N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

A bit off topic but here is a great picture of Virgin Pride at Blackpool North taken by Anthony Roberts on the Preston Area Railway group on Facebook. Interesting that it appears that only one end gets the colourful treatment.

post-799-0-23160600-1528446232_thumb.png

Dave Pallant

• Like 5

I'm sure everyone involved just wants to bask in the satisfaction of producing such an incredible model for now :) But surely the new livery will be an ideal opportunity to develop another batch.

My modelling interests are much further east than the WCML, so I didn't buy first time around. However, if you were to do a special edition of Virgin Pride, I'd definitely buy one! Not only for the significance of the livery, but it looks amazing on the Pendolino! 

As an aside, I imagine "Virgin Pride" might be the first pride themed special livery on a train worldwide? A quick Google shows the DLR did a similarly dramatic special livery in 2015 (but I'd say they're more tram than train!), and GWR have just put a more subtle rainbow stripe on an 800. But nothing on Google Images of pride liveries on overseas railways, or, surprisingly, airlines!  So, a model of "Virgin Pride" could be a worldwide first of a pride themed train? :) 

Justin

Interesting that it appears that only one end gets the colourful treatment.

Yes, the rainbow vinyls are at the standard class end only.

Anyone know when the 11-car units might start getting the new livery?

The nine-cars are due for completion by mid July, 390049 should have just gone in, leaving 390001/002/050 to do. Widnes will then switch to the 11-cars so should see the first one in early August.

As an aside, I imagine "Virgin Pride" might be the first pride themed special livery on a train worldwide? A quick Google shows the DLR did a similarly dramatic special livery in 2015 (but I'd say they're more tram than train!), and GWR have just put a more subtle rainbow stripe on an 800. But nothing on Google Images of pride liveries on overseas railways, or, surprisingly, airlines!  So, a model of "Virgin Pride" could be a worldwide first of a pride themed train? :)

Virgin has put some vinyls on 91103 as well but less extensive http://www.flickr.com/photos/albmurray/42597010051

Another variation on the new livery. Looks much smarter with the window band:

https://flic.kr/p/Gu1Ghy

Tom. 

Looks like only 390005 got the black window bands. They make a simple respray of either OO or N gauge Pendos more difficult compared to a blank white canvas. Of course I am ignoring the unavailability of red silk vinyls for the driving cars!

Hi,

Pendolinos arrived and are looking good. I'm new to sound. I haven't tried to run them yet, as it seems my transformer is producing too high a voltage. It is a Lenz TR100, which claims to output 15V, but I measured it with a multimeter to be 16.8V. I read that more than 15V 'may well blow the sound decoder'.

Does anyone have it working with the same transformer?

Do I need to buy a new transformer? If so, can anyone recommend one?

Or have I misunderstood something?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Pendolinos arrived and are looking good. I'm new to sound. I haven't tried to run them yet, as it seems my transformer is producing too high a voltage. It is a Lenz TR100, which claims to output 15V, but I measured it with a multimeter to be 16.8V. I read that more than 15V 'may well blow the sound decoder'.

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

If you're running a DCC Controller it's fine, as the signal is AC. It's only if running a DCC Sound model with a DC controller that you need to watch for voltage spikes.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks

Hi

The Lenz LVZ100 will be set lower than this unless you have changed the default (15v) so you will be fine.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any news on the potential 'spare' units to be sold off, or have they all been required for replacements?

Hi Ash,

Amazingly we are still chasing some late-payers who still haven't settled their balances, or haven't paid for postage.

Indeed, if you ordered a Pendolino but have not received it yet then please check your account with us, check your email spam folder and get in touch with your order number.

We are tempted to put a deadline on this and then refund any deposits and add these models "to the pot", but if they backed the project in good faith and, for whatever reason, have not received our emails we want to give them the best opportunity.

And we want to sell the remaining models (there won't be many though - probably fewer than a dozen) in one go rather than piecemeal.

Cheers

Ben A.

And we want to sell the remaining models (there won't be many though - probably fewer than a dozen) in one go rather than piecemeal.

Considering there will probably be more potential customers than models (if the eBay prices are anything to go by) maybe some sort of lucky draw to see who gets the final chance to buy?

• RMweb Gold

Considering there will probably be more potential customers than models (if the eBay prices are anything to go by) maybe some sort of lucky draw to see who gets the final chance to buy?

Hi Karhedron,

Apart from creating extra admin for us, I am not seeing what would be gained by this?

At some point soon (we are not sure exactly when) we will be able to tot up how many Pendos are left. At that point we will open up orders and send out a note to those who've registered with us (it's obviously only fair to give our supporters first bite) and then see who orders. Given the speed that the last lot went it wouldn't surprise me if it's all over in about an hour.

I am not sure how some kind of draw would be any fairer, or indeed luckier?

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Hi Ash,

Amazingly we are still chasing some late-payers who still haven't settled their balances, or haven't paid for postage.

Indeed, if you ordered a Pendolino but have not received it yet then please check your account with us, check your email spam folder and get in touch with your order number.

We are tempted to put a deadline on this and then refund any deposits and add these models "to the pot", but if they backed the project in good faith and, for whatever reason, have not received our emails we want to give them the best opportunity.

Cheers

Ben A.

You could use the post - in fact you will probably have to show due diligence in contacting clients, or given the length of time taken to deliver, the estates of clients.

• RMweb Gold

You could use the post - in fact you will probably have to show due diligence in contacting clients, or given the length of time taken to deliver, the estates of clients.

Hi there,

In practical terms I don't see a due diligence issue here - if we refund their deposit then it is simply a cancelled sale surely?

I think supporters, as well as rightly sharing the credit for making this happen, also need to take responsibility for ensuring they pay, and everyone who ordered must know the models are here now given the blanket coverage.

Having said that, obviously we would rather they get their model, if they still want it and are alive and kicking!

cheers

Ben A.

I think supporters, as well as rightly sharing the credit for making this happen, also need to take responsibility for ensuring they pay, and everyone who ordered must know the models are here now given the blanket coverage.

Ben A.

It will only be blanket coverage if you talk about it on live tv Edited by woodenhead

Hi there,

In practical terms I don't see a due diligence issue here - if we refund their deposit then it is simply a cancelled sale surely?

Having said that, obviously we would rather they get their model, if they still want it and are alive and kicking!

cheers

Ben A.

While e-mailing everybody may be your preferred method of communication - it is not everybody's. People have paid up front, or part paid - the contractual position is different than if they were ordering something from you via mail order and only paid the deposit. Your last comment is unfortunate - if somebody has died then the value of what is paid is part of the estate - it is up to the executers to either ask for a refund or pay any remaining money and seek to maximise its value. Given that e-mail addresses are likely to be discontinued after a death it is reasonable to write to the last known address if there is no reply - the executers would, where needed, have diverted any mail if they did not continue to be able to collect from the address.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I agree that email is not everyone's preferred method of communication, but we have been very clear that our operation is web-based and that is how we take orders and communicate, along with attending the major shows and speaking to people face-to-face.

Just in case the point was missed, the only models not dispatched are those where the customer has failed to pay either the balance or postage for their model and have not responded to repeated emails from us to an address they supplied.  In the event of death it's my belief that refunding any part payments would be considered fair and reasonable.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

While e-mailing everybody may be your preferred method of communication - it is not everybody's. People have paid up front, or part paid - the contractual position is different than if they were ordering something from you via mail order and only paid the deposit. Your last comment is unfortunate - if somebody has died then the value of what is paid is part of the estate - it is up to the executers to either ask for a refund or pay any remaining money and seek to maximise its value. Given that e-mail addresses are likely to be discontinued after a death it is reasonable to write to the last known address if there is no reply - the executers would, where needed, have diverted any mail if they did not continue to be able to collect from the address.

It is quite possible to over-dramatize this, isn't it? A discontinued email address would "bounce" and notify the senders. A continuing address would be monitored, by whoever decided to continue paying for the address. Not many people have perpetual redirection on their physical mail Post a letter by all means, but with no reply to that either, every reasonable route would have been exhausted.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

What ever happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I totally agree with Mike and Paul here. If you've made reasonable attempts to contact people, on multiple occasions, and still haven't heard from them then I think a refund of any monies paid is a totally fair resolution, and anyone would be hard pushed to expect more.

Yes you could send a recorded letter, and a telegram, and a pigeon, and personally visit their residence, but I think your effort is proportionate.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The forum has been rather quiet of late. I guess everyone is enjoying their Pendolino models, I know I am! Browsing the model shop websites I came across this list of future Pendolino models on the C&M Models website. I would certainly be wanting a Virgin Pride version.

11-Car Pendolino 390.107, Virgin White Livery [NOT YET RELEASED]

£0.00
11-Car Pendolino 390.130 "City of Edinburgh", Original Virgin Livery, Grey Doors [NOT YET RELEASED]
£0.00
11-Car Pendolino 390.152 "Virgin Knight", Original Virgin Livery, Grey Doors [NOT YET RELEASED]
£0.00
9-Car Pendolino 390.005 "City of Wolverhampton", Virgin White Livery [NOT YET RELEASED]
£0.00
9-Car Pendolino 390.010 "Cumbrian Spirit", Virgin White Livery [NOT YET RELEASED]
£0.00
9-Car Pendolino 390.045 "Virgin Pride", Virgin White/Rainbow Livery [NOT YET RELEASED]
£0.00
9-Car Pendolino 390.049 "Virgin Express", Original Virgin Livery, [NOT YET RELEASED]