Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

Has anyone remove the moulded coal in the tender? I presume it is removable as a spare is provided. I have tried with a little pressure, not wishing to damage the tender sides, but failed. There is a gap around the molded coal but is it glued in?...

Past precedent: the O2. Coal moulding secured by a couple of small pegs on the underside, lightly tacked with cement. Steadily increasing the applied force until they snapped did the job with no damage.

My 4706 has arrived at last. One side of the pony truck axle needed clipping back in, the 2 support struts on the front needed put back on, and one whistle needed replacing. Apart from that she’s in good condition. Look forward to getting her run in.

"apart from that"

• RMweb Premium

First impressions on the running qualities are excellent. Very smooth and quiet straight from the box. No tight spots or issues at all. And from the weight of the loco, I reckon I’ll run out of rolling stock before it slips. For my first Heljan loco, I’m very impressed and will definitely be adding the remaining BR and new build variants.

• Like 2

First impressions on the running qualities are excellent. Very smooth and quiet straight from the box. No tight spots or issues at all. And from the weight of the loco, I reckon I’ll run out of rolling stock before it slips. For my first Heljan loco, I’m very impressed and will definitely be adding the remaining BR and new build variants.

Actually Hilux in spite of the damage done to my two 47XXs in the journey to NZ (I am presuming they left the factory or retailer in one piece) I think they are very fine models and mine run beautifully too.  The pony truck axle and stay bars are annoying things to fix but not overly tricky even for me (memories of a certain Bachmann 9F 92233 I sold with a broken/repaired pony truck which I had forgotten about... I still feel guilty! )

There seems to be silence now about damaged 47XXs, does this mean there weren't many in this category, or have the first batch been sold and or returned?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

(memories of a certain Bachmann 9F 92233 I sold with a broken/repaired pony truck which I had forgotten about... I still feel guilty! )

There seems to be silence now about damaged 47XXs, does this mean there weren't many in this category, or have the first batch been sold and or returned?

I remember ordering the replacement pony truck for that 9F when it arrived at my house. And you had disclosed the fact that it was broken and repaired so nothing to feel guilty about.

Given the extent of the damage to some people’s Models, I would say quite a few have been returned. Hopefully the next batch doesn’t have these issues.

I remember ordering the replacement pony truck for that 9F when it arrived at my house. And you had disclosed the fact that it was broken and repaired so nothing to feel guilty about.

Given the extent of the damage to some people’s Models, I would say quite a few have been returned. Hopefully the next batch doesn’t have these issues.

We can but hope ! Have got one on order with Hatton's, the new build one, thought about cancelling in light of all the adverse comments but decided I really want one so decided to let the order stand and hope that it's a good one. Yes, I know Hattons' customer service is great and would exchange it if faulty, but it always takes the edge off when you receive a faulty one and from a mainstream, supposedly reputable manufacturer it's not something we should have to worry about - manufacture/QA/packaging standards should be a given.

• RMweb Premium

We can but hope ! Have got one on order with Hatton's, the new build one, thought about cancelling in light of all the adverse comments but decided I really want one so decided to let the order stand and hope that it's a good one. Yes, I know Hattons' customer service is great and would exchange it if faulty, but it always takes the edge off when you receive a faulty one and from a mainstream, supposedly reputable manufacturer it's not something we should have to worry about - manufacture/QA/packaging standards should be a given.

Ask Hattons to check it over prior to shipping it. I asked and they did for me.

Rails have rung to say my replacement might oak is now in stock and has been checked over and is in one piece. We shall see if it survives the royal mail. This is a "GREAT WESTERN" version, so those must now be in stock

• RMweb Gold

Ask Hattons to check it over prior to shipping it. I asked and they did for me.

Given known issues here,why is this not the rule rather than the exception ? It would save both client and subsequently retailer a pile of unnecessary grief.

Well the replacement night owl arrived today. And despite being checked before it left the shop once again both sets of can steps are broken. I can see their broken without even taking it out of the plastic packaging.

So it's going back to Rails.

Anyone else had this problem with the night owl?????

• RMweb Premium

.... despite being checked before it left the shop once again both sets of can steps are broken.

Which tends to suggest that purchasers are best advised to collect their models from a retailer; the packaging is clearly incapable of protecting the models when posted / couriered.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

My first 47XX came with both cab foorsteps broken off, as well as a few other things.  My thoughts are that the inner packaging is not up to the job.

Hattons provided a replacement which has no problems with broken or missing bits, and runs sweetly.

Tom

But what seems bizarre to me is that the steps are not simply snapped off but twisted and broken as if somebody has tried (and succeeded) in wragging them off the engine

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, reading all this and knowing my luck I am thinking about cancelling my order.

Mine is 47XX 2-8-0 NIGHT OWL 4707 WITH GW LETTERING

Just ask them to check it over for you before sending it.

Just ask them to check it over for you before sending it.

I tried that and it apparently left Rails in one piece but by the time it arrived with me the cab steps had been mangled.

I tried that and it apparently left Rails in one piece but by the time it arrived with me the cab steps had been mangled.

That's very poor indeed, is noone from Heljan on this forum and can offer an explanation or are their customers simply a nuisance to them?

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps if all the people were to email Heljan directly, instead of whinging and whining on here which most of the time does no good, then perhaps they would get the message that there are issues.