Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

MMMmmmm Just got this one ?

Simply not good enough, I hope Hatton's have some 'good runners'

Apart from waddling and wallowing along both my Hornby & earlier

Dapol versions run well enough on DCC

Dad-1

That is shocking, send it back! It won't improve at all. I've had two replacements, the third seems to be alright. The chassis and mechanism on these models is very poorly designed. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had these delivered yesterday. Despite my comments earlier on the thread, I decided to have a go. Looks wise, they are lovely but the innards let them down as many have posted here. It is such a shame.

Well after lubricating and running in ( and then some)as per instructions, the shirtbutton example is to be returned. Poor slow speed running, stalling and the occasional locking up has sealed its fate.

I therefore await a second example to replace it.

I would be intrigued to know the ratio of models returned compared to those sold. From conversations had it seems the average is two before an acceptable example is secured.

Rob.

Yes Brinkly,

It's going back, You can't knock Hatton's, I had their reply at 09.13 this Sunday morning !!

My concern is that THIS IS what we want for the layout, BUT it must be a good one as it's

for the clubs new West Bay layout that I'm currently working on in my shed.

NHY581 obviously has problems with the same version - HOW many do I try before we give up ?

Dad-1

I was so looking forward to the Hattons 58XX and had ordered one with a further one planned. Both examples (one original, another replacement) were not acceptable in my eyes and sadly went back, granted there wasn't anything is bad as what you have experienced.

I'm currently on with detailing an old airifix body, and it will be fitted with a Comet Chassis.

post-24300-0-86236100-1537710802_thumb.jpg

Such a missed opportunity.... for what could have been a superb model!

• RMweb Gold

Agree Tom. Iconic loco ( for GW enthusiasts) and Hattons could have cleaned up for years to come. But it's flawed and I note as yet there is no news of a re-run of the BR lined green versions which have all sold out and must be by far the most popular.

I was never that confident of obtaining a good un but thought I would take a chance. I still have an open mind on them. If they work, fine. If not they are either exchanged for replacements or there may come a time and I say enough and have something else.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Agree Tom. Iconic loco ( for GW enthusiasts) and Hattons could have cleaned up for years to come. But it's flawed and I note as yet there is no news of a re-run of the BR lined green versions which have all sold out and must be by far the most popular.

I was never that confident of obtaining a good un but thought I would take a chance. I still have an open mind on them. If they work, fine. If not they are either exchanged for replacements or there may come a time and I say enough and have something else.

Rob.

I wonder what Hattons do with the returns? Would be nice to purchase a 14xx Body and place it on a High Level Chassis.

• RMweb Gold

Well, my BR lined green version doesn't have much time left, before the chassis and motor is removed and passed on to a new owner. I will then build an etched chassis for it (we're still talking OO here). 

Best of luck everyone still trying for a decent one from Hattons.

I will never willingly buy another steam loco with this kind of mechanism again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I started the somewhat arduous and slightly anxious process of separating the 14XX body from the chassis and the rest of the mechanism this afternoon.

I have to say that this loco has had it coming for a long time. I wasn't very gentle or genteel and the inside of the body cavity doesn't look very pretty.

None of that matters, of course, providing the Mashima/High Level replacement mechanism fits and powers the new chassis satisfactorily.

I will start a new blog entry when I'm ready to say something useful about this, but I haven't put the 'oxy-acetylene' equipment away yet.

I started the somewhat arduous and slightly anxious process of separating the 14XX body from the chassis and the rest of the mechanism this afternoon.

I have to say that this loco has had it coming for a long time. I wasn't very gentle or genteel and the inside of the body cavity doesn't look very pretty.

None of that matters, of course, providing the Mashima/High Level replacement mechanism fits and powers the new chassis satisfactorily.

I will start a new blog entry when I'm ready to say something useful about this, but I haven't put the 'oxy-acetylene' equipment away yet.

Thanks, in case it is ever possible to get hold of non-runners, it would be interesting to know how much excavation is needed inside the body. (Are explosives involved?)

Thanks, in case it is ever possible to get hold of non-runners, it would be interesting to know how much excavation is needed inside the body. (Are explosives involved?)

Coachman (Larry Goddard) and others did a post on this thread several eons back showing the interior of these things. Explosives are definitely a good starting point.

• RMweb Gold

There is some information now on my first blog post - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-21363-new-chassis-for-the-hattons-14xx/

• RMweb Premium

If you should ask them and find out it is possible please let us know, that would be a good idea.

In response to my question whether any of the return Models will be made available as "Spares or Repairs" the replay was:-

" we will not have any spares available for this loco "

• RMweb Gold

In response to my question whether any of the return Models will be made available as "Spares or Repairs" the replay was:-

" we will not have any spares available for this loco "[/size]

How about asking Mr.Jones himself via the DJ Models site?

• RMweb Gold

How about asking Mr.Jones himself via the DJ Models site?

'Mr Jones' seems to ignore any requests for information on spares for loco commissioned from him. So don't hold your breath.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Anyone wanting a spare body will still be faced with the conundrum of either dismantling said body, with risk of possible damage to various component parts of the body or not being able to remove the various DJM components lodged within, including motor, motor bracket, DCC type chip (in smokebox) and, of course, that horrible lump of mazak.

As it’s a Hattons exclusive commission they hold the rights to the product not DJM

The 02 was a Kernow exclusive. I bought my second from Dave last year at Warley from his returns pile.

Whether he is there this year doing something similar I don't know, last year was about promoting the APT I think.

In fairness, Dave Jones has said time and again any issues you go through Hattons....be it for spares or anything else.

The basis being they buy from him as contracted and all problems issues/ spare parts requests go through Hattons. Anything he sells directly goes through him.

Khris

" we will not have any spares available for this loco "

Thanks for the information, a pity though. It's odd but for so popular a prototype if one wants a good-looking mechanically sound 4mm model (especially P4 or EM) it's either buy a complete one of these and do these major excavations while binning the chassis (expensive and possibly risky), or it's back to a decent kit chassis and trying to improve the other RTR body or an eBay K's one, or hope someone one day re-introduces the Perseverance kit.

• Like 1

Nearly 2 years after release it seems Hattons have done a good job of looking after the many customers unhappy with this model but I find it hard to believe there'll be another JV with DJM after the initial exciting promise (Post #1) so totally under-performed

"Our new,highly detailed model will be designed and produced in partnership with DJ Models and will set new standards for a ready-to-run small locomotive....."

This was an opportunity missed by a country mile and when put alongside the many other small loco failures I've had in the interim, it totally sours my enthusiasm for spending the sort of money required to further expand my small steam fleet.   

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Nearly 2 years after release it seems Hattons have done a good job of looking after the many customers unhappy with this model but I find it hard to believe there'll be another JV with DJM after the initial exciting promise (Post #1) so totally under-performed

"Our new,highly detailed model will be designed and produced in partnership with DJ Models and will set new standards for a ready-to-run small locomotive....."

This was an opportunity missed by a country mile and when put alongside the many other small loco failures I've had in the interim, it totally sours my enthusiasm for spending the sort of money required to further expand my small steam fleet.

Colin

In fairness, it doesn't say the new standards would be high.

• RMweb Gold

As good as the Austerity or better.

Are we missing something here Robin ? I have to bow to the vastly superior knowledge of those on a higher plane than I can but dream of.....but dare I speak as I find...pause for breath to stifle panic attack.? OK guys perceived wisdom dictates it's crap....except that of the 4 ( no not a misprint ) I have currently in my possession,none of them exhibit the anti social tendencies reported at length on a variety of posts herein.They are a bit noisy true but not to an unacceptable level and they all do what they were asked to do which is to work an auto train with reasonable slow speed control on DC in each direction.

I apologise if I have spoiled anybody's Sunday lunch pre dinner pint and now expect pariah status or a position on the naughty step at least. Just going upstairs to put on my hair shirt...