RMweb

Hornby's new factories: Who's doing what

brushman47544

Here's an interesting point to bring up; not sure if anyone's discussed this or not but this seems the appropriate place to ask about this:

I own three 'Railroad'-style 0-4-0 locomotives in my fleet; a Railroad Caledonian 'Pug' No.272, A GWR175 Holden Class 101, and a Pullman Class 06 for the 2008 Club Loco. The Pullman 06 has an SK code on its box; however the GWR175 101 has an REF code on it, and my Caledonian 'Pug', bought in 2012, has an REF code as well. This would indicate that Hornby started to use Refined before 2010 for production of some locos and possibly other items.

The questions are, when did Refined start for Hornby, with what items, and how long has this been going on? If anyone has any products from Hornby from this time period (not just locos, but maybe trucks, coaches, buildings, etc.), let's check the codes on the boxes and try to put together dates and times. Be sure to indicate the loco and possibly product numbers if possible, so we can determine a timeline of sorts.

To start, what are the codes on the other two GWR175 products? The Castle, I would assume was a SK product - but perhaps not? And what of the Achilles Train Pack?

• 2 weeks later...

My Amazon sale Railroad Tornado is

REF01-91200

R3060-11-852

I'm surprised that there is no date code anywhere on these things and I would expect some sort of batch tracing to be going on. Looking at the numbers following the factory code they seem to be incrementing over time so my guess is that the five digit numbers currently beginning 9 are the purchase order number from Hornby or maybe a delivery batch number either of which can be tracked to a date.

Pretty certain this has been discussed before and that Hornby did retool the A4 so that both SK and REF had tools.

Seems a bit excessive given that Hornby are moving away from Sanda Kan, suggest its more likely that the tooling was used by SK and the stock held by SK while the tools were moved to REF; their are reports of Hornby stock having been sat for some time in the factory before being despatched.

Edited by Butler Henderson

It is not strange for any manufacturer to bulk produce unfinished bodies, which are then completed later by the addition of tempo elements - running number etc. I recall a Dapol shot of their toolroom containing racks of Class 56 bodies - yes that far back. Hornby Hobbies are spreading production - not all eggs in 1 basket - slots, trains, die cast, kits and paint ( the latter being the UK).

• RMweb Gold
Here's my few recently acquired stock 

Motive power

HST blue/grey R3138 - SK101 P90105

Coaching stock

Railroad mk2e

R4624 - brake - REF01 91441

R4623 - 1st open - REF01 91441

R4622 - Stnd open - REF01 91441

MK3 HST ECML coaches with lights

R4633, R4633A, R4694 , R4634, R4634a, R4634B, R4634C & R4595 - all TEC05 -P91020   (R4595 - P91232)

MK3 WMCL caches no lights

R4444A and R4446 - TEC05 P91018

Wagons (railroad)

R6606  3 pack MGR - TAL05 P91476

R64733 3 pack Mineral wagons REF01 89156

My Amazon sale Railroad Mallard has now arrived:

REF01-90355

R2784X-50-979

REF01 need to use better glue - the buffer beam came off my Mallard when I was allowed to take it out the box this morning.....

Hey-ho.  Who'd be a loco at Christmas?

• RMweb Gold

Curious... Wasn't all Sanda Kan production supposed to be completed by last July, so where have these - and the other recent SK product releases such as Exeter - been?

Reportedly the last production work that Kader (ex Sanda Kan factory) did for Hornby was in March/April of 2014.  Maybe Hornby have only just received the container, or maybe stuff has been sitting around during the warehouse/distribution transfer?

• RMweb Gold

Just made a impulse purchase of the Tornado Pullman express(£99)

R1169  REF01 - 91285

Followed it up with a Railroad Pullman Coach "Rosemary"

R4312  REF01 - 91285 

Both new but the set had a 2013 mini Catalogue !

• 3 weeks later...

In the context of the 'new' King Arthur N15 class 'Sir Sagramore' which was initially thought or intended? to be without deflectors, here is a possible reason why it was eventually made (by REF) WITH deflectors...

It would require a crosshead vacuum pump and re-sited middle indicator lamp brackets at least to be authentically 1925-28 (not sure of exact dates) and possibly other things.

I edited a pic of 767 'Sir Valance' with appropriate changes.   What a beautiful engine!   :)

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/a.378493222316349.1073741838.203786143120392/412994465532891/?type=1&theater

correction; the latest N15 is made by CHL  not REF.

Edited by robmcg

I hope you don't mind me posting this in two threads?

Reading Simon Kohler's latest blog while looking through my Mk3s - along with this thread got me thinking, What are the production codes of the newer Mk3s?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87779-revised-mk3s/page-9

The last Mk3s I have produced by Sanda Kan are the East Coast ones produced for Modelzone, The FGW ones still available in Hamleys are REF / Refined Industries. But a post a few posts above by Beejack in this thread has the new East Coast Mk3s with lights produced by TEC. Could one of the problems with the inconsistences we're seeing be down to 2 different manufacturers producing the Mk3s for Hornby?

My wishey washy FGW Mk3s TS & TF's are REF01-90592, R4370B & REF01-90592,R4369A. Unfortunately I've lost the sleeve for the presumably Sanda Kan produced TGS & TRFB.

• 3 weeks later...