New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

• RMweb Gold

Suspect Hornby having manufacturing issues again.

Deep in the annual report it says Hornby didn’t place orders in time in China and missed out on securing production slots, something they want to have resolved by March 2020 !

It has been very quiet from both Hornby and Bachmann this year though.

If Trumps trade war hits WTO category 9503, then we might see space in Chinese factories open up faster...

The last round published last week is very substantive but stopped short, perhaps after Christmas, Santa is quite important in the US calendar, for several key US stocks, politically kids not getting toys for Christmas won’t win many votes, but who cares in New Years.

Edited by adb968008

I wonder if those who renew in 2019 will receive 2x 0-4-0’s (one for 2018 & one for 2019) at the same time ?

So 1500 H class limited editions, max 1 per person, and it’s still available.. so the club either has less than 1500 members, or a proportion who actually want the 101 0-4-0T and not the H.

If you renew in 2019, you'll get another in a different livery in 2020.

And so on...

Perhaps the cohort of those who missed the initial release of the SECR livery H isn't as large as Hornby hoped it would be, and the rest are waiting for it to appear with online retailers offering it at an effective discount due to not having to join the club?  Rather like the white-roof Flying Scotsman from the last club issue.

• 5 weeks later...

If you renew in 2019, you'll get another in a different livery in 2020.

And so on...

Perhaps the cohort of those who missed the initial release of the SECR livery H isn't as large as Hornby hoped it would be, and the rest are waiting for it to appear with online retailers offering it at an effective discount due to not having to join the club?  Rather like the white-roof Flying Scotsman from the last club issue.

I can't imagine this will be the case, there was huge demand for this livery. One issue might be that this is a preserved loco and as such is catering to a different era than the original SECR release. However given that x% would buy the SECR livery because is looks gorgeous, that shouldn't make much difference!

However, if they do head to any other retailers, I'd hope the Bluebell shop get a decent allocation, as it is somewhat harsh that they can't profit from a model of 'their' loco, especially given that Hornby measured up 263 itself.

I was surprised at the white-roof scotsman, mainly because with a touch of satin black you would have a perfect 1980s railtour machine. This said, the ski-slope running plate was a massive turn off (and indeed prevented me adding one to my scotsman body swap-out collection)

• Like 1

Just like to add there is now no mention at all of the free tank loco that you get for being a member.. I've looked all over the members section and it doesn't even show up in "orders".  The only place you see it is "become a member" and due for delivery in September. 

Edited by Tiddles47

If/when you become a member, you get an email stating:

As a member of The Collector Club you can now enjoy the following benefits that come as part of your membership, including:

- An all new quarterly magazine with totally new content and editor

- An annual Hornby loco

- Access to exclusive Club models

- Yearly badge

- Membership card

its pretty thin stuff, but you'll get an inexpensive 0-4-0 wether you want one or not!  The 0-4-0 does have an R number (R3678) though this apppears to also be the R number for a discontinued Rivarossi SNCB T2 sleeping car!.  The last I heard was that it had been put back to January '19.

As its a free loco (part of the membership benefits) its not invoiced separately, though it does appear on the order email for club membership.

Edited by Hroth

If/when you become a member, you get an email stating:

As a member of The Collector Club you can now enjoy the following benefits that come as part of your membership, including:

- An all new quarterly magazine with totally new content and editor

- An annual Hornby loco

- Access to exclusive Club models

- Yearly badge

- Membership card

its pretty thin stuff, but you'll get an inexpensive 0-4-0 wether you want one or not!  The 0-4-0 does have an R number (R3678) though this apppears to also be the R number for a discontinued Rivarossi SNCB T2 sleeping car!.  The last I heard was that it had been put back to January '19.

As its a free loco (part of the membership benefits) its not invoiced separately, though it does appear on the order email for club membership.

I get that but anyone new to the club or indeed the hobby this isn't showing Hornby in a good light.  If say a member was a young boy (or girl) just starting out and it states a loco comes with the membership,  then they're gonna want the loco more or less immediately. But to show nothing in orders makes it kinda ambiguous and then they will question why they joined in the first place. there must be something to show in the members area that there is a free loco on the way at some point soon. 

I hope I've worded this properly so i get my point across... 

• Like 1

I can't imagine this will be the case, there was huge demand for this livery. One issue might be that this is a preserved loco and as such is catering to a different era than the original SECR release. However given that x% would buy the SECR livery because is looks gorgeous, that shouldn't make much difference!

However, if they do head to any other retailers, I'd hope the Bluebell shop get a decent allocation, as it is somewhat harsh that they can't profit from a model of 'their' loco, especially given that Hornby measured up 263 itself.

I was surprised at the white-roof scotsman, mainly because with a touch of satin black you would have a perfect 1980s railtour machine. This said, the ski-slope running plate was a massive turn off (and indeed prevented me adding one to my scotsman body swap-out collection)

FWIW Hornby did pay for 263 to be fully repainted.

FWIW Hornby did pay for 263 to be fully repainted.

Indeed. Now whether she really needed repainting after 5 years is another question. i.e. Did it actually save the railway real money...! I seem to recall that 592 did a whole ticket without a repaint (maybe a revarnish). Fenchurch managed 10 years and looked great on retirement. Only recently with prolonged outside storage has the paintwork deteriorated significantly.

Anyway splitting hairs. yes they paid for a repaint, and got the railway a lot of attention at Warley. But some models to sell in the shop would also be nice... :-p

Edited by G-BOAF

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good grief. They can't even get an old tat 0-4-0 freebie out on time! What is going on with the big H?

I've just separated the body from the chassis of mine. It is obviously this loco has been produced down to a price level, and that price is £0.00. Is it beyond the wit of Hornby to put a decoder socket (six-pin, given the small space) in it? And as for those couplings being cast integral with the keeper plate!

My layout is DCC only, and standardises on Kadee couplers. I have better things to do than spend time (and money) converting this worthless loco to run on it.

Come on, Hornby, send me my H class soon, so I can resign from your collectors' club.

Really??? Where on earth did you pick that up from?

It was the "impression" I had from your wonderful engine shed. But you'd know better than me for sure.

I love the H class, own 3 so far with 2 more to come including 263. My only critic is the front half of the boiler is not diecast to really put weight on those drivers (and if we could move away from 8 pin to 6 pin DCC plugs on these small locos - after all we'll never fit TTS sound in this - unless there is big dev in pipeline to reduce TTS to the size of an 8 pin plug itself).

I've just separated the body from the chassis of mine. It is obviously this loco has been produced down to a price level, and that price is £0.00. Is it beyond the wit of Hornby to put a decoder socket (six-pin, given the small space) in it? And as for those couplings being cast integral with the keeper plate!

My layout is DCC only, and standardises on Kadee couplers. I have better things to do than spend time (and money) converting this worthless loco to run on it.

I wonder though, would it be worth cash strapped Hornby investing in that? I doubt most serious modelers are going to run this let alone fit DCC and Kadees. Mine will be used for the kids or to test new track work etc. Makes a nice paper weight or present for a young child. It's a free gift to dispose of as you please.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I wonder though, would it be worth cash strapped Hornby investing in that? I doubt most serious modelers are going to run this let alone fit DCC and Kadees. Mine will be used for the kids or to test new track work etc. Makes a nice paper weight or present for a young child. It's a free gift to dispose of as you please.

The free gift from Bachmann's collectors' club is worth having.

• RMweb Gold

There I agree, but maybe the customer base for Hornby's is edged to include a younger age.

Thats why the voucher was more worthwhile...

I can do more with a £15 voucher than a £30 toy, that might ebay for a tenner.. -12% fee, - 3.5% paypal fee - £3.95 postage, and prey hope the buyer doesnt decide to return it at my expense.

Edited by adb968008

Thats why the voucher was more worthwhile...

I can do more with a £15 voucher than a £30 toy, that might ebay for a tenner.. -12% fee, - 3.5% paypal fee - £3.95 postage, and prey hope the buyer doesnt decide to return it at my expense.

I agree the choices in the past were more interesting too. Likewise you had a non UK resident option.

To be honest, there was just one reason I joined this club and it was not for the mags (something that runs against my paperless culture) and free model.

• 1 month later...

Heads up chaps, the club H Class delivery has now slipped back to January'19 according to the Hornby website. 

It was March 2019 last time I checked, so maybe good news but we know these things move around a bit. From Memory, I think it went from Sept/Oct 2018 to Jan 2019 to March 2019.