R3289 Network Rail Class 37 TTS

ruggedpeak

Has anyone attempted to plonk a Vitrains 37 body on the new TTS chassis?

I acquired some spare bodies a few years ago and remember difficulties in trying to 'shoehorn' them onto the old Lima plastic chassis, which distorted and reduced bogie play.

John

Don't know about that but I am just about to try the Hornby R3289 body and TTS decoder/speaker setup in the ViTrains chassis! Just picked both items up from my local shop today - his last V0001L I think. It does include the light bars necessary (with a bit of drilling) to connect up the ViTrains chassis lighting to the Lima/Hornby body, which has pleasantly surprised me!

Not sure how much fettling of lugs etc will be required for this - will report back! I'm just wondering how much Hornby changed the body moulding from the original Lima tooling - as the ViTrains chassis is obviously designed for the Lima body, not the Hornby one. 

Interestingly (or not, depending on your viewpoint!) the ViTrains Chassis on its own (no packaging) is 133g heavier than the Hornby complete loco including all packaging and paperwork! The difference was so noticeable I just had to get the scales out and weigh them both!

post-7266-0-92588800-1423246847_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The Hornby TTS Decoder has been installed into my Vitrains EWS class 37.

As the decoder is already programmed to work with a five pole motor the operation is fine....That's if there's a five pole in the vitrains,if not, and there's a 3-pole,then that's a lucky coincidence.

An in-cased 4 ohm speaker enhances the sound dramatically, better than the un-cased Hornby 8 ohm but you need to keep the sound cv's at a low level.

If you don't mind removing the rear cab detail,the 28mm speaker sits very nicely on top of the rear drive block,with a little double sided tape, and the seaker will traverse with the turning of the bogey, after you have cut off the speaker retaining lugs.

The only problem I found was with the diractional lighting....the flashing light gremlins were back and for some reason, the lighting was in reverse.

So first, in Hornby's Cv guide it says that you can reverse the polarity. No matter what values I put into the setting, I could not get the Decoder to reverse it's polarity....maybe I'm doing something wrong and I'd appreciate help here.

Anyhow, there is a solution to the flashing lights, and that's if you change the speed value to 128...mentioned in an earlier post by another member.....this worked for me.  However I have a Guagemaster prodigy and you can take forever turning that control nob or pressing the speed button and I'm used to 28 speed steps anyways.

I found that changing CV29 to 1 solved the flashing light problem and she still ran on 28 speed steps. Eventually I decided to simply solder the vitrains lighting circuit in reverse at each end of the chassis.

Now, unfortunately the Banana is noiseless and is looking at me very sorry for itself....the trouble is. this damned colour scheme is beginning to grow on me, so I may sell back my de-chipped 37 as a part exchange for a new TTS banana.

Cheers!

Now, unfortunately the Banana is noiseless and is looking at me very sorry for itself....the trouble is. this damned colour scheme is beginning to grow on me, so I may sell back my de-chipped 37 as a part exchange for a new TTS banana.

The livery is not too bad, though it will be out of place on my "early-60s" themed layout.  Perhaps I could re-logo it and put it on the Fyffes Banana Train?

The real thing that gets me is that sad bit of grey continuing down the windscreen pillars and half-way across the bonnet.  I was watching Top of the Pops on BBC 4 the other day and now it reminds me of Adam Ants eye makeup...

Its going to end up green, with a SYP. Not too much YELLOW.

The livery is not too bad, though it will be out of place on my "early-60s" themed layout.  Perhaps I could re-logo it and put it on the Fyffes Banana Train?

The real thing that gets me is that sad bit of grey continuing down the windscreen pillars and half-way across the bonnet.  I was watching Top of the Pops on BBC 4 the other day and now it reminds me of Adam Ants eye makeup...

Its going to end up green, with a SYP. Not too much YELLOW.

For me, SYP is way too much yellow already. Lol

Paul

HI all

Having purchased 97301 I fitted lights to the loco and I have a question

hope it has not been asked before

What ref number is the decoder manufacture  and type number as I wish to

dim the white front light I have fitted orange lining and electrification flashes fitted

makes a difference

in my opinion well done Hornby for bringing acceptable sound at a good price

David Wexford

Has anyone received one from Hattons yet, I have a preorder with them but they do not seem to have had any delivered to them?

Mark

I only placed my pre-order for the Banana with Hattons on 14th Jan, so I wasn't expecting anything from their first batch.  I got an update on 3rd Feb suggesting that I might be lucky and get it between February and March 2015.  Now as we all know, 29th of Feb lies between Feb and March and doesn't exist this year, so I'm not holding my breath just yet!

I DID get my TTS Class 40 at the beginning of this month.  Mind you, that had been pre-ordered at the end of June 2014...

HI all

Having purchased 97301 I fitted lights to the loco and I have a question

hope it has not been asked before

What ref number is the decoder manufacture  and type number as I wish to

dim the white front light 

David Wexford

Don't think the Hornby TTS sound decoder has the facility to "dim" the lighting outputs using CV's.  If not just use a higher value resistor in the feed wire to dim down the white lights.

• RMweb Gold

I am now the owner of both TTS locos having ordered the 37 on Wednesday evening from Rails of Sheffield for £74.95 plus £4 postage.

Got to hand it to Hornby both are worth buying for the sound alone.  Might now have to buy the Class 47 when it arrives! 

Gonna leave it a couple of months, then I think they may need a trip to the paint shop to reappear in blue livery.

Hi Everyone

Got my class37 TTS this morning and I think Hornby have done a great Job with this model ok it's railroad but you can work with that and the sound is great had it running on my layout all morning.

and it only cost me £80.00 so It's a bargain going to change the body to Blue era and fit directional lighting and will be really chuffed.

WELL DONE Hornby

Regards

mcrook62

• 3 weeks later...

Have to hand it to Hattons, they said that the loco was being sent on Friday; it arrived this morning!

One thing I have noticed when testing it, it seems a lot quieter out of the box than the Banana I got from another supplier a month ago!  I've not been able to peer at the CVs as I only tested it using a basic Bachmann controller.  Other than that, it seems fine - I'm going to enjoy double-heading the two of them!

Interesting thing, Hattons had 9 of them in general stock after I got my email announcing that they were of this world yesterday.  This morning, all sold out.  Looks like the popularity of at least the TTS chip is unabated.  I'll have to keep an eye on eripoff - see how many dechipped Bananas turn up there!

• RMweb Premium

I was exhibiting at the Leamington and Warwick show at the weekend, got home Saturday evening to find mine delivered from Hattons (great service as usual). So took it up to the Exhibition on Sunday and ran it on my China Clay layout, completely out of era but it sounded very good and alongside my other 37 which has a Legomanbiffo sound file on board the Hornby loco compared quite favourably. OK its not to the same high quality as the Legoman chip, however, as an introduction to DCC it is superb and to be honest held its own very well and will entice a lot of people into DCC sound. It was a great hit with the young children who saw it on my layout, with its growling sound (not overly loud), colour and horns it was a clear winner with the youngsters.

Now the more serious bit. i would like to put directional lighting in which i have never tried before, could anyone recommend a supplier of lighting bits, or even lighting kits please, bearing in mind I will probably repaint it into 1970s guise. Thanks

• Like 2

I was exhibiting at the Leamington and Warwick show at the weekend, got home Saturday evening to find mine delivered from Hattons (great service as usual). So took it up to the Exhibition on Sunday and ran it on my China Clay layout, completely out of era but it sounded very good and alongside my other 37 which has a Legomanbiffo sound file on board the Hornby loco compared quite favourably. OK its not to the same high quality as the Legoman chip, however, as an introduction to DCC it is superb and to be honest held its own very well and will entice a lot of people into DCC sound. It was a great hit with the young children who saw it on my layout, with its growling sound (not overly loud), colour and horns it was a clear winner with the youngsters.

Now the more serious bit. i would like to put directional lighting in which i have never tried before, could anyone recommend a supplier of lighting bits, or even lighting kits please, bearing in mind I will probably repaint it into 1970s guise. Thanks

I think I saw your 97 lurking in the shed at Leamington yesterday!

Express Models do a lighting kit for Hornby class 37's or you could pick up a few LED's & resistors for a few quid and have a go yourself - I'm going down this route when I get an hour or so to do any modelling....

Cheers

Sam

I used the Express Models kit - no problems, except early TTS decoders had the directional lighting back to front so I had to switch the white and yellow wires to correct this. So check yours as you go.

Obviously as the TTS 8-pin DCC socket only has the 2 x motor and 2 x track wires connected you have to connect up the 4 x lighting feeds to it (1 x common positive, 2 x directional lighting and 1 x aux function, which I used for cab lights).

The wiring logic is diagrammed in the TTS 'manual' and the Express kit has full instructions.

You can do it yourself for peanuts if you are handy working with small leds and bits of veroboard.  

I used the Express Models kit - no problems, except early TTS decoders had the directional lighting back to front so I had to switch the white and yellow wires to correct this. So check yours as you go.

Obviously as the TTS 8-pin DCC socket only has the 2 x motor and 2 x track wires connected you have to connect up the 4 x lighting feeds to it (1 x common positive, 2 x directional lighting and 1 x aux function, which I used for cab lights).

The wiring logic is diagrammed in the TTS 'manual' and the Express kit has full instructions.

You can do it yourself for peanuts if you are handy working with small leds and bits of veroboard.  

It'a interesting to note you fitted an Express Kit and got it work with no problems ! But I'd expect it to work using a Hornby DCC system etc, but others appear to have problems using other systems especially NCE  also interesting that Hornby may have changed the decoder lighting settings on later issues of this model ?  I did not have to change over the white/yellow wires on my example, but the lights would only work properly if 128SS were used, with 28 SS the lights flashed on/off with a delay using a Lenz 100.

Edited by tractor_37260