Class 800 - Updates

They don't seem to want to do change overs on the move at the moment, so lots are happening at Reading.

Given the level of 387 traffic, and power problems between there and Didcot would impact local services, too.

Hi,

Change-overs are being carried stationary at Reading (although I haven seen units pass Tilehurst with their pans up)

I have been in contact with those in the know over the past few weeks as to why my APCO site isn’t being used, and whilst I can say it isn’t power issues, at this time I can say what the issue is (mainly because as far as I’m aware it is not public knowledge)

Simon

I imagine that a train stopping at Didcot could keep the pan up until there if the idea of a moving change is too scary at the moment.

Afraid not, both Pan Up and Pan Down change-overs are being instructed to happen at Reading. The 800s are currently running on Diesel between Reading and Didcot.

The concept of changing over at line speed is not the problem and is being actively encouraged by both GWR and VTEC (once all issues are sorted out).

Simon

Hi,

Change-overs are being carried stationary at Reading (although I haven seen units pass Tilehurst with their pans up)

I have been in contact with those in the know over the past few weeks as to why my APCO site isn’t being used, and whilst I can say it isn’t power issues, at this time I can say what the issue is (mainly because as far as I’m aware it is not public knowledge)

Simon

Axle counter issue at Cholsey station meaning all down sHitachis must run on diesel between Reading and Didcot, up line not affected.

item appeared on late notices from 21:34 on 12/03/18.

• RMweb Premium

Axle counter issue at Cholsey station meaning all down sHitachis must run on diesel between Reading and Didcot, up line not affected.

Just to add to that: Up trains are to raise their pans at the changeover point at Moreton Cutting unless they are booked a stop at Didcot when they are authorised to raise the pan during the station stop.

Just to add to that: Up trains are to raise their pans at the changeover point at Moreton Cutting unless they are booked a stop at Didcot when they are authorised to raise the pan during the station stop.

Hi,

No, that instruction has been changed to stationary at Reading (or at least that what I was told last week).

There are also some other issues as well.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

The problem at Cholsey, is it a single axle counter or a group of axle counters?  If the axlecounter units are functioning with diesel trains but not electric trains., is it the case that  the returning traction current in the running rail is leaking into the signal system  via the axle counters and not the proper path,  the  "Red Bonds".

The problem at Cholsey, is it a single axle counter or a group of axle counters?  If the axlecounter units are functioning with diesel trains but not electric trains., is it the case that  the returning traction current in the running rail is leaking into the signal system  via the axle counters and not the proper path,  the  "Red Bonds".

The issue is still being investigated.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Afraid not, both Pan Up and Pan Down change-overs are being instructed to happen at Reading. The 800s are currently running on Diesel between Reading and Didcot.

The concept of changing over at line speed is not the problem and is being actively encouraged by both GWR and VTEC (once all issues are sorted out).

Simon

Interesting in that on Thursday I saw two 800 worked Up trains with pans up west of Reading (not by very much as one was at Tilehurst East Junction and the other was going over the flyover) so that ties up with what Royal Oak posted.

PS as these trains were supposedly tested on electric power between Reading and Didcot over a year ago this business with ground equipment doesn't seem to d say much for the thoroughness of the test programme.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Interesting in that on Thursday I saw two 800 worked Up trains with pans up west of Reading (not by very much as one was at Tilehurst East Junction and the other was going over the flyover) so that ties up with what Royal Oak posted.

PS as these trains were supposedly tested on electric power between Reading and Didcot over a year ago this business with ground equipment doesn't seem to d say much for the thoroughness of the test programme.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have seen some Down Trains with their Pans up at Tilehurst, but no Up Trains yet (of course, I don't see that much of them!), but the vast majority of units are changing over at Reading.

I'll clarify all of this in that I was told by NR Ops last week that the instruction was all change-overs were to happen at Reading, however, the status of the APCO site is changing constantly, so by Thursday it might have all changed again. Royaloak and Banger Blue are probably correct, as they are closer to the operational railway.

Simon

No idea, we just get it on our late notices even though we dont sign sHitachi trains yet.

Royaloak and Banger Blue are probably correct, as they are closer to the operational railway.

Simon

As you say it is changing all the time, I posted from yesterdays late notices so it will be interesting to see what todays say about it.

• RMweb Premium

As you say it is changing all the time, I posted from yesterdays late notices so it will be interesting to see what todays say about it.

Exactly the same. Up trains unaffected.

As it happens, this afternoon I saw 1A16 on the Up Main (800013 & 800032) with pans up as they came over the viaduct. At the same time on the Down Main was 1B35 (800021 & 800026), both were pans down.

Strange that this axle counter issue doesn't involve Class 387 EMUs; Is it the act of raising/lowering the pantograph and starting/ceasing to draw power that causes the problem, rather than electric operation itself ?

• RMweb Premium

There’s a rumour that they are having problems on the East Coast with their Jap junks as well, something to do with the pan damaging the overhead contact wire.

There’s talk they need to be redesigned.

Hardly surprising some redesign is needed if you try and use a sailing ship as a train (although they were more Chinese than Japanese).

There’s a rumour that they are having problems on the East Coast with their Jap junks as well, something to do with the pan damaging the overhead contact wire.

The pan is designed and manufactured by Brecknell Willis, of Chard in Somerset.

A Wabtec owned company.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pan is designed and manufactured by Brecknell Willis, of Chard in Somerset.

A Wabtec owned company.

We demand our right to indulge in blaming those pesky little chaps from the East! If we start allowing pointless facts to enter discussions where will it end? Chaos that's where, that's why I never allow facts to interfere with an opinion.

• RMweb Gold

Bring back the HST’s

Ah, but that's nothing new is it.  A number of modern trains (including currently the 387s on GWML) are having to have pan mods to 'tune' the pan to the overhead.  We seem to have been managing such situations for at least the past 20 years with 100% British kit l) 

(In the meanwhile I can but hope that once Class 345 British built junk heaps (and these things really are junk heaps in terms of lack of passenger facilities)  get past Maidenhead their pantographs  will dissolve into a myriad of tiny pieces and the answer to the problem will not be found for at least 30 years which should see me out of having to endure these atrocious excuses for 'a train'.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but that's nothing new is it.  A number of modern trains (including currently the 387s on GWML) are having to have pan mods to 'tune' the pan to the overhead.  We seem to have been managing such situations for at least the past 20 years with 100% British kit l) 

(In the meanwhile I can but hope that once Class 345 British built junk heaps (and these things really are junk heaps in terms of lack of passenger facilities)  get past Maidenhead their pantographs  will dissolve into a myriad of tiny pieces and the answer to the problem will not be found for at least 30 years which should see me out of having to endure these atrocious excuses for 'a train'.)

If only new electrification schemes were done to some kind of European interoperability standard so that this sort of problem didn't happen...

• Like 1

If only new electrification schemes were done to some kind of European interoperability standard so that this sort of problem didn't happen...

I rode KIngs Cross to Kings Lynn and return on the Electrostars last week, on the return trip sitting in the coach with the pantograph, there were around seven incidences of major mechanical crashes and bangs from above, as if the pantograph had jammed and released,  I went to find someone to report this to, but the train crew had gone,  none of the passengers were the least bit bothered so I left it at that!. 

I rode KIngs Cross to Kings Lynn and return on the Electrostars last week, on the return trip sitting in the coach with the pantograph, there were around seven incidences of major mechanical crashes and bangs from above, as if the pantograph had jammed and released,  I went to find someone to report this to, but the train crew had gone,  none of the passengers were the least bit bothered so I left it at that!. 

Sounds like the VCB (vacuum circuit-breaker), which would operate at neutral sections- they do make a hell of a din when they open and close.

That will have been Vacuum Circuit Breaker opening and closing at the Neutral Sections - all quite normal, and necessary to minimise arcing as the pantograph head comes to the end of the energised wire and onto the insulator.

Jim

There should be an even number of bangs, or the breaker will end up open. ;)

Between Kings Cross and Kings Lynn I think there are 9 or 10 neutral sections, so lots of banging if you're sitting under the well. Not the carriage to get any sleep in...

If your train has air conditioning then you'll notice the fans stopping whilst the VCB is open, too. It's especially obvious on a Pendolino, though clearly not on the Kings Lynn line.

Edited by Zomboid