Alan Gibson

Arthur Budd

'Phoned Alan Gibson in Oldham with an order for various bits and pieces just after lunch yesterday (5th). Beautifully packed small parcel arrived here in Dorset at 9.00am this morning (6th).

Excellent service, not only from Colin at AG but also from our frequently criticised Royal Mail.

Arthur

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I wouldn't say that things are "difficult" from abroad DF, just more involved.  A phone call is needed to give Colin the CC details but that isn't terribly expensive from Canada.  I do agree though that PayPal would be so much more convenient.  Phoning in CC details is not the most secure way of doing things and one has to hope that the merchant keeps this data safe.

John

I dont understand the reasoning given for why paypal is not accepted. It is not "another way to order goods", but simply a way to pay for goods ordered conventionally.

And for some(myself included), certain factors make phoning overseas Impossible.

• RMweb Premium

It is a very expensive money moving system.the PayPal charges are high compared to ukcard transactions for the vendor so either he puts his prices and postage up for using it or he takes a hit on the money he receives.

Baz

It is a very expensive money moving system.the PayPal charges are high compared to ukcard transactions for the vendor so either he puts his prices and postage up for using it or he takes a hit on the money he receives.

That depends on the volume on business that is done. For basic cottage industry outfits the changes are about the same whether they us PayPal or UK banks. Once you get to six figure turnovers the UK banks my be cheaper.

There remains the additional factor though that losses are also made on $ to £ conversions.  In my experience US customers are somewhat reluctant to do conversions to Sterling beforehand, but why I don't know.

There remains the additional factor though that losses are also made on $ to £ conversions. In my experience US customers are somewhat reluctant to do conversions to Sterling beforehand, but why I don't know.

I have to confess I do prefer to pay via PayPal as it is easier. Yes, the exchange rates may be a bit off and the charges are high. I am, however, grateful that I can buy from the UK and simply take whatever price is quoted me as buying the things I need here is pretty much impossible. Whatever I lose on the exchange rate/shipping/additional charges etc I gain on the lack of VAT.

For those wishing to phone in their orders, have a look at Pennytalk, a phone card that works out at about 1c a minute from here to the UK (no, I am not plugging this commercially, I have one and use it to call family as well as non-PayPal suppliers). Just FYI.

Best,

Marcus

That depends on the volume on business that is done. For basic cottage industry outfits the changes are about the same whether they us PayPal or UK banks. Once you get to six figure turnovers the UK banks my be cheaper.

In round terms, PayPal will take 4% from the small trader of the total cost of the transaction. If the trader advises the potential customer of this and that they will have to charge 4% over the total then it can be decided if this is an acceptable and/or cost-effective way. But it does make it easy where currency changes are required.

Also to be taken into account is that a rogue customer can claim non-delivery and the trader gets charge-backed. I think in our sphere of interest the chances of this must be minute though.

To get things back on thread I must say I have always had swift service in both purchases and response to enquiries from Colin & co at Gibson's.

I agree with Bill, I don't think charges are that high, but of course that's subjective.  Last year I made a deal with a UK supplier who didn't want to use PayPal (in fact he wanted payment by checque), by agreeing to pay the charges myself.  ISTR it was maybe 3%, mostly currency conversion.  He had the idea that charges were 8%. 

John

Oh yes, and let me just add that my experience with Colin has been nothing but positive.

There remains the additional factor though that losses are also made on $ to £ conversions.  In my experience US customers are somewhat reluctant to do conversions to Sterling beforehand, but why I don't know.

On paypal, my balance is almost always purely GBP. I have no issue with converting beforehand, though it doesnt matter much through paypal.

Hell, of you worked with large enough quantities, you could possibly cheat the paypal system by taking advantage of the real time conversion rates,

Though that may be considered fraud...

• 7 months later...

I've been trying to get a hold of Colin to place an order for a while now. I emailed two weeks ago with the order, address, and asked what times he would be able to answer the phone to take card details--no response. I called a few days later--no answer. I waited a while and tried today 3 times at different points in the day--no answer.

I certainly have the right #, as his recorded message plays at the end, but am reluctant to leave my credit card info on the answering machine. The show calendar doesn't list him being at any shows at the times I've called.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Quentin

• RMweb Premium

I've been trying to get a hold of Colin to place an order for a while now. I emailed two weeks ago with the order, address, and asked what times he would be able to answer the phone to take card details--no response. I called a few days later--no answer. I waited a while and tried today 3 times at different points in the day--no answer.

I certainly have the right #, as his recorded message plays at the end, but am reluctant to leave my credit card info on the answering machine. The show calendar doesn't list him being at any shows at the times I've called.

Quentin

I placed an order by email last Thursday afternoon and rang him on Friday afternoon with my card details and the order was on the mat when I got home on the Tuesday afternoon..

I normally find that it's best to phone Colin at about 3pm most afternoons, show Friday's excepted. Failing that leave your phone number on his answer phone and he will ring you when he can.

Always had good service from Colin at Gibsons, sometimes even next day delivery. Can be difficult to speak to on the telling bone but he's working very hard with the machines.

Lanarkshire Models has always excepted PayPal and credit cards through PayPal and it is part of our payment system, we pay the 3% charge on orders but to be honest it is built into the item price, it's just very convenient for most people though some still prefer paying by cheque, fair enough.

Dave Franks.

Quentin

From conversations with Colin, I find that most who have difficulty reaching him do no leave their phone number clearly on the answer machine.....

Hmm. I called shortly after 3:00 GMT and then again just before 5:00 GMT today. I'm afraid I can't foresee any times (unless it was incredibly specific) when he could call me and I would be able/awake to answer--the time difference really makes all the difference. I guess I'll have to try again when/if I can.  :mellow:

Quentin

• RMweb Premium

It might be worth while sending Colin an email with your requirements along with your phone number and tell him that you will leave him 4 answer phone messages each with 4 digits of your credit card number also could he email you to confirm that he has received each batch of 4 digits before sending the next, this should be pretty secure. I have used it to place an order in Oz without a problem. It is a bit long winded but a lot quicker than snail mail.

It might be worth while sending Colin an email with your requirements along with your phone number and tell him that you will leave him 4 answer phone messages each with 4 digits of your credit card number also could he email you to confirm that he has received each batch of 4 digits before sending the next, this should be pretty secure. I have used it to place an order in Oz without a problem. It is a bit long winded but a lot quicker than snail mail.

My practice has been to write to him (from over here, with time differences etc that would otherwise bug him and his personal life something 'orrible) using word or whatever, then print the letter to a pdf file and email it to him. Seems secure and always works - so far! HTH

Best,

Marcus

Archived