RMweb

Hattons announce 10 exclusive limited editions Austerity/J94 by DJModels

Andy Y

I think Les’s suggestion is a very practical one. I was thinking of something along the same lines until I saw two little tabs at the bottom of the plates, set at right angles. Just as an experiment, I tried a tiny drop of superglue on each of the tabs. It worked fine on Errol Lonsdale but I suspect that the result is rather fragile. On Royal Engineer, I think I fiddled too long whilst the glue was setting and I have to try again with one nameplate. It’s worth checking that the tabs are not twisted.

Hattons Favorited my Tweet about it so perhaps it'll be a consideration :) Seems silly that there isn't one in wartime livery as that is what they were originally built for, but I suppose it falls in to the same argument as pre-grouping liveries and what is and isn't  popular in the market. 

• 4 weeks later...

Short vid (7 sec) of the Peckfield WD now fitted with sound.  Note the invisible fireman feeding the fire.......

https://youtu.be/bUrwVj3tFVE

I did take a longer one but there were a couple of club members in the background discussing medical complaints............   Now deleted.  I'll try for a longer one later.   

The loco does run more slowly than that.  The Sound file in this is the Digitrains file with "Wimblebury" whistle.  71515 is also sound-fitted.  Its whistle is a proper WD hooter.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4

As no-one has offered a decent pcture, here’s one I’m not altogether happy with. I think I have the plate in the wrong position and I need to re-think the method of attachment. I said “plate” because only one is attached, the other being stubborn. It’s also a side-on shot, so you can’t see the poor moulding of the injector. It might be possible to overlook the moulding if it were in black but the (well-applied) brass finish highlights it. Replacement pipework is available and has been mentioned and illustrated here.

post-26289-0-76112100-1479197878.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

198 as an air tank on the running plate by the footplate, with air pipes leading to the PKP air pump fitted on the front.

The nameplate sits between the leading and centre wheels, pretty much as you have mounted, just needs to be further to the front.

Here's a side on, from the same perspective as your own.

https://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/047-isle-of-wight-steam-railway-havenstreet-wd198-royal-engineer.jpg

Here's a close up of the nameplate showing the mounting, it looks almost as if the nameplate is mounted and bolted to lamp brackets.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/10887482105_51381c088b_b.jpg

For attachment, maybe a small piece of plastic with an L shape (corner of a square yoghurt pot or butter container, or something like), cut to size, glue to the nameplate first, let it set, then glue the other side of the L to the frames ? If it needs weight to counter balance / stop the nameplate falling forwards when setting, maybe a blob of blue tack on the L to hold it, and knock it off with a cock tail stick after it sets.

For the airtank, maybe a piece of a fat drinking straw, cut to length, filled and painted, for the air pump, Roco & Piko sell them as HO spares.

Air pump :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Luftpumpe-BR-38-PIKO-HO-/222158666336?hash=item33b9b03a60:g:WPIAAOSw3YNXZrsE

Air cylinders

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LILIPUT-86231-4-Luftkessel-4-Stuck-fur-H0-Wagen-Loks-NEU-/222320929312?hash=item33c35c2a20:m:m4Z3bbY8pfsGMZzG0z78kGw

Edited by adb968008

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just been advised I have to wait until March to get my Cromford and High Peak edition.

A bit gutted as I was one of the first people to order a J94 from DJ when it was first announced. After watching other commissioned engines being delivered before the first DJ J94 followed by other commissioned J94s I then discovered the C&HP special edition being offered by Hattons. So I cancelled my original order and then ordered the Hattons one. Now that in turn is subject to major delays while the originals have all been delivered! I have the sound chip sitting on my workdesk for this loco but it must have been there for over two years now! Just have to live with it I guess (Sigh).

Just been advised I have to wait until March to get my Cromford and High Peak edition.

A bit gutted as I was one of the first people to order a J94 from DJ when it was first announced. After watching other commissioned engines being delivered before the first DJ J94 followed by other commissioned J94s I then discovered the C&HP special edition being offered by Hattons. So I cancelled my original order and then ordered the Hattons one. Now that in turn is subject to major delays while the originals have all been delivered! I have the sound chip sitting on my workdesk for this loco but it must have been there for over two years now! Just have to live with it I guess (Sigh).

I do hope your sound chip has a six pin interface and sugar cube speaker.

My four (68023, 71515, Peckfield and the yellow peril) all have this plus stay alive - which meant no dismantling of the loco to fit as everything goes in through the smokebox door.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Gold

I do hope your sound chip has a six pin interface and sugar cube speaker.

My four (68023, 71515, Peckfield and the yellow peril) all have this plus stay alive - which meant no dismantling of the loco to fit as everything goes in through the smokebox door.

Les

Thanks for raising that point. I had bought the Zimo MX648 which has a wire harness without a plug as, now I think about it, it was purchased before the DJ was announced and originally intended to be fitted into a Dapol J94. Then the DJ model was announced and I decided to wait and fit it to that. Maybe it is now back to the original plan and make a purchase of a new decoder for the DJ version. Which one are you using? 

Thanks for raising that point. I had bought the Zimo MX648 which has a wire harness without a plug as, now I think about it, it was purchased before the DJ was announced and originally intended to be fitted into a Dapol J94. Then the DJ model was announced and I decided to wait and fit it to that. Maybe it is now back to the original plan and make a purchase of a new decoder for the DJ version. Which one are you using? 

The small zimo with 6-pin interface.  Speaker is a sugar cube close to the chimney.

I must confess that Jeremy at Digitrains fitted them.  Their sound file is available in 2 versions, "Wimblebury" whistle which is the same as BR, and a hooter whistle, which is close to that on 71515.  I needed a lesson from Paul Chetter in how to drive them as the locos coast when you turn the throttle off and have to be braked to a stand- the steam brake sound on the file needed to be turned off as all the WD saddletanks I've every come across in "real" service only had hand brakes- and other brake is preservation era.

My next project is to see if I can put a hard wired chip with the same sound file into a Mercian Models 48150 class, one of the precursors of the WD.  I'll chip this one myself - the current chip inside it was fitted by me, the first loco I hard wired for DCC.

All the very best

Les

The small zimo with 6-pin interface.  Speaker is a sugar cube close to the chimney.

I must confess that Jeremy at Digitrains fitted them.  Their sound file is available in 2 versions, "Wimblebury" whistle which is the same as BR, and a hooter whistle, which is close to that on 71515.  I needed a lesson from Paul Chetter in how to drive them as the locos coast when you turn the throttle off and have to be braked to a stand- the steam brake sound on the file needed to be turned off as all the WD saddletanks I've every come across in "real" service only had hand brakes- and other brake is preservation era.

My next project is to see if I can put a hard wired chip with the same sound file into a Mercian Models 48150 class, one of the precursors of the WD.  I'll chip this one myself - the current chip inside it was fitted by me, the first loco I hard wired for DCC.

All the very best

Les

I'm intrigued by your comment regarding austerity saddle tanks having hand brakes only as a steam brake cylinder was fitted under the footplate with a brake valve capable of being operated from either side of the cab via a 'beam' (hence the common name for them of beam brake) was a standard fitment on all Austerity saddle tanks from new. So it is most certainly not correct to state that "other brake is preservation era" with respect to a steam brake on the loco. However I will agree that most 'working' austerities did not have continuous train brakes of either vacuum or air fitted (there are exceptions to this). The austerity 'beam brake' is excellent and, when used correctly, gives very fine control over the steam brake.

• RMweb Gold

All the very best

Les

Thanks for the information. I hadn't realised there is now a choice of sound.

My original decoder which will now go into the older Dapol loco is also a Zimo which was blown with sound from Digitrains. I am planning to go back to them for the new one so your recommendation is good for me. I don't live far from them and have also found them very good with such things although getting to them with Lincoln's current traffic situation can be irritating.

Have to side with Avonside about the steam brake though.

I'm intrigued by your comment regarding austerity saddle tanks having hand brakes only as a steam brake cylinder was fitted under the footplate with a brake valve capable of being operated from either side of the cab via a 'beam' (hence the common name for them of beam brake) was a standard fitment on all Austerity saddle tanks from new. So it is most certainly not correct to state that "other brake is preservation era" with respect to a steam brake on the loco. However I will agree that most 'working' austerities did not have continuous train brakes of either vacuum or air fitted (there are exceptions to this). The austerity 'beam brake' is excellent and, when used correctly, gives very fine control over the steam brake.

I stand corrected.

Les

Regarding the other nine releases, I'd like to say thanks for sharing the various photos and info they have so far. It's great to see just how far they're spreading their wings and the 'mods' being done to them including renaming and numbering.

Cheers,

Dave

Is there a chance of an MSC Austerity in the future?

Regards

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just a little word of warning-

If you are a hamfisted idiot like me and break a handrail knob by mishandling DON'T use Plastic weld to try to reaffix it.

Plastic Weld runs too freely and attacks the transfers.

Superglue works fine.

Les

So, does anyone know how to unclip the blower pipe that Royal Engineer has?

I have tried delicately with a screw driver, tweezers and pliers but it seems to be stuck fast. The body on these austerities are quite empty. An opportunity for extra weight as well as sound fitting.

So, does anyone know how to unclip the blower pipe that Royal Engineer has?

I have tried delicately with a screw driver, tweezers and pliers but it seems to be stuck fast. The body on these austerities are quite empty. An opportunity for extra weight as well as sound fitting.

[Pendant mode on] If you are referring to the pipe that runs along the tank below the handrail that's actually the ejector exhaust pipe. The blower pipe on an austerity runs as a dry pipe from the blower valve assembly through the boiler straight into the smokebox tubeplate. [Pendant mode off]

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing this tread has been running for some time but I wonder if anyone can help me, I've only just picked my loco up (no8 Mountain Ash) looks great but sadly the running do's not live up to the livery. After a light oiling and running in I've still not been able to get any kind of slow running out of it, I wondered if anyone had found a way round the problem?

As always any help is very welcome.

Mine took quite a deal of running in, but all four will inch along quite happily now.  Admittedly that is under DCC.  I can get them down to one wheel revolution every 3 to 4 seconds.

Best advice is keep on running it.  You didn't say what controller you are using.  I used a Modelex handheld to run it in, but I have an OnTracks controller attached to my setting up track.

Les

• 1 month later...