Kernow 117 3 car DMU

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Well, my order was to be four 116s and a 118, but I've no use for a 117.  So I sincerely hope that somebody does produce a 116 and a 118, and sooner, rather than later.
C'est la vie.

Edited by Phatbob

You can still pre-order a Dapol OO 121 on Hattons website. So are Dapol still going to produce one?

Let's look at the history of the announcements:

1. Dapol announce a 121.

2. Kernow announce a 116/117/118 in conjunction with DJM.

3. Kernow announce that they are now partnered with Bachmann instead to produce a 117 and (surprise, surprise) a 121.

4. Bachmann confirm 3.

5. DJM confirm 3.

Nothing in the announcements saying Dapol won't do a 121.

Nothing in the announcements saying anyone will now be doing a 116/118.

So yes, it looks likely at the moment that there will be two new 121 models in addition to the Limby one. Good for us as we can choose the best one (just like we did when offered multiple 37s, 47s, Aircon Mk2s etc etc). What's even better is that there might be a race to get a model to market meaning we might see it sooner rather than later. Hopefully quality is not compromised in the rush to market.

Guy

Edited by lyneux

Nothing says Dapol will drop the 121 but given that we have not really seen any development on this, I would not be surprised if they did. IIRC, they have only done some preliminary CAD work, possibly scaling up the N Gauge stuff. If they have not yet started cutting metal on the tooling, they may decide to save the money and go for something without competition.

I think Dapol missed the boat with these models a bit to be honest. Their original projected release date was late 2013. You cannot blame someone else for moving in after no apparent progress in all that time.

Nothing says Dapol will drop the 121 but given that we have not really seen any development on this, I would not be surprised if they did. IIRC, they have only done some preliminary CAD work, possibly scaling up the N Gauge stuff. If they have not yet started cutting metal on the tooling, they may decide to save the money and go for something without competition.

I think Dapol missed the boat with these models a bit to be honest. Their original projected release date was late 2013. You cannot blame someone else for moving in after no apparent progress in all that time.

There could indeed be a lesson there. If a company thinks they will beat you to it, putting a stake in the ground is no longer suffice, they need to show progress.

I always found it odd that Bachmann had avoided these important popular classes until now. Not a surprise they doing them, but is a pleasant surprise they decided a more tactful approach with Kernow showing their intentions and allowing collaboration.

Edited by JSpencer

I always found it odd that Bachmann had avoided these important popular classes until now.

I think they just decided to get plenty of mileage out of their existing 57' chassis. Easy wins like this help to fund more ambitious stuff. Now that they will have a 64' chassis, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. A cross country 120 perhaps?

• Like 2

Who will get to market first?

I think we will probably find out some time between 2019 and 2020 as a rough guess.

I think this will move a bit faster than that now. My guess is that Kernow's decision to go with Bachmann is a fairly good indicator.

• Like 1

I think they just decided to get plenty of mileage out of their existing 57' chassis. Easy wins like this help to fund more ambitious stuff. Now that they will have a 64' chassis, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. A cross country 120 perhaps?

A Class 305 EMU would suit me nicely...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Karhedron

Each one of the short underframe DMUs that Bachmann have made in 00 differs form the others.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol were to do a 122 in 00 as well. As far as I remember.

Yes, and that's the one I want.

Putting an optimistic gloss on this, if Dapol dump the 121, they will not need complex dual purpose tooling and making just the 122 might be easier and quicker.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I would hope Dapol focus on the Class 122 now so they can get some return on any investment made to date without competing head to head with Bachmann, although if they are further ahead they might make it to market before Bachmann I suppose.

All of which assumes they have actually done something rather than just talked about it.

As I said in post #109

We will probably find out who is first to market in 2019 or 2020

As for Bachmann doing the 121 and Dapol the 122 and thus "not competing" I beg to suggest that the majority of box openers will just see a single DMU car and will buy one OR the other. I think people forget that the market is not just made up of "proper" modellers.

• RMweb Gold

As I said in post #109

We will probably find out who is first to market in 2019 or 2020

As for Bachmann doing the 121 and Dapol the 122 and thus "not competing" I beg to suggest that the majority of box openers will just see a single DMU car and will buy one OR the other. I think people forget that the market is not just made up of "proper" modellers.

Mind you, if they aren't "proper modellers" they're probably quite satisfied with the Lima or Hornby ones they already have.............

John

• RMweb Premium

Mind you, if they aren't "proper modellers" they're probably quite satisfied with the Lima or Hornby ones they already have.............

John

Hi John

I would disagree, it is not a proper model for proper modellers unless it has too many lights you cannot turn off and the guard blowing his whistle before you can move forward. Something the Limby one doesn't do.

I think there are some "proper modellers" who are quite happy with Lima and even Hornby stuff. Much of it benefits from some work but takes no more work than Bachmann or new Hornby stuff.

But I REALLY don't want to get back into the "rtr modifier vs. box opener" argument if you don't mind. The sun will blow up in six billion years and I hope not to still be discussing Lima vs Bachmann....

• 2 months later...

I gave up waiting for Dapol. Ordered a 121 and 122, but given up on ever seeing them from Dapol. My Lima one has now been re-motored with a Black Beetle with extra pick-ups and new wheels on trailing bogie. Not in the market for one now, whoever releases it.

Hi John

... and the guard blowing his whistle before you can move forward. Something the Limby one doesn't do.

Actually you CAN convert old Lima 117s to DCC sound using the Hornby Class 121 chassis with a slight mod. I've done it. I make no apologies for making a noise with Kings Oak at exhibitions, I'm there to entertain especially Jo and Joanna Normal and their kids who get very interested when the train "driver" blows his horn or the "guard" blows his whistle. If just one of those youngsters gets excited enough to want their own model railway then upsetting a few crustier modellers by making a noise is worth it - and judging by some of the comments I got last year at Aldridge and Ruddington, some adults were interested in starting their own DCC sound layouts too.

• Like 2

I think there are some "proper modellers" who are quite happy with Lima and even Hornby stuff. Much of it benefits from some work but takes no more work than Bachmann or new Hornby stuff.

But I REALLY don't want to get back into the "rtr modifier vs. box opener" argument if you don't mind. The sun will blow up in six billion years and I hope not to still be discussing Lima vs Bachmann....

So, if we 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' will we be using DCC?

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

And so, two years on, it looks like there is still a gap in the market for Class 116s and 118s (and more modern 117s)..........

Just because nothing's been announced...who's to say that Bachmann won't incorporate 116 and 118 options in its 117 tooling? To me it would be surprising if they didn't. With that possibility on the cards, I really can't see any other manufacturer taking them on as there's too high a risk of duplication. Whether we ever see them would if so presumably depend on how well the 117s sell once they are available.