Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

And I can confirm that after my one and only pub crawl (drinking said cider) while I was waiting on Partick station for the train home the signal went:

2 reds

2 yellows

4 yellows

2 greens.

x-)

Paul.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And I can confirm that after my one and only pub crawl (drinking said cider) while I was waiting on Partick station for the train home the signal went:

2 reds

2 yellows

4 yellows

2 greens.

x-)

Paul.

It's when you see all of those at once that you know you've been drinking proper cider...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Scrumpy from Hereford.  Proper rough cider that.  And utterly lethal!

Yup, any Cider that comes out of a Pump thingy, Bottle or Tin, is shite compared to proper job Barrell with Tap. 

Cloudy, smells of Cats' hedges and tasting somewhat of old Leather Boots stuff.  Anyone drinking that regularly will become addicted and eventually suffer from Vascular Dementia. I haven't had decent stuff like that for decades. Sad.

P

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup, any Cider that comes out of a Pump thingy, Bottle or Tin, is shite compared to proper job Barrell with Tap. 

Cloudy, smells of Cats' hedges and tasting somewhat of old Leather Boots stuff.  Anyone drinking that regularly will become addicted and eventually suffer from Vascular Dementia. I haven't had decent stuff like that for decades. Sad.

P

The kind of stuff that, if the landlord doesn't know you, he'll only sell you by the half - and it's not labelled with it's strength, becuase no-one's bothered to measure it. 

Used to be a pub in Southampton that sold scrumpy out of a plastic barrel on the bar - the same place had labels rebranding some of the well-known lagers, such as "finest Australian cat's piss"

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Nick C said:

The kind of stuff that, if the landlord doesn't know you, he'll only sell you by the half - and it's not labelled with it's strength, becuase no-one's bothered to measure it. 

Used to be a pub in Southampton that sold scrumpy out of a plastic barrel on the bar - the same place had labels rebranding some of the well-known lagers, such as "finest Australian cat's piss"

Just over the Footbridge over the Goods Yard at Devonport Kings Road, and 200 yards from my old School, was The Waterloo. It was a real old Spit and Sawdust sort of place. 10d a Pint Scrumpy; 11d a Pint 'Heavy'. NEVER mix the two...ever! (1966). The most I ever had in there was just 6 Pints of Scrumps. I thought the 3.5 mile walk home would  be fine and I wouldn't feel bad! I can't remember the walk, but it did happen. It's the only time I've actually been conscious enough to experience the spinning Room syndrome, however I was not 'ill' and next morning I was absolutely fine. 60 years later the affects are not obvious, probably because after the usual Student Stupidity and occasional Adult over indulgence, I've never really drunk large quantities of Beer (can't because of Barley in it) or Cider (can't get/find decent Cider in the east Midlands) at all.  

I do envy those that can drink such lovely Real Ales. Enjoy.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Just over the Footbridge over the Goods Yard at Devonport Kings Road, and 200 yards from my old School, was The Waterloo. It was a real old Spit and Sawdust sort of place. 10d a Pint Scrumpy; 11d a Pint 'Heavy'. NEVER mix the two...ever! (1966). The most I ever had in there was just 6 Pints of Scrumps. I thought the 3.5 mile walk home would  be fine and I wouldn't feel bad! I can't remember the walk, but it did happen. It's the only time I've actually been conscious enough to experience the spinning Room syndrome, however I was not 'ill' and next morning I was absolutely fine. 60 years later the affects are not obvious, probably because after the usual Student Stupidity and occasional Adult over indulgence, I've never really drunk large quantities of Beer (can't because of Barley in it) or Cider (can't get/find decent Cider in the east Midlands) at all.  

I do envy those that can drink such lovely Real Ales. Enjoy.

Phil

Stop going on about cider, haven't you seen there is going to be a new pannier tank, time to get excited.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nick C said:

Way, way back in the day when I were but a nipper, Dad frequented The Blacksmiths Arms at the bottom of Shirley (Southampton not Birmingham). There was a chap who everybody knew as 'Cider Sid'. Even at my tender age I could tell he was well pickled - and that was before he went in the pub! His face was the colour of an LMS Duchess and his complexion like the surface of the moon. Occasionally I understood the odd word he spoke. I found him quite scary!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My Sussex sojourn ended yesterday and, following an uneventful trip by South Eastern 375 (again), Bakerloo Line 72 stock, Chiltern 168 and West Midlands 323, I'm now at my cousin's home on the fringes of the Black Country.

We went to his local MG Owners' Club meeting last night, where I attempted to stir the pot by revealing that I used to be a member of the MG Car Club (think People's Front of Judea and Judean Peoples' Front). Regrettably the venue only had fizzy beer, so I settled for a pint of John Smith's Smooth, which I reckon was the least worst option.

I also learned that the entrance and exit to and from an MGB is more challenging than it was 40 years ago...

Splitters!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Way, way back in the day when I were but a nipper, Dad frequented The Blacksmiths Arms at the bottom of Shirley (Southampton not Birmingham). There was a chap who everybody knew as 'Cider Sid'. Even at my tender age I could tell he was well pickled - and that was before he went in the pub! His face was the colour of an LMS Duchess and his complexion like the surface of the moon. Occasionally I understood the odd word he spoke. I found him quite scary!

Blacksmith's is long gone, I'm afraid - and looking on https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/, as are quite a few I remember from my student days (which weren't that long ago - early 2000s!) - including the delightfully named pair "The Honest Lawyer" and "The Bent Brief" - which were on the same road, one junction apart... The tiny one-room "Guide Dog" is still there though.

I was referring earlier to the "South Western Arms" by St Denys station, I suspect it's changed a lot since then though!

5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

...or Cider (can't get/find decent Cider in the east Midlands) at all.  

If you're happy with bottled stuff, there's several now do mail order.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Blacksmith's is long gone, I'm afraid - and looking on https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/, as are quite a few I remember from my student days (which weren't that long ago - early 2000s!) - including the delightfully named pair "The Honest Lawyer" and "The Bent Brief" - which were on the same road, one junction apart... The tiny one-room "Guide Dog" is still there though.

I was referring earlier to the "South Western Arms" by St Denys station, I suspect it's changed a lot since then though!

If you're happy with bottled stuff, there's several now do mail order.

Years ago on a cold Friday night, I I entered The Windmill pub  alongside the Common in Mitcham . I ordered 2 whiskys . “ Don’t sell spirits here , Sir, got a beer and wine licence only “. I was astonished as I’d never encountered this before and ordered 2 pints instead . I was with a mate .

More recently, I’ve been back and was pleased that they now sell spirits .

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi John,

Come Home!

We're missing some real railway stuff on here, you've gone and unleashed a maelstrom of pent up beer-talk and much else on your travels. 😈

PS glad to see all going well despite best efforts of ASLEF / weather etc. in Blighty.

Tomorrow is the half-way mark of my trip...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Stop going on about cider, haven't you seen there is going to be a new pannier tank, time to get excited.

57xx, not to be confused with the Rattler that comes in pints…

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Chamby said:

57xx, not to be confused with the Rattler that comes in pints…

Just recently, #1 Daughter flew a mercy mission to Cornwall (via Healeys) and brought home 2x12 cases.

Most welcome.

Otherwise we're reduced to it appearing occasionally as a guest in the local supermarket.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I really enjoyed speaking with Barry and yourself, thank you for a very interesting conversation, not least the reason for your moniker. Please have a safe journey when you return to Australia. The layouts you recommended I inspect, in the Hall, were indeed top notch. 

best wishes Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1