Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Which is wonderful if you are comfortable with it. I am not. I got an Alexa free with my new BT cable deal but gave it away as a gift to my daughter who can use it.

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...while she monitors your every move. Big Sister is watching you...

I’m sure that Martin’s Daughter’s every move will interest Big Sister much more than a boring old fart like me!

Edited by Chamby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My various Apple appliances seem to have something called Siri, which seems rather like Alexa. I do my best to delete the thing. Despite living alone much of the time, the idea of talking to a computer is simply not me. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Wagon sorting software..great if you have 10 wagons ..at last count I seem to have over 500 of the little darlings....

As for siri, Alexa etc all, as enodoc has said listen to you. This helps the companies involved to focus adverts specifically about what you talk about..of course they say they don't do it...but......

Baz

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

Wagon sorting software..great if you have 10 wagons ..at last count I seem to have over 500 of the little darlings....

As for siri, Alexa etc all, as enodoc has said listen to you. This helps the companies involved to focus adverts specifically about what you talk about..of course they say they don't do it...but......

Baz

Just keep talking about George Orwell and 1984... y'know, with the big screens, the cameras watching you and the listening devices - good job that never happened, eh ?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of countries make jaywalking more of a crime than it is considered to be in the UK. I regard it as a basic human right to cross the road where and when I consider it safe. Policemen in more than one Western European country have indicated that they do not agree.  

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Plenty of countries make jaywalking more of a crime than it is considered to be in the UK. I regard it as a basic human right to cross the road where and when I consider it safe. Policemen in more than one Western European country have indicated that they do not agree.  

Same down here. $78 for crossing at a traffic light if it isn't green. Pay on the spot or risk three times that if you lose in court.

Once at a safety indoctrination management session we were discussing when was the safest time to cross the road. The expected answer, of course, was "when the light is green". My answer was "when there is no traffic coming".

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

What better way to celebrate St Piran's Day than with a pasty and a pint of Proper Job? Well, decent pasties are like rocking horse (or 'obby 'oss?) droppings round here and the beer was still in transit from Singapore, the ship having left late according to the landlord, so it wasn't to be. I settled for grilled salmon and a glass of Mornington Peninsula pinot grigio instead.

Forestville went extremely well. There were plenty of folk, including a number from this parish, willing and able to demonstrate so I spent most of the weekend operating Charles's excellent Uley Junction layout. It's 0 gauge, based on Bodmin General, but with some differences in the track plan, and linked to an ingenious fiddle yard fed by a train turntable. With servo-operated signals, including working route indicators, it really is a joy to work - although interlocking might be handy from time to time...

Consequently all I managed to achieve was to glue down the timbers for five points but I didn't get as far as cutting and soldering any rail.

One more weekend before our next running session. I won't finish changing out all the point motors by then but I should get a few more done.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/03/2019 at 10:26, Oldddudders said:

You should try doing it in Denmark- other pedestrians will tell you off for it, in the absence of a police officer.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What better way to celebrate St Piran's Day than with a pasty and a pint of Proper Job? Well, decent pasties are like rocking horse (or 'obby 'oss?) droppings round here and the beer was still in transit from Singapore, the ship having left late according to the landlord, so it wasn't to be. I settled for grilled salmon and a glass of Mornington Peninsula pinot grigio instead. 

Good old St P gets a mention here and in Brent!  Trouble is, most have never heard of the old buccer so soon he will be forgotten and his church buried forever in the sand!:o

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How to cross the road in India...Stick hand out to one side and walk..the drivers seem to realise you are there and drive around you.  Trust me, recent experience of the Indian road system had my head spinning... 

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Good old St P gets a mention here and in Brent!  Trouble is, most have never heard of the old buccer so soon he will be forgotten and his church buried forever in the sand!:o

Brian.

It’s Shrove Tuesday in the UK so St P was celebrated in our house in North Wales with home made Cornish pasties and pancakes with Cornish ice cream. I now feel quite full!

I have an old work colleague who hailed from Bude. Now exiled in Aldershot he runs up the Cornish flag every 5th March.

Weirdly we were taught ‘Trelawny’ at primary school in Hampshire. I have no idea why but having been on holiday to Cornwall I loved it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

It’s Shrove Tuesday in the UK so St P was celebrated in our house in North Wales with home made Cornish pasties and pancakes with Cornish ice cream. I now feel quite full!

I have an old work colleague who hailed from Bude. Now exiled in Aldershot he runs up the Cornish flag every 5th March.

Weirdly we were taught ‘Trelawny’ at primary school in Hampshire. I have no idea why but having been on holiday to Cornwall I loved it!

We learned Trelawny at primary school in North London too. I don't know why either, other than it's a good tune and easy for young children to pick up.

Some of the words were a bit obscure for seven-year-olds though - none of us had a clue what a "merry wight" was - but even at that age our elementary knowledge of geography meant that we understood why "The Severn is no stay" if you're marching from Cornwall to London!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brianusa said:

St Piran, the Patron Saint of Railway Modellers.:)

Brian.

Have a look at this thread, Brian, and form your own view (it's from your side of the pond too!).

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/p/164462/1809811.aspx

Me, I reckon it's St Pancras...

Edit: or St Ephenson:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111787-patront-saint-of-railways/&do=findComment&comment=2327213

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Or the other end of the journey?

St Enoch.

Paul.

Wasn't he the Scottish patron saint of Scottish railways?

He is now a shopping centre. Not sure which is worst, a shopping centre or going all international as St P has done.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Have a look at this thread, Brian, and form your own view (it's from your side of the pond too!).

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/p/164462/1809811.asp

The locals are more religious than me, with all that implies.

The Pacific pond is bigger than the other one but if you stand on top of the Seattle Space Needle on a clear day, you can see Australia!:biggrin_mini2:

Brian 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

The locals are more religious than me, with all that implies.

The Pacific pond is bigger than the other one but if you stand on top of the Seattle Space Needle on a clear day, you can see Australia!:biggrin_mini2:

Brian 

Yeah, right.

Other ponds are available. Down here we have the Ditch (or, as our trans-Tasman neighbours say, the Dtch).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s been a busy day in Snozzle bay today, the Royal Marines were invading Pentewan in their landing craft!  Fascinating, watching the mother ship sink it’s rear end so the landing craft could float out.

Now that would add something different to the mid Cornwall lines...

• Informative/Useful 1