Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

The one thing I will say after our victorious battle with the mazak this morning, is that there is now a whole lot more room inside the body for a motor/gearbox/flywheel combination.

Well at least I have a back up then! ;)

Fingers crossed..... 

• RMweb Gold

Well at least I have a back up then! ;)

Fingers crossed.....

But we shouldn't have to consider a back up plan. These should work.....and carry on working.

Why should we buy a loco for £100 then have to consider an alternative chassis ? All well and good I guess for EM etc but not for 00 surely.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Please explain JIC I need it's / his help sometime!

Re6/6 provided the mains Dremel to do the actual hard work, an extra pair of hands to assist, also the venue for the work to be done and most helpful advice.

Oh, and a nice cup of coffee!

Some photos showing the results of the mazak being taught a lesson here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-21481-new-chassis-for-the-hattons-14xx-part-2/

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

But we shouldn't have to consider a back up plan. These should work.....and carry on working.

Why should we buy a loco for £100 then have to consider an alternative chassis ? All well and good I guess for EM etc but not for 00 surely.

Rob

Totally agree, but as I've seen two that run well....I'm determined to not give up. If this one does not run well, I'll ask for a replacement....and another...and another :lol:

Did you get a good one eventually Rob?

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree, but as I've seen two that run well....I'm determined to not give up. If this one does not run well, I'll ask for a replacement....and another...and another :lol:

Did you get a good one eventually Rob?

No Tom. I have given up on both the Hattons 14xx and Hattons themselves.

Rob.

Er, it's not "used"......

But how do you know? Unopened items are not risk free, but they at least guarantee that the item cannot have been used - or misused, or substituted - since being packed. So there is a significant difference.

Well....I finally saw a Hattons 58XX than ran smoothly!
Geoff Taylors 5801 which runs on his layout Penmaenpool and Barmouth Junction ran smoothly and quietly! So good runners do exist!

post-24300-0-34377200-1540591216_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-04964200-1540591250_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

No Tom. I have given up on both the Hattons 14xx and Hattons themselves.

Rob.

Shame you have abandoned Hattons for the sake of one model (or multiples thereof).

They sell thousands of products and I have been a happy customer everytime (no connection to Hattons except as a satisfied customer).

Suggest you try an Andrew Barclay industrial, then report back  

• RMweb Gold

Shame you have abandoned Hattons for the sake of one model (or multiples thereof).

They sell thousands of products and I have been a happy customer everytime (no connection to Hattons except as a satisfied customer).

Suggest you try an Andrew Barclay industrial, then report back

I have no doubt you are a happy customer......as are many. I'm not. I did look at the AB and had one running on one of my layouts at a show but prefer the look and feel of the Hornby Peckett. I went to Hattons specifically for the 14xx as I have a perfectly decent model railway shop on my doorstep with whom I have dealt with for many years and are perfectly happy with this.

I can see Hattons are now supplying their exclusive models wholesale......it will be interesting to see if anyone has some of the remaining 14xx.....I mean, dealers in Wales and the West should be running to get their hands on such an attractive Western engine..........

Rob.

Well it’s fair to say Geoff’s ran as well as my Bachmann Panniers do. I’m determined to get a good one. If it’s successful it’s Hattons who will do well as I’ll have another for 5810.

post-24300-0-67422200-1540634895.jpeg

post-24300-0-67422200-1540634895.jpeg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

I can see Hattons are now supplying their exclusive models wholesale......it will be interesting to see if anyone has some of the remaining 14xx.....I mean, dealers in Wales and the West should be running to get their hands on such an attractive Western engine..........

Rob.

As long as you want BR liveries or weathered, all the proper liveried locos sold

Well, my loco has arrived.

Not overly happy. It seems to have a smoother mechanism, however it stop starts like its loosing current. The wheels were initially dirty with bits of paint from weathering (personally as someone who weathers stock, this should have been sorted before dispatch). I'm running it in on the rolling road still, which seems to be better, but even then the slightest thing it will stop and then restart.

My other locos aren't this hesitant on the layout or stop at the slightest thing. Is it because the loco is too light? It's much lighter than my Panniers.

I don't know what to say. The Bala Blaenau branch had two 58s and at the moment I'm feeling disappointed once again.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Well, my loco has arrived.

Not overly happy. It seems to have a smoother mechanism, however it stop starts like its loosing current. The wheels were initially dirty with bits of paint from weathering (personally as someone who weathers stock, this should have been sorted before dispatch). I'm running it in on the rolling road still, which seems to be better, but even then the slightest thing it will stop and then restart.

My other locos aren't this hesitant on the layout or stop at the slightest thing. Is it because the loco is too light?

I don't know what to say. The Bala Blaenau branch had two 58s and at the moment I'm feeling disappointed once again.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Tom.

The problem is entirely to do with the design of the chassis/mechanism. Some folk (I think) have reported better running on DCC, but I don't 'do' DCC.

Both my examples had this kind of erratic running, which is what finally led me, in utter frustration, to build a replacement chassis.

So far, by the way, the re-built chassis was tested with a different motor yesterday (Mashima 1220) and run using my AMR slow speed controller and this appears to have the desired effect.

There is hope, but it seems that you either have to be lucky to get a 'good 'un' or build your own chassis. If the body on the Hattons/DJM one wasn't so sublime, I wouldn't be bothering, of course.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Tom.

The problem is entirely to do with the design of the chassis/mechanism. Some folk (I think) have reported better running on DCC, but I don't 'do' DCC.

Both my examples had this kind of erratic running, which is what finally led me, in utter frustration, to build a replacement chassis.

So far, by the way, the re-built chassis was tested with a different motor yesterday (Mashima 1220) and run using my AMR slow speed controller and this appears to have the desired effect.

There is hope, but it seems that you either have to be lucky to get a 'good 'un' or build your own chassis. If the body on the Hattons/DJM one wasn't so sublime, I wouldn't be bothering, of course.

I agree regarding the body work. It's expensive, but I'm tempted to pick up another purely for the bodywork alone.

I'll go an have another check on how it's running. As I say it's as if the loco is struggling to pick up current... I'm running on DCC and when I increase speed it has occasions to run off at a stupid speed!

Here is the video of how it currently runs. The stop start is not me on the controller. It also has a tendency to storm off at break neck speed when I increase the speed to roughly a medium setting.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Interesting video. I must have got a decent one but I must admit that it doesn't get much use. The chassis design, in my opinion, is over complicated for a steam loco, let the coupling rods do what they are designed to do. It is perhaps no coincidence that Hattons later models are conventionally driven.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Here is the video of how it currently runs. The stop start is not me on the controller. It also has a tendency to storm off at break neck speed when I increase the speed to roughly a medium setting.

Most interesting, Tom.

I don't really know what else to say, that I haven't already said, but that level of stop-start running is completely unacceptable.

Very sad.

I have four. All 'ran in' well, and performed well with three coaches, which is the maximum that they will need to do, on a Saturday morning strengthened Exe Valley Service. But they have been back in their boxes since and it will be awhile before they need to perform 'in service'.  So i am a bit apprehensive about what I will find when they are back on the rails.

But real reason for posting is this. Hatton's have a great asset in the 14xx body. What should they do to issue a fresh batch? If they reworked the chassis - and made it available as a stand alone - then they would have a money spinner?

If they reworked the chassis - and made it available as a stand alone - then they would have a money spinner?

Not really - all those who bought duff examples of the first issue would - quite reasonably - demand a free replacement chassis.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1