Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

This post from earlier in the thread should answer that question for you The Johnster.

Thank you, Hilux.  If it was indeed a local name from Oxford it is fitting that the new loco at Didcot continues it.  I am glad that it is a 'proper' name for the locos!

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Collett suggested naming the 47xxs in 1927 and was supported in this by the GWR's General Manager Sir Felix Pole. You are quite right in saying that it was Viscount Churchill who turned it down. Additionally, Collett requested that they be fitted with side windows to the cabs but this was declined on cost grounds. Collett would be keenly aware of the importance of the 47s to the GWR - there were just nine locos and one spare boiler to cover the bulk of the company's fast overnight "fitted" freight work. These trains routinely weighed in at over 700 tons and were of such importance that Collett was briefed daily about the running of these lucrative trains.

The 47s truly were "unsung heroes" of the GWR. Their importance was well know within the company but seems to be little understood by the enthusiast fraternity.

Source for the above is "Great Western Eight Coupled Heavy Freight Locomotives" by David Maidment. Highly recommended.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

They were ahead of their time in some ways, a large boiler with a good reserve of steam on an engine able to pull heavy trains and still run fast despite having smaller driving wheels that were though necessary for such work sounds like a summary of a Riddles 9F to me!  They were a small class because 9 were sufficient to run their intended express freight traffic over the routes they were restricted to, and not in any way a reflection of their potential usefulness had axle loads been less of an issue.  The rest of the system had to make do with Halls, and accounts of such work suggests that they were too close to their limits for comfort; they were hard on their firemen, and while one expects a rough trip now and then if a loco is steaming badly, constant collar work is an indication that something better is wanted!

Collett suggested naming the 47xxs in 1927 and was supported in this by the GWR's General Manager Sir Felix Pole. You are quite right in saying that it was Viscount Churchill who turned it down. Additionally, Collett requested that they be fitted with side windows to the cabs but this was declined on cost grounds. Collett would be keenly aware of the importance of the 47s to the GWR - there were just nine locos and one spare boiler to cover the bulk of the company's fast overnight "fitted" freight work. These trains routinely weighed in at over 700 tons and were of such importance that Collett was briefed daily about the running of these lucrative trains.

The 47s truly were "unsung heroes" of the GWR. Their importance was well know within the company but seems to be little understood by the enthusiast fraternity.

Source for the above is "Great Western Eight Coupled Heavy Freight Locomotives" by David Maidment. Highly recommended.

Indeed, the full list of the names chosen is on page 206 of the RCTS volume 4 of 'British Standard Steam Locomotives - 9F's'. And one of the names is in use on a preserved exGW 2-8-0T.

One advantage for a trainspotter at Old Oak shed was there was no shortage of 47XX, normally parked in the siding beside the main road entrance at the bottom of the hill on the south side of the huge roundhouse. Waiting for their nights work out of Paddington goods shed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just got back into railway modelling this year after a lay-off of forty-five years - and this is a first post. I had to start again from scratch. I've bought some locos from various brands - but not so far from Heljan. Has anyone done any sort of review of the Heljan 4700 yet - and if so - where can I find it....? Cheers... :-)

Hi, I just got back into railway modelling this year after a lay-off of forty-five years - and this is a first post. I had to start again from scratch. I've bought some locos from various brands - but not so far from Heljan. Has anyone done any sort of review of the Heljan 4700 yet - and if so - where can I find it....? Cheers... :-)

It hasn’t appeared yet, so there isn’t one to review.

• RMweb Premium

Ah - that would explain it then...! I saw some mention on the web of it having come-out last year... Let's hope it's worth waiting for... Many Thanks :-)

It was announced last year. They have a first EP that they are working on now so a 2nd EP won't be far away.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just had an email from Hattons saying the 47xx should be available Jan 18 - Mar 18.

That's a shame at least they have bothered to inform people on behalf of Heljan unlike a lot of other stores.

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Hattons says £154, though I imagine that will rise by the time the locos are released.

At Kernow, MRD and a few others big box shifters it seems to be at £169 so I really wouldn't be surprised if the Hattons price does end up increasing.  However it did prompt me to place an order for 4707 with Hattons just in case they do end up selling at £154!

Really looking forward for this one, ​so I hope they don't mess it up....  

• RMweb Gold

Really looking forward for this one, ​so I hope they don't mess it up....

Me too but I'm happy to wait and see before I commit to buying it. Glad to see a post war GW livery.

Me too but I'm happy to wait and see before I commit to buying it. Glad to see a post war GW livery.

Whilst there is inherent risk in this statement,Heljan seemed to make a lot of the LNER O2s and those could be picked up cheaply if you were prepared to wait. It seems when you get simultaneous multi livery issues, there are often better deals to be had in due course

David

• RMweb Gold

Whilst there is inherent risk in this statement,Heljan seemed to make a lot of the LNER O2s and those could be picked up cheaply if you were prepared to wait. It seems when you get simultaneous multi livery issues, there are often better deals to be had in due course

David

That fine provided the one you are after hasn't sold out when you go to buy, a sharp eye on the market is needed to get the one you want.  :O

• RMweb Gold

There is good sense in that approach.The O2  had some dire initial teething problems and we are all aware of the Hattons BG saga and current "difficulties" with the L&B release.Be that as it may,Heljan have actually produced a fine model in most respects in the O2 with performance and haulage capacity second to none. There is no reason to suppose the 47XX will disappoint.

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

That's a shame at least they have bothered to inform people on behalf of Heljan unlike a lot of other stores.

Well most don't because shops are not always given up to date information on expected release dates. I don't know how Hattons get the expected dates for all these products constantly updates, but for a smaller shop (like us) it would require us to contact each manufacturer on a probably weekly basis to get the latest info for each item. Something like that simply is not feasible for many, if not most, model railway shops. There is no magic list of all updated info that just pops through our door each week! :D

Alex @ Footplate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...