Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Posted on Facebook today:

https://www.facebook.com/hattonsmodelrailways/photos/a.290653184288454.71994.217917844895322/1721462671207491/?type=3&hc_ref=ARTDo_MdQQ54T1L-194mgRikiAXnNx31Ki-I-w5Owojqfo2MQDUrL5SbzSv-S-PyVk4&pnref=story

First two variations expected next week:

4783 - 4706 in BR Black with early emblem

4780 - 4704 in GWR green with Shirtbutton

Still no photos of the finished article though. It must be a secret.

• RMweb Premium

The pair of whistles look like they could easily be improved by replacement and PLEASE tell me that is not a mould line 3/4 the way up the boiler!

Tony

Yes they could easily be replaced, and ok I won’t tell you it’s a mould Line 3/4 the way up the boiler (but it is)

• RMweb Gold

Yes they could easily be replaced, and ok I won’t tell you it’s a mould Line 3/4 the way up the boiler (but it is)

Here's a better photo, click to enlarge, of the shirtbutton version.

post-126-0-78751700-1521746516_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Am I imagining it, or is the drive applied to the rear axle on this model? If it were applied to the third axle I would expect to see part of the gearbox forward of the firebox between the frames, as is the case with many RTR 2-8-0s (Hornby 28xx/38xx, Hornby 8F, Bachmann G2A).

That may be a cosmetic improvement, but does it have implications for the running qualities of the chassis?

Andy.

Am I imagining it, or is the drive applied to the rear axle on this model? If it were applied to the third axle I would expect to see part of the gearbox forward of the firebox between the frames, as is the case with many RTR 2-8-0s (Hornby 28xx/38xx, Hornby 8F, Bachmann G2A).

That may be a cosmetic improvement, but does it have implications for the running qualities of the chassis?

I have not a clue which axle is driven, but in terms of layout there is no difficulty running a concealed spur gear train down to axle 3 of the 47xx. I am confident oif this, as before the Bach 9F came along I put a concealed spur gear drive onto axle 4 of a Hornby 9F. The drive line goes down vertically between the two rearmost axles, and engages the forward axle, and it works perfectly well. In short, I'd suggest no worries on either score.  

What I will be interested in is the construction. Heljan used a construction quite unlike anything I was familiar with for both the Beyer Garratt and O2. My example of an O2 and two friend's Garratts all run well, but I am not taking my O2 apart unless it really needs it. On this precedent I would expect 'same again' in general constructional terms with the 47xx. Let's see.

• Like 1

The one I have ordered is not there yet... not sure whether to be disappointed (I have to wait, which is never a good skill of mine) or be glad (my credit card has taken a hammering thanks to my railway in recent weeks!)

• RMweb Gold

Robin,

That has to be a pre-production hash-up, the numberplates are so poor............

Tony

Heljan are keeping what they're really like a secret in case we all go and order one.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Is that all ?? Now compare the smokebox door on the model with pics of the real thing, and concentrate on the hinge arrangement, and profile of the door.

As your previously posted photo of 4701 shews.

post-126-0-54753700-1521831683.jpg

• Like 1

Well there's certainly one error - the footstep that is supposed to be attached to the outer ring of the smokebox directly beneath the shed plate is actually midway between the inner and outer rings:-

***CORRECTION***

The position of the smokebox footstep changed during the life of the class. In photographs of the 47s taken in the 20s and early 30s it is in the position represented in the Heljan model below. The steps were lowered to the position seen in Post #442 and this seems to have become 'standard' in the 50s and 60s.

post-33660-0-60079200-1521833739.jpg

Andy.

Edited by 7007GreatWestern

• RMweb Premium

This is quite possibly a false memory, but the "Night Owl" soubriquet rings a faint bell from back in the 70s. Railway Modeller had a series called Locomotives of the GWR featuring a 4mm scale line drawing by CJF. Is it possible that the one for the 47XX was headed "Churchward's Night Owls"?

The Fkcwit fake news, fake info, fake internet stuff will filter into the printed press one day and we will see photo captions along the lines of "A Churchward Night Owl passes a Stanier Black Eight just outside Gobshyte train station circa 1959. Some authoritative modellers say BR got it's green too dark; citing Hornby's green as being far more accurate seeing as it lasted longer".   :tease:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

This is quite possibly a false memory, but the "Night Owl" soubriquet rings a faint bell from back in the 70s. Railway Modeller had a series called Locomotives of the GWR featuring a 4mm scale line drawing by CJF. Is it possible that the one for the 47XX was headed "Churchward's Night Owls"?

The phrase isn't used in the book that was produced from those drawings. Its just captioned "The Biggest 2-8-0"

Edited by JimC

I expect many people would choose to renumber their models and fit better plates anyway. If the originals are smaller than the after-market plates, then all the better.  I have read with interest the route restrictions on these heavy 2-8-0's while bearing in mind that such minor frivolities never barred Hornby 'King' class locos from many a baseboard. A 47XX would have found its way to Carrog had I still modeled in 4mm...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

February 1968, according to my index, but that year is in storage so I can't verify the use of the nickname. Anyone got a copy to hand?

Does ring a bell with me too, now you mention it.

John

• RMweb Gold

So who dares to blink first then?

That's the thing, if they don't sell they'll not do another GWR engine again as they'll feel it's not worth it. People vote with their wallets not just their hearts and head.