Bachmann ex-SR CCT Vans

Lochinvar

10 days later and still no apology! It is a pity I edited this, The anonynmous Penrith Beacon doesn't appear to have seen my original post, insulting my 15 year self .    What was he doing, where was he recording railway for our use?

Don't understand this, don't understand it at all. Firstly I'm by no means anonymous and secondly I really can't see, due to the condition of the vehicle, what the colours are. But, as I said in my post, I'll take your word for it.

Don't understand this, don't understand it at all. Firstly I'm by no means anonymous and secondly I really can't see, due to the condition of the vehicle, what the colours are. But, as I said in my post, I'll take your word for it.

First off apologies I didn't see your name in the footnote, its not on your profile which is where I looked.

I am also really sorry that, at 15 years old, I took a slightly dirty van and also made the mistake of saving pocket money by using Agfa and not Kodachrome. But I think it is reasonably clear it is not a black end - the headstock is different and is a black, so it is green. I have looked again at the photo - which is of course a colour slide of about 50 years old and therefore perhaps not in the original condition and I cannot see why there is any difficulty in seeing it is green. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srpmv/e341aefa

I'm just sorry it appears to have been delayed; I've had enough correspondence with Bachmann - even to confirming the paint dates on the end - to know they plan on doing this model.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

First off apologies I didn't see your name in the footnote, its not on your profile which is where I looked.

I am also really sorry that, at 15 years old, I took a slightly dirty van and also made the mistake of saving pocket money by using Agfa and not Kodachrome. But I think it is reasonably clear it is not a black end - the headstock is different and is a black, so it is green. I have looked again at the photo - which is of course a colour slide of about 50 years old and therefore perhaps not in the original condition and I cannot see why there is any difficulty in seeing it is green. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srpmv/e341aefa

I'm just sorry it appears to have been delayed; I've had enough correspondence with Bachmann - even to confirming the paint dates on the end - to cknow they plan on doing this model.

Paul Bartlett

Looking at your picture, I wouldn't rule out the end being painted black, as opposed to just having acquired a generous helping of sooty grime.

Muck sticks to wood more easily than it does to smoother metal surfaces and it also washes off the latter more readily when rained on, causing it to build up more slowly. The dirt on the bodywork is therefore likely to be older and thicker than any on the headstock, making it even harder to judge what lies underneath.

Either way, the ends of these vans got dirty very quickly in service as the low pressure areas between vehicles naturally pulled it in. Even if the models turn up with the ends  painted black, I'll be attacking mine to create that typical dusty grey/brown look. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Looking at your picture, I wouldn't rule out the end being painted black, as opposed to just having acquired a generous helping of sooty grime.

Muck sticks to wood more easily than it does to smoother metal surfaces and it also washes off the latter more readily when rained on, causing it to build up more slowly. The dirt on the bodywork is therefore likely to be older and thicker than any on the headstock, making it even harder to judge what lies underneath.

Either way, the ends of these vans got dirty very quickly in service as the low pressure areas between vehicles naturally pulled it in. Even if the models turn up with the ends  painted black, I'll be attacking mine to create that typical dusty grey/brown look. 

John

Grief I just do not understand what others are seeing in this picture. The side illustration is very clearly green and in the end view there is sufficient of the side to show it is the same colour as the end, yes it is dirty, yes it is Agfa slide film and yes the headstock is clearly a different colour, black.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Look, Paul is the Geru when it comes to wagons. FGS accept his advice and leave the speculation. 

No connection to Paul other than a very happy customer of his brilliant work and an admirer of his damn fine knowledge.

Phil @ 36E

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Grief I just do not understand what others are seeing in this picture. The side illustration is very clearly green and in the end view there is sufficient of the side to show it is the same colour as the end, yes it is dirty, yes it is Agfa slide film and yes the headstock is clearly a different colour, black.

Paul

Sorry, you have the original but at the size the photo comes up on my screen, I wouldn't bet money on what colour the ends were.

John

Sorry, you have the original but at the size the photo comes up on my screen, I wouldn't bet money on what colour the ends were.

John

Have you looked in "Slideshow" this is the largest way that an image can display - an alternative is to use zoom. It is a reasonably good quality scan

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Have you looked in "Slideshow" this is the largest way that an image can display - an alternative is to use zoom. It is a reasonably good quality scan

Paul

Thanks, I see what you mean. The green does (just) show through but wouldn't if it were any dirtier.

I find the side view even more interesting. In particular, it is striking how much dirtier the areas outboard of the doors look compared with the rest of it.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit it is difficult but on my monitor there is a definate green to the van end, maybe some people's monitors aren't showing it quite as well.

Dave Franks.

Considerably more clearly green on my screen once I'd turned off the room lighting (fluorescent).

John

Indeed; and why I have a sneaking suspicion that the next batch of releases of these will be weathered versions.

...with patches cleaned enough to show the important bits of the lettering, and chalk markings all over with mis-spelled place names like Lester and Gloster.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

... chalk markings all over with mis-spelled place names like Lester and Gloster.

Not forgetting the ubiquitous B/ARMS

Nice van.  Waiting patiently here.

• RMweb Gold

...with patches cleaned enough to show the important bits of the lettering, and chalk markings all over with mis-spelled place names like Lester and Gloster.

Not forgetting the ubiquitous B/ARMS.

It was indeed a supervisor at B Arms who talked of a wagon destination as "Crewe Gresta" - Crewe Gresty Lane!