Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

We have had a first sample but as this has been rejected we have to await some revisions and improvements before we can post any pictures.

I will try and update this post as and when the next suitable sample arrives.

I think all will be reassured by this......the 47XX is in a safe pair of hands.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope and expect that Heljan will take the time necessary to get this right.  I don't much care which year it is released; whenever it is released it will represent the only RTR model anyone is likely to produce of this prototype in my lifetime and, if they blow it, well  ...  we're stuck with it.

So, we don't want the corner cutting we saw on the Hornby Star and 7200, or their nasty green, or the compromises of Bachmann's second attempt at a Modified Hall, and we don't want the anticipated inaccuracies of the Oxford Dean Goods.

While information is always welcome, so far as I am concerned Heljan is welcome, and may be well-advised, to keep its powder dry until it is satisfied it has things dead right.

These days I don't froth.  Generally I doubt and hope to be proved wrong.  In the case of Heljan, I know of know reason to doubt, and, so, hope not to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

I hope and expect that Heljan will take the time necessary to get this right.  I don't much care which year it is released; whenever it is released it will represent the only RTR model anyone is likely to produce of this prototype in my lifetime and, if they blow it, well  ...  we're stuck with it.

So, we don't want the corner cutting we saw on the Hornby Star and 7200, or their nasty green, or the compromises of Bachmann's second attempt at a Modified Hall, and we don't want the anticipated inaccuracies of the Oxford Dean Goods.

While information is always welcome, so far as I am concerned Heljan is welcome, and may be well-advised, to keep its powder dry until it is satisfied it has things dead right.

These days I don't froth.  Generally I doubt and hope to be proved wrong.  In the case of Heljan, I know of know reason to doubt, and, so, hope not to be proved wrong.

Well if only the green is wrong, that is easy for a manufacturer to correct for the next run. Agree the rest will be hard to put right though.

• 2 weeks later...

97s were known as 'tunnel motors at Old Oak.  I have spoken to a couple of men who fired on 633s in the Smithfield Link at Old Oak but neither of them referred to them as 'tunnel motors' although it is not at all unlikely taht they may well have also been given that name.

Ah, the ascription of 'tunnel motor' to the 633s is possibly my fault (in commenting to Adrian Marks on one of his 'Basilica Fields' blogs), but I got it from the Reeves et al Great Western Engine Sheds book, which I may have misinterpreted, and in which case, my apologies.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the ascription of 'tunnel motor' to the 633s is possibly my fault (in commenting to Adrian Marks on one of his 'Basilica Fields' blogs), but I got it from the Reeves et al Great Western Engine Sheds book, which I may have misinterpreted, and in which case, my apologies.

Welcome back! (unless, that is, I've been missing your recent posts for some reason)

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone heard anything more about this? Heljan are still ignoring my messages

Well, Heljan's stand at Warley has one on display, for delivery late 2017. I've only seen it in the background of some of the Warley photos folk have posted so far today, but I imagine a number of folk have taken better photos that can be posted here.

John

When I was stood there, I overheard the Heljan guy say to the chap next to me, who had a large camera, that Heljan didn't want people taking pics of the 47xx at this stage. He implied there were some things to correct and the sample, in his view, was at too earlier stage to show publicly

David

When I was stood there, I overheard the Heljan guy say to the chap next to me, who had a large camera, that Heljan didn't want people taking pics of the 47xx at this stage. He implied there were some things to correct and the sample, in his view, was at too earlier stage to show publicly

David

Oh. No one told me off and that was all I was really interested in looking at!

But it wasn't easy to get a good photo.

Luke

Oh. No one told me off and that was all I was really interested in looking at!

But it wasn't easy to get a good photo.

Luke

It's rather hard to stop people taking pics but as the guy was saying that as I was stood next to him, I thought it would be a teensy weensy but aggressive to take my phone out and start snapping...

I would imagine they didn't want photos being taken due to it not being approved, as I read somewhere that changes were needed, so I guess same with Oxford when they had samples of their Radial they didn't want photos being taken as they were not approved yet.. Although I have seen one photo of it, not very clear mind you as it was at the back of the cabinet.

As a droll aside, I asked about buying a 13xx tank. Was told next month. Droll as the full page ad in the programme said "available now"

The release details were printed a few weeks ago to appear on the handouts at Warley and at that time the products were on the 'high seas' from China. Unfortunately there were problems with forwarding the consignment to meet the exhibition in time................................but they are on their way!

• 3 weeks later...
Just had this email from Hattons:

"We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Heljan 4782 Class 47xx 2-8-0 4707 in GWR green with GW lettering £154.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between July 2017 & September 2017

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. 

This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

July to September, further away than I expected but not too far. If it can come towards the end of that forecast will make a perfect birthday present.

This is about the only release of the year that is a must buy for me, the rest I'm happy to wait and see if it ends up in the bargain bin...

• Like 1