New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

It was March 2019 last time I checked, so maybe good news but we know these things move around a bit. From Memory, I think it went from Sept/Oct 2018 to Jan 2019 to March 2019.

Yeah went from March to Jan to Dec and now back to Jan lol

Yeah went from March to Jan to Dec and now back to Jan lol

If it slips beyond the club renewal date, has anyone contact the club to see if 2018/19 members can still purchase if they don't renew?

I presume if they say 'you must have valid membership at time of dispatch' there is no recourse to trading law as technically we purchased club membership, not the right to be a H Class at a discounted price...

The H was dangled as a big carrot to get people to join - all there has been are a few magazines a month or two or three late judging by the new model reviews and which would be far better not printed and viewed as a pdf (as it can be), and a badge and a 0-4-0 that few want and which a number are cluttering ebay with little movement . With the end of year approaching what are the carrots that would make anyone want to renew (and I'm assuming they will honour the carrot  of the H without having to renew)

I didn't consider the H Class as a carrot - of any size - to get me to join. If you really needed the H, then the cost of membership plus the H, was a few pence shy of a non-membership purchase. The magazine is quarterly - any magazine published under this time scale will always have late reviews/information. I have been a member since 2007, the cost is peanuts (less than three packets of cigs. - I don't smoke). I am not interested in the badge, the grandchildren love the free loco, the magazine is a better read than the previous one. If there is a loco that is only available to members, if you want it, it's a bonus. Considering the problems Hornby have had, and continue to have, it amazes me the level of sniping that goes on about late arrivals etc. I pre-order at the beginning of the year when new announcements are made, and whatever I order will arrive when it becomes available. I certainly don't spend anytime moaning because it hasn't  arrived on time. 

• Like 1

I didn't consider the H Class as a carrot - of any size - to get me to join. If you really needed the H, then the cost of membership plus the H, was a few pence shy of a non-membership purchase. The magazine is quarterly - any magazine published under this time scale will always have late reviews/information. I have been a member since 2007, the cost is peanuts (less than three packets of cigs. - I don't smoke). I am not interested in the badge, the grandchildren love the free loco, the magazine is a better read than the previous one. If there is a loco that is only available to members, if you want it, it's a bonus. Considering the problems Hornby have had, and continue to have, it amazes me the level of sniping that goes on about late arrivals etc. I pre-order at the beginning of the year when new announcements are made, and whatever I order will arrive when it becomes available. I certainly don't spend anytime moaning because it hasn't  arrived on time.

I mean the problem is that the loco CAN'T be purchased unless you are a club member, so its not a case of joining fee + member loco price = non-member loco price. You can't purchase it!

I'm certainly not sniping, just saying that it would be helpful to have clarification from Hornby that orders placed while members of the club, in good faith that they will be delivered during the membership year, will be honoured.

I appreciate Hornby's difficulties, and am continuing to support them with purchases of those excellent products that are available.

If it slips beyond the club renewal date, has anyone contact the club to see if 2018/19 members can still purchase if they don't renew?

I presume if they say 'you must have valid membership at time of dispatch' there is no recourse to trading law as technically we purchased club membership, not the right to be a H Class at a discounted price...

Nope, you must have valid membership at the time of the order. Once placed, it is like any other order Hornby does. If Hornby deliver it after membership has expired, they still post the thing to you because you placed your order during membership period.

P.S I personally joined the club for this model. Would love them to sort out their international option though. It's a pain having stuff sent to a friend's house in the UK.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

Nope, you must have valid membership at the time of the order. Once placed, it is like any other order Hornby does. If Hornby deliver it after membership has expired, they still post the thing to you because you placed your order during membership period.

P.S I personally joined the club for this model. Would love them to sort out their international option though. It's a pain having stuff sent to a friend's house in the UK.

good to know. Thanks for this info.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just spoken to a very nice lady at the Hornby CC and she confirmed that if you have already ordered the H class and your membership then expires before it is released you will not have to join again to receive it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I dropped my Dapol club membership in 2017, and after ordering the H class i dropped my Hornby membership in Q1 2018 somewhere.

Ive seen nothing in the last 12 month to convince me to renew my Bachmann membership either when it lapses.

In all reality i think the days of collectors clubs has passed, at least in my zone they have lost their relevance.

Edited by adb968008

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest edition of the Hornby Collector magazine dropped through my letterbox this morning. IMHO its a good read and very much improved these days. The layout is attractive and it has some nice photographs from their recent 2019 announcements. It contains a variety of articles which should allow enthusiasts of differing ages and experience to find something of interest to them. Perhaps the only disappointment for me is to learn that this year's Club Loco will be a yellow version of what appears to be the Railroad Bagnall Shunter, I presume that this replaces the old GWR 0-4-0. I couldn't see any mention of an exclusive to follow on from the exquisite SECR H (OK, still awaited!).

There was a time when I wouldn't have considered joining the Hornby Club, having been a member of the Bachmann one for many years, I really do think it deserves much more serious consideration, especially if they go ahead and produce more exquisiite exclusives like the H.

all the best

Godfrey

• Administrators

Manages not to list the Terrier, so if anyone can work out the print date that should be a clue to after when Hornby decided to add it to the 2019 releases

As said in the Terrier topic, this was added to the list on Monday this week. It wasn't mentioned when we went to the press day in December.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the Hornby 2018 Collectors Club Exclusive SECR H Class (R3648) has now slipped from the last announced date of February 2019 to April 2019.

Wot fun, eh?

Even if Hornby offer an interesting club exclusive loco for 2019, I won't be tempted to renew until after the H is in my hands!

I see that the Hornby 2018 Collectors Club Exclusive SECR H Class (R3648) has now slipped from the last announced date of February 2019 to April 2019.

Wot fun, eh?

Even if Hornby offer an interesting club exclusive loco for 2019, I won't be tempted to renew until after the H is in my hands!

Post 463 confirms that if you have ordered the H Class through your current membership - you will still get it even if you don't renew.

Post 463 confirms that if you have ordered the H Class through your current membership - you will still get it even if you don't renew.

I appreciate that, I was just remarking that the only chance Hornby will get of me renewing my Collectors Club membership is

A. After I get my H class and

B. If there's something equally attractive

And even then, I'd be waiting to see how long Hornby was taking to disgorge another "Exclusive" model!

I'm not particularly attracted by a buckshee NR liveried Bagnall (I think that was the mooted Club freebie) either, though its a better idea than the steam 0-4-0s!

• RMweb Premium

Advert in the latest (March 2019) BRM confirms the 2019 Collectors Club model as the weird Railroad Bagnall Diesel Shunter thing in Network Rail yellow!

Actually, erm I quite like it...

On 1/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, John M Upton said:

Advert in the latest (March 2019) BRM confirms the 2019 Collectors Club model as the weird Railroad Bagnall Diesel Shunter thing in Network Rail yellow!

Actually, erm I quite like it...

The "Bagnall" tooling is getting some use this year.  As well as the club loco, its in the catalogue in a fictitious BR green livery and as part of a possible cola beverage themed set.