Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

I believe this loco to be aesthetically sublime in that the subconscious mark-making of the purity of line brings within the realm of discourse the accessibility of the work with an ostentatiously delightful spark of conceptually robust individualism, but the chassis is carp.

House! - we are playing bullsh1t bingo aren't we?

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I received a weathered 58xx from Hatton's yesterday but unfortunately it was DOA.

No movement at all in either direction, I've requested a replacement

My very recent experience with Hattons over faulty examples of this model have led me to vow never to deal with this premises again. I won't go into detail but a very unsatisfactory experience.

Rob.

My very recent experience with Hattons over faulty examples of this model have led me to vow never to deal with this premises again. I won't go into detail but a very unsatisfactory experience.

Rob.

Six days ago you said "I have to say the staff at Hattons have been very good and I have no issues with the help given." Did something go wrong in the last week?

• RMweb Gold

Six days ago you said "I have to say the staff at Hattons have been very good and I have no issues with the help given." Did something go wrong in the last week?

As I said I am not prepared to go into detail.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I'm really sorry to hear this as its definitely not the result we strive for both how we deal with our customers and our model development. I'm keen to hear more about this to see why this situation has arose and respect that you'd rather not go into detail on this forum. If you wish I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you either via email addressed to me or give me a call on our main number so I can do what I can here for you.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob.

I've requested a refund instead of a replacement now, however, it won't stop be buying from hattons in the future.........just not a 14,48 or 58xx

Hope you get things sorted Rob

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I'd echo the fact that the customer service you get from Hattons is normally very good and returns or refunds are generally without quibble.

It's just unfortunate that this particular example of their 'own brand' of RTR models has had such problems, whereas other models like the 'P' and the Andrew Barclay are really very nice.

It's just unfortunate that this particular example of their 'own brand' of RTR models has had such problems,

...and the ironic thing is that it is THE perfect engine for so many small GWR branch lines (think everything from Abbotsbury to Wallingford) plus all those small freelance layouts and shunting planks based on the same! I think it would be good if Hattons could sort out the mechanism (even if it did take a bit of redesign) and release a new version somewhere down the line...as someone on here has said, they could sell bucket loads. Come on Hattons, you owe it to modelers - and if you don't do it I can't see that anyone else will any time soon...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd echo the fact that the customer service you get from Hattons is normally very good and returns or refunds are generally without quibble.

It's just unfortunate that this particular example of their 'own brand' of RTR models has had such problems, whereas other models like the 'P' and the Andrew Barclay are really very nice.

I’ve not had any experience with the ‘P’ but the Andrew Barclay is a little gem!..I’ll be ordering another soon for a second RTR bash

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...and the ironic thing is that it is THE perfect engine for so many small GWR branch lines (think everything from Abbotsbury to Wallingford) plus all those small freelance layouts and shunting planks based on the same! I think it would be good if Hattons could sort out the mechanism (even if it did take a bit of redesign) and release a new version somewhere down the line...as someone on here has said, they could sell bucket loads. Come on Hattons, you owe it to modelers - and if you don't do it I can't see that anyone else will any time soon...!

Hornby would make a killing on the 14xx if they threw away the centuries old tooling and chassis and paired it with an equally re-tooled (and better detailed) autocoach

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what the ratio of good ones to bad ones is but, for the record, mine seems to be a good one.

Touch wood it stays that way!

I had a really good one but I sold it because it was in the wrong livery.

Had I known my skills in changing loco liveries would improve as they have done I would have kept it

Oh well C’est la vie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I'm really sorry to hear this as its definitely not the result we strive for both how we deal with our customers and our model development. I'm keen to hear more about this to see why this situation has arose and respect that you'd rather not go into detail on this forum. If you wish I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you either via email addressed to me or give me a call on our main number so I can do what I can here for you.

Cheers,

Dave

Had a long chat with Dave today following this post. What a decent chap. He took the time to listen to my concerns and was very understanding.

Thank you.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581

The 14xx may be Hatton's version but it was made via a third party (DJ MODELS) whereas the other models were made direct with the factory.

Hornby would make a killing on the 14xx if they threw away the centuries old tooling and chassis and paired it with an equally re-tooled (and better detailed) autocoach

I think i seen it in a Hornby Collectors Club magazine that Hornby were going to do a brand new 14xx model but pulled out when Hattons announced theirs. 

Samuel.

• RMweb Gold

I doubt they’d be able to test everything they sold but I’m sure they would if they were asked?

Well, it was one if the USPs of a certain manufacturer that every model he produced would be test personally by himself....

This is more of a prototype question, about top feeds and liveries but I think many posting on this thread may know the answer, or point me in the right direction.

I'm going back to finish some older projects, one of which is a Ks 14xx.  I sprayed the body (which doesn't have top feed) in BR unlined green with late BR emblem a while back.  I've seen pictures (somewhere) of 1409 in this condition, and one of the Hattons 14xxs is 1409, plain green, no top feed.

I looked on Fox transfers site, they have many 14xx etched plates but not unfortunately 1409. 

I've looked on internet, through my books etc but can't find another 14xx in plain green, LE, no top feed. I'd like to keep model in this state but any correct number would be fine. (I've got several 14xx models in BR green but lined with top feed so want something a little different).

So, were there any other BR  plain green no top feed late emblem 14xxs?

Thanks, thought this would be easy to find out but not so far!

Edited by railroadbill

This is more of a prototype question, about top feeds and liveries but I think many posting on this thread may know the answer, or point me in the right direction.

I'm going back to finish some older projects, one of which is a Ks 14xx.  I sprayed the body (which doesn't have top feed) in BR unlined green with late BR emblem a while back.  I've seen pictures (somewhere) of 1409 in this condition, and one of the Hattons 14xxs is 1409, plain green, no top feed.

I looked on Fox transfers site, they have many 14xx etched plates but not unfortunately 1409. 

I've looked on internet, through my books etc but can't find another 14xx in plain green, LE, no top feed. I'd like to keep model in this state but any correct number would be fine. (I've got several 14xx models in BR green but lined with top feed so want something a little different).

247 Developments has the 1409 plates in stock

Is this what you are looking for...?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44544845@N08/8469116450

Edited: sorry, that is 1409 but described  as 1424 - anyway, it is a nice picture!

Edited by 90rob