Southern Maunsell Coaching Stock discussion

2ManySpams

R4842 is numbered as S5145S, the low window composite in set 399 (the brake thirds were S3232S & S3233S).

Normally the Southern adhered to strict rules as to which way round the composite was marshalled between the two brake thirds but the composites for these 10 set (390-399) were built and released into traffic ahead of the brake thirds and were randomly allocated when the sets were formed. To get a set absolutely right, one would need a photo which showed the number of one of the brakes and which showed the composite sufficiently clearly to be certain which way round it was.

Normally the Southern adhered to strict rules as to which way round the composite was marshalled between the two brake thirds but the composites for these 10 set (390-399) were built and released into traffic ahead of the brake thirds and were randomly allocated when the sets were formed. To get a set absolutely right, one would need a photo which showed the number of one of the brakes and which showed the composite sufficiently clearly to be certain which way round it was.

My records show that all these sets had the CK formed in the required manner, the first-class end next to the first-listed 4-compartment BTK in the table below.

Set     BTK     CK        BTK 

390    3214    5138    3215

391    3216    5139    3217

392    3218    5141    3219

393    3220    5137    3221

394    3222    5143    3223

395    3224    5146    3225

396    3228    5140    3229

397    3226    5142    3231

398    3230    5144    3227

399    3232    5145    3233                                

The CKs were completed first and then stored until the BTKs were ready for them.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

I stand corrected re. my use of the word "original" in post #174 ("published" might be better), but the models in question will be in BR livery and (AFAIK) no SR equivalents are promised, so how the sets were formed when first put together doesn't really come into it.

Incidentally, I have only just spotted 6-compt. BTK, R4836 (s2763s) + CK, R4839 (s5673s) + 6-compt BTK, R4838 (s2764s) forming high-window 3-Set No.230 plus a new run of Vans B in BR green, in the "forthcoming attractions".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

My records show that all these sets had the CK formed in the required manner, the first-class end next to the first-listed 4-compartment BTK in the table below.

Set     BTK     CK        BTK 

390    3214    5138    3215

391    3216    5139    3217

392    3218    5141    3219

393    3220    5137    3221

394    3222    5143    3223

395    3224    5146    3225

396    3228    5140    3229

397    3226    5142    3231

398    3230    5144    3227

399    3232    5145    3233                                

The CKs were completed first and then stored until the BTKs were ready for them.

So, to create a rule of thumb, it's first class compartments end next to the lower numbered BTK. The exception being set 398...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The ability to read coach numbers - which are by no means large - while operating, is a pre-requisite to this mattering at all.

Agreed. When I was younger my eyesight could do it, but now I'm nearing fifty I'm finding that I can't see stuff the way I used to, and it's only going to get worse :(

• RMweb Gold

The ability to read coach numbers - which are by no means large - while operating, is a pre-requisite to this mattering at all.

Agreed, I just go by the much larger set numbers (having ensured they are formed of the correct vehicle types) and treat the running numbers as correct until I get round to making them so.....

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I have a rather specific query...

I currently possess four Hornby Maunsells, all in Olive, and am looking for an authentic set number for them. Does anyone know of a series of set numbers for the following configurations, if there were any sets of those configurations:

BTK-TK-TK-BTK

BTK-TK-BTK

BTK-BTK

TK-BTK

If not then I'll look at getting an FK or CK to allow an authentic set to be produced. I'd rather the set was no longer than four coaches, however.

• RMweb Premium

Hello all!

I have a rather specific query...

I currently possess four Hornby Maunsells, all in Olive, and am looking for an authentic set number for them. Does anyone know of a series of set numbers for the following configurations, if there were any sets of those configurations:

BTK-TK-TK-BTK

BTK-TK-BTK

BTK-BTK

TK-BTK

If not then I'll look at getting an FK or CK to allow an authentic set to be produced. I'd rather the set was no longer than four coaches, however.

None of these combinations are authentic - all Maunsel sets had some first class accommodation - and unlike todays trains there was a decent amount of it too.

A BTK(4) + CK +BTK(4) combination would have 11 second class compartments and 4 first for example (i.e. nearly one 1st class for every 3rd class ones).

If you want a 4 coach set then BTK(6) + FL + TK + BTK(6) is a valid set configuration so you only need to purchase a FK..... But I believe these 4 coach sets only used the 6 compartment brake coaches, not the 4 compartment varient

However 3 coach sets would be BTK(4) + CK + BTK(4) thus needing a CK (note a BTK + FK +BTK is not a valid set combination)

Purchasing 2 CKs however would give another valid 4 coach formation of BTK(6) + CK + CK + BTK(6) if you have the right variant of brake coach

Two coach sets would be the combination of a BTK(6) and a BCK  (these were made from the 6 compartment brake coaches, not the 4 compartment ones found on the 3 car sets).

Edited by phil-b259

The two BTKs I have are six-compartment ones so I think my best bet would be to get myself an FK. I do have one, but it's in crimson and cream so would probably be best sold to fund an olive one.

• RMweb Gold

The two BTKs I have are six-compartment ones so I think my best bet would be to get myself an FK. I do have one, but it's in crimson and cream so would probably be best sold to fund an olive one.

Having a FK in a 3-set was very rare, though I think there was one, early on, so formed of low-window stock. The usual three-coach combination was BTK+CK+BTK.

4-sets varied and could be BTK+CK+TK+BTK or BTK+FK+TK+BTK. There were even a few formed BTK+CK+CK+BTK.

You should therefore be looking for a CK or a FK+TK. However, if it were me, I'd be looking for a CK+TK, so I could make a set up with 3 or 4 coaches as I fancied. 

John

EDIT: Just noticed you already have a TK and nearly all the above has been covered by Phil259 anyway. Advice re getting a CK rather than an FK holds, though

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, JohnR said:

Before 1958, sets 100-110 were comprised of a Maunsell BCK and a SECR 10 compartment TK. Whats the easiest way to represent the SECR coach? The BCK was a diagram 2401 coach modelled by Hornby.

It isn't an ex-SECR ten compartment TK, it is an ex-SECR ten compartment T, in other words it was (like most SECR carriages) a non-corridor vehicle (with ten separate compartments) seating 100.

The SECR built a large number of these vehicles quite late on with the intention that they would eventually be formed into electric train sets. Ironically, given that a good proportion of SR suburban sets were made up from former steam-hauled carriages (albeit sometimes on new under frames), none of these vehicles did make it into electric sets and were instead used by the SR as their "standard" non-corridor third operating (normally as strengthening vehicles) over the whole network and not just over the former SECR routes; some were even equipped to work with pull & push units.

The lack of a ready-to-run model is perhaps one of the greatest lacks in SR carriage models today. They were distinctiv, albeit simple, vehicles (though some had their lower sides match-boarded) which are near impossible to convincingly convert from something else, although I believe that someone may produce at least the sides as etchings.

• Thanks 1

Mousa model brass sides, 247 Development cast bogies, most of the rest from plasticard. Hardest part was the roof which I eventually made from plasticard over a wood former. I believe you can now get a nice aluminium extrusion from Southern Railway Group now.

DSCF1741.JPG.03dc530c7ba554f461d3b780493b2ea2.JPG

Tony 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, 145 Squadron said:

Mousa model brass sides, 247 Development cast bogies, most of the rest from plasticard. Hardest part was the roof which I eventually made from plasticard over a wood former. I believe you can now get a nice aluminium extrusion from Southern Railway Group now.

DSCF1741.JPG.03dc530c7ba554f461d3b780493b2ea2.JPG

Tony 

" I believe you can now get a nice aluminium extrusion from Southern Railway Group now."

Do you know if that would be from the 'Phoenix' range?

A very nice build there Tony.

John,

Not sure; Chris was selling them on the SRG stand at the Southampton exhibition in Eastleigh recently - I think there are two widths, 8' and 8'6 for £2.50 per roof.

I would suggest you contact him direct for further details. Certainly saves a lot of time and effort as it is a difficult profile to fabricate.

Tony

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 145 Squadron said:

John,

Not sure; Chris was selling them on the SRG stand at the Southampton exhibition in Eastleigh recently - I think there are two widths, 8' and 8'6 for £2.50 per roof.

I would suggest you contact him direct for further details. Certainly saves a lot of time and effort as it is a difficult profile to fabricate.

Tony

I THINK they're LSWR profile rather than SECR .......... probably the extrusion that originated with PC Models then Wheeltapper Coaches ....

• Informative/Useful 1

I'm interested in some clarification on the P-sets which were made up of a BCK and BTK for WoE services. I understand that these were very common on the North Cornwall railway and were the local services.

Would they also be used on the North Devon branch lines towards ilfracombe or were they unique to just the NCR ?

cheers

Pete