New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

One of the things that puts me off is the cheap 0-4-0 that I wouldn’t give house room to.

You can choose not to have the loco when joining. It still costs £28 though and there is no other offering.

Of course not everyone joining is after an H so that means there will be at least 2000 of these 0-4-0s floating around. You could probably use the chassis to upgrade the smokey joe which oddly is also preserved albeit without the Smokey joe writing. Next Hornby sponsored repaint ??

Edited by JSpencer

I can't see what all the fuss is about - the membership is £28 which is peanuts, you get a free loco, which can be given to the grandchildren, and the opportunity to buy a decent loco for about £30 less than non-club members have to pay.

I think the problem is that Hornby promised much more with a revamped collector club.

This was hailed to be more like a certain other subscription from Bachmann which is superior to the latest offering in every way.

This comes from someone who buys considerably more Hornby stock than other brands and really wants to see them prosper.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

I can't see what all the fuss is about - the membership is £28 which is peanuts, you get a free loco, which can be given to the grandchildren, and the opportunity to buy a decent loco for about £30 less than non-club members have to pay.

I think the problem is that Hornby promised much more with a revamped collector club.

This was hailed to be more like a certain other subscription from Bachmann which is superior to the latest offering in every way.

This comes from someone who buys considerably more Hornby stock than other brands and really wants to see them prosper.

Whilst I agree with you on what we were hoping for since the revamped club suggestions were made public, Hornby has been on the brink of collapse several times, so changes had to be made - whether there was any capital savings in these changes it's hard to see.  I too buy considerably more Hornby than Bachmann, but that is only because Hornby have produced what I want and Bachman hasn't.  Being a club member may bring additional benefits during the year - I just hope there is a club to be  a member of next year.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with you on what we were hoping for since the revamped club suggestions were made public, Hornby has been on the brink of collapse several times, so changes had to be made - whether there was any capital savings in these changes it's hard to see. I too buy considerably more Hornby than Bachmann, but that is only because Hornby have produced what I want and Bachman hasn't. Being a club member may bring additional benefits during the year - I just hope there is a club to be a member of next year.

Agreed, let's hope they go forward in a positive manner and recover from past problems.

Hopefully, finances permitting,the collector s club will evolve and flourish.

At the end of the day, the hobby would be lot poorer without the Hornby brand!

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

I think Bachmann and Hornbys clubs are now comparable.

Bachmann you get a wagon, which is invariably “just another” in the siding, for want of effort to sell it on, Hornbys you get an 0-4-0 which will be off loaded for about the same value as the wagon.

I just used last years £15 voucher to buy a coach I don’t really want, save wasting the voucher, as everything else I bought last year from retailers, which was cheaper by more than the £15 off +10% !!! On RRP. (You can’t use the voucher on pre-orders).

Why bother...

At the end of the day, a cheap loco or wagon costs them far less than it’s percieved value to us, and if it’s the difference between someone paying £26 to join as they get a c£5 cost loco included that might get a tenner on ebay then it’s worthwhile.

Edited by adb968008

Whilst I agree with you on what we were hoping for since the revamped club suggestions were made public, Hornby has been on the brink of collapse several times, so changes had to be made -

If the offer doesn't entice membership people won't join.

Never joined the Bachmann club, there are enough of the Club models floating around on Ebay once they have come out that any I want (Birch Grove and the red Ivatt 2-6-0) have been acquired for less than the cost of joining the club and buying the models - its just a case of waiting for those who must have one at any cost to get one and then one can be found at a sensible price. Joined this version of the Hornby Club because of the Preserved version of the H and the one H per member limit I suspect will seriously limit the number appearing on Ebay such that any that do will no doubt sell for crazy prices.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Never joined the Bachmann club, there are enough of the Club models floating around on Ebay once they have come out that any I want (Birch Grove and the red Ivatt 2-6-0) have been acquired for less than the cost of joining the club and buying the models - its just a case of waiting for those who must have one at any cost to get one and then one can be found at a sensible price. Joined this version of the Hornby Club because of the Preserved version of the H and the one H per member limit I suspect will seriously limit the number appearing on Ebay such that any that do will no doubt sell for crazy prices.

Well Birch Grove was limited to one per member as well. This loco did appear in the main range though, under its SR disguise which may have satisfied a good part of the market. Likewise Birch Grove is something of a hybrid livery, mixing earlier LBSCR naming with later LBSCR colours and works only in a purely preserved sense.

The first run of H class is purely SECR days. 263 H club special is as preserved, but here the differences are minor vis-a-vis SECR days, only a keen eye would spot them. Now the first run may have satisfied many people just wanting a H in SECR colours (I actually brought 2, one to stay as is, the other to be tarted up and possibly renumbered), there are still several floating on ebay, and they may drop in price now that 263 can be brought. For sure any not sold through the club will gladly be sold by retailers whom doubtlessly are foaming at the mouth by not having a chance to offer this to their customers. But I am trying the club way first - just in case (and I did that for Birch Grove, the grey SECR C class, the WD tankers - all of which did appear later in other places at reasonable prices. I did not do it for the KESR Sutton terrier which I easily obtained).

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a good few weeks since I joined the club (February 24th). Apart from the acknowledgement e-mail, there has been no parcel yet with the membership card etc etc. Do they send these right away or with the first magazine?

It has been a good few weeks since I joined the club (February 24th). Apart from the acknowledgement e-mail, there has been no parcel yet with the membership card etc etc. Do they send these right away or with the first magazine?

I emailed Hornby regarding delivery of Membership Pack as I hadn't heard anything and this was the reply....

"Dear Mr Tindall

Thank you for your email.

We have received your application, please allow 28 days for your membership information to arrive.

Kind Regards,
Tanya Garrett"

So another 2 weeks to wait it would seem

Had a welcome letter and Membership card arrive today.  Letter gives details of when the magazine is published. Also that the collectors club loco will arrive in September but possibly sooner. To be honet i'm nmore bothered about the H class. 

• RMweb Gold

I don’t do those types of drugs.

Oh, I don't know. With a bit of judicious filing you can turn the Hornby Holden tank into a decent little engine.

Rotten photo, but you get the gist.

post-402-0-55383000-1521307779_thumb.jpg

Edited by papagolfjuliet

Got my letter today - noted that it references an annual loco and access to obtain exclusive club models. So is that to be taken there will be more than the H before the year of the club membership expires, a retooled K1 to correctly portray 62005 would be nice.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the Hornby website the collectors model,  the H class  will now arrive in January as opposed to October  :O

Confirmed also in the latest magazine which also has the 0-4-0 delayed until Jan - whats the odds on  a further delay so the H only gets sent to those who renew their membership :nono:

If you ordered the club model while a member of the club, then they should honour your order, even if Hornby lets the timings slip through their fingers. You should at least get the 0-4-0* as its "sent to all newly enrolled members" even if your subscription lapses...

But at least "The Collector" also had the club  lapel badge enclosed with it!

* Hollow laugh.....

• RMweb Gold

Confirmed also in the latest magazine which also has the 0-4-0 delayed until Jan - whats the odds on a further delay so the H only gets sent to those who renew their membership :nono:

I wonder if those who renew in 2019 will receive 2x 0-4-0’s (one for 2018 & one for 2019) at the same time ?

A discount voucher was a much better idea, at least it’s spent on something in stock on their website, which they make full markup on and helps their bottom line. Rather than an 0-4-0T that actually costs them money.

I decided to pass on renewing this year, an 0-4-0 is use nor ornament to me, no discount or voucher meant no use to me and I had no faith in the H being delivered in2018... I guess I lucked out on that one.

So 1500 H class limited editions, max 1 per person, and it’s still available.. so the club either has less than 1500 members, or a proportion who actually want the 101 0-4-0T and not the H.

Edited by adb968008

From the Summer 2018 (Issue 116) 'The Collector' Magazine...

Both the 'Club Exclusive' H Class and the Club 2018 GWR 101 Loco 'will now be arriving in January 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.'

A very prototypical 'late running' announcement.

Our local station announcer couldn't have done it better! smiley-wink.gif