30021259160_24db52a152_z.jpgplanet (29) by Sam, on Flickr

then the windows ar cut out with the knife along the scale 2 inch lines connecting up the corner holes. shown top. up next the cab sides, since the doors are recessed in from the cab side the doorways needed to be cut out

30202017842_eaed0b5f7e_z.jpgplanet (30) by Sam, on Flickr

and i did the same here for the side windows

30202023762_264dfbc526_z.jpgplanet (32) by Sam, on Flickr

30202027192_7ed207a91c_z.jpgplanet (33) by Sam, on Flickr

The four sides come together onto the footplate

29687376783_d403e05ba6_z.jpgplanet (34) by Sam, on Flickr

29687657854_8fceb01f52_z.jpgplanet (35) by Sam, on Flickr

The whole loco as of now

30202036302_47e2f0ec6b_z.jpgplanet (36) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 5

building the bonnet

staring with a box with an open end and bottom

30328724202_11c42c8de0_z.jpgplanet (38) by Sam, on Flickr

30147931830_5a0447ea28_z.jpgplanet (39) by Sam, on Flickr

here is the bonnet sat in place but not glued in

29813228473_d066ba29fa_z.jpgplanet (40) by Sam, on Flickr

and bonnet lid on. i did it in 3 stages wrapping it round a bit at a time and holding it in the vice for the glue to dry each time

29814516724_62bb944895_z.jpgplanet (41) by Sam, on Flickr

and finally glued onto the body. after the glue dried, the cross bracing in the bottom of the bonnet that were keeping it's shape while working on it have now been cut out to allow the weight block to slot inside

30359108921_3a1d6c1be7_z.jpgplanet (42) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 7

im having a bit of a slump in enthusiasm for this build as im looking ahead at all the parts i'll be needing to make everything like the axleboxes, leaf springs and the radiator but i'll push on bit at a time.

2 inch strip around the cab

30430537056_f0cb9e4159_z.jpgplanet (44) by Sam, on Flickr

cutting down 4.5mm square section to 8mm lentghs and sticking them together in pairs. these will eventually become the sand pots

30380557001_f1ce52b388_k.jpgplanet (43) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 2

Getting better all the time Sam, great work.  As for the axleguards etc., why not see if a friendly clubmate could make some cast resin ones for you?  You'd only have to make one then!

That cutting mat has seen some action, hasn't it :butcher: :mosking:

i was thinking that last night, everybody reading theirs will be curious about it and want to know more so it looks like i'll have to do it after all.

so now i'll ask some advice on writing articles, i'm guesing that i should do it in MS Word but do i put the pics into the article or do i attach them separately in the email?

Article Length, for now i'll just write it and see how long it ends up and go from there

i was thinking that last night, everybody reading theirs will be curious about it and want to know more so it looks like i'll have to do it after all.

so now i'll ask some advice on writing articles, i'm guesing that i should do it in MS Word but do i put the pics into the article or do i attach them separately in the email?

Article Length, for now i'll just write it and see how long it ends up and go from there

Plenty of article writing experience in the club Sam.

You only need to ask.................................

(Politely of course :mail: )

Sam,

I have had a lot of articles published in the model railway press and also the reinsurance trade press so happy to advise if you wish. I govern myself by the general principles in the opening chapter of H.W.Fowler's "The King's English" and George Orwell's rules of writing. :

Here is Fowler: "Any one who wishes to become a good writer should endeavour, before he allows himself to be tempted by the more showy qualities, to be direct, simple, brief, vigorous, and lucid. This general principle may be translated into practical rules in the domain of vocabulary as follows:—

Prefer the familiar word  to the far-fetched. Prefer the concrete word to the abstract. Prefer the single word to the circumlocution. Prefer the short word to the long. Prefer the Saxon word to the Romance"

George Orwell's rules are as follows: "A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus:

1. What am I trying to say?
  2. What words will express it?
  3. What image or idiom will make it clearer?
  4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?

And he  will probably ask two more:

1. Could I put it more shortly?
  2. Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?

One can often be in doubt about the effect of a word or a phrase, and one needs rules that one can rely on when instinct fails. I think the following rules will cover most cases:

1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
  2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
  3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
  4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
  5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
  6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous."

Orwell's last rule is instructive. I try to avoid splitting infinitives, but occasionally one must split because "To go boldly" or "Boldly to go" are, as Orwell wrote, "avoidably ugly."

Regards,

Chris