Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Both 1453 and 1458 appear to have lasted without top feeds until withdrawn in 1964. 1453 was in lined green by then; i have not found a clear enough image of 1458 to tell one way or the other. By 1964 it is often quite difficult to distinguish dirty green from black anyway!

• RMweb Gold

Both 1453 and 1458 appear to have lasted without top feeds until withdrawn in 1964. 1453 was in lined green by then; i have not found a clear enough image of 1458 to tell one way or the other. By 1964 it is often quite difficult to distinguish dirty green from black anyway!

1458 is the intended number of the Hattons 14XX, that I am building a replacement chassis for.

Interestingly, there are photos of 1458, taken in the 1950s, showing it with a top feed, but subsequent photos taken in the early 1960s show it without, so I can only assume that it acquired a replacement, non-top feed boiler at some time between these periods.

Edit - 1458 was definitely in lined green, albeit rather grubby in most photos.

Edited by Captain Kernow

Thanks to mozzer models, 90rob and Pteremey,   plates for 1409 now ordered so problem solved!  Useful picture there, very clear.  As Pteremy says, often difficult to work out livery of a dirty engine from pics.

And thanks Captain Kernow, I posted at same time as you!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

Hi guys.

Did anyone get one of there’s to run well on DCC. It seems a number of these run ok analogue then like a dog on DCC. I’m intrigued if it’s a CV issue?

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys.

Did anyone get one of there’s to run well on DCC. It seems a number of these run ok analogue then like a dog on DCC. I’m intrigued if it’s a CV issue?

Mine is absolutely perfect on DCC.

In fact, I was wondering whether the opposite was true...

• RMweb Gold

Which decoder did you use? Did you have to amend any CVs?

It was the first loco I bought coming back to the hobby so I elected to let Hatton's install their decoder of choice. It reports as an ESU Loksound V4 in DecoderPro and the only CVs I've ever changed are the address (obvs) and the acceleration and deceleration values.

I’m considering having another attempt at buying one, just to get a 58 on Cwm Prysor (and continue with 5810 from the airfix body).

Genuinely unsure what to do. Both my previous versions ran appalling on dcc

• RMweb Gold

Here she is a few days ago:

Sorry, not a very good video but it's the most recent that I've got. Any stuttering you see is likely to be caused by youtube/internet/video compression, not the loco!

Edited by Harlequin

Hornby would make a killing on the 14xx if they threw away the centuries old tooling and chassis and paired it with an equally re-tooled (and better detailed) autocoach

Cannot deny that.  The 14xx + Autocoach was and still should form the quintessential GWR BLT. Looks like Bachmann have wrested the crown with their 64xx + Autocoach, but you never know.  Perhaps "HattonsDave" has a future project to reproduce the traditional autocoach deficiency. 

I am lucky because I don't "need" a 14xx for any of my modelling projects, but I have read enough information to unfortunately steer well clear of the Hattons / Dave Jones product, even if I change my mind. I think it is a salutary history lesson, and I am really pleased that Hattons have moved on with their suppliers, simply because my Hattons 14" Andrew Barclay proves that to me, and I understand from others the P Class similarly does.

In my view the benchmark small loco for running qualities is the Hornby Peckett, and the Hattons AB is "nearly" there but not quite as smooth and silent, but i am very happy with mine.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m considering having another attempt at buying one, just to get a 58 on Cwm Prysor (and continue with 5810 from the airfix body).

Genuinely unsure what to do. Both my previous versions ran appalling on dcc

Hi Tom,

The following CV changes will assist with the operation of the 14xx's coreless motor on DCC.

• CV5 to 255
  • CV6 to128
  • CV49 to17
  • CV51 to 0
  • CV52 to 0
  • CV53 to 140
  • CV54 to 40
  • CV55 to 28
  • CV56 to 255
  • CV124 to 4

These are set by us as standard as part of our DCC fitting services on these models but can also be changed on most Digital controllers.

Cheers

Dave

I didn't need a 14xx, still don't but I got one nonetheless when one popped up on Ebay.

I've only used it a couple of times, got it off Ebay, chipped for less than the price of a non chipped new, it runs sweet on DC.  

I feel guilty holding on to it when so many others have demics.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't need a 14xx, still don't but I got one nonetheless when one popped up on Ebay.

I've only used it a couple of times, got it off Ebay, chipped for less than the price of a non chipped new, it runs sweet on DC.  

I feel guilty holding on to it when so many others have demics.

Obviously a fantastic seller

• RMweb Gold

One thing that we did learn today is that there appears to be plenty of room inside the splashers for P4 wheel sets. This is a set of 14mm coach wheels used just to show the width available.

post-57-0-34102700-1540393396.jpg

It might look a little tight, but there was at least 1mm or more of 'wiggle room'.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

Hi Tom,

The following CV changes will assist with the operation of the 14xx's coreless motor on DCC.

• CV5 to 255
  • CV6 to128
  • CV49 to17
  • CV51 to 0
  • CV52 to 0
  • CV53 to 140
  • CV54 to 40
  • CV55 to 28
  • CV56 to 255
  • CV124 to 4
These are set by us as standard as part of our DCC fitting services on these models but can also be changed on most Digital controllers.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave

Well I ordered at lunchtime so fingers crossed. I also went DCC fitted so that’s good the CVs will be set.

If everything works fine, the 14xx will be converted to a 58xx with the removal of auto gear. Why not buy one Hattons 58xx? Well Hattons have done all there’s without top feeds and 5811 had a top feed.

As I say, fingers crossed

Hi Tom - some of the Hattons models do have top feeds.

Hi Tim

Their 14xxs do but when I’d previously checker, all there 58xx models are minus top feed.

My airfix body and comet chassis will be 5810 and hopefully this one will be 5811.

post-24300-0-56922300-1540394518.jpeg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

I think it will sell, but I can't help but wonder if the "engine has not been run" is a get-out clause for any shortcomings. 

Paul. 

• RMweb Gold

I think it will sell, but I can't help but wonder if the "engine has not been run" is a get-out clause for any shortcomings. 

Paul.

All mine ...yes all four.....are eBay purchases.I paid a good deal less for them than Hattons retail price. All were intact and in good working order on delivery and remain so.They work.They have a mixed reception from forum members which I understand and respect.

BTW ...none of mine had been run,so let's knock that one on the head too.

• Like 1

All mine ...yes all four.....are eBay purchases.I paid a good deal less for them than Hattons retail price. All were intact and in good working order on delivery and remain so.They work.They have a mixed reception from forum members which I understand and respect.

BTW ...none of mine had been run,so let's knock that one on the head too.

I could have purchased one off eBay and had been corresponding with the gentleman, but he was concerned with how his acted on DCC and ultimately if I get another poor one, I can at least send it back and get a replacement.

• RMweb Gold

These are the personification of buyer beware....

Mine were simply not capable of consistant slow speed performance.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm unused may, unopened? Did they come standing on their boxes, I think not

Just because he's taken it out to photograph, doesn't mean it has be used. EBay's item conditions are very restrictive:

New

A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item. See the seller's listing for full details.

Used

An item that has been previously used.  See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

If he's not used/run it, why should he have to list it as "Used"?