Class 800 - Updates

Given the current random set orientation, a yellow stripe for first class would be a start.

In the company mag a while ago Mark Hopwood was asked why the yellow stripe had been dropped with the new livery and the answer was the usual form over function bolleaux, a shame really because Mark normally responds with proper answers instead of the corporate bull.

As stated a yellow stripe should be mandatory for 1st class above the side windows and on the coupler so it can be seen as the train approaches, just like Cross Country have done with their Voyagers.

Edited by royaloak

Though as a driver you'll know that those headlights will make any markings on the front on the train useless. (And the coupler is hidden behind a cowling).

The principle is sound though, with headlights less powerful than the sun they could revive the old southern region triangles or something like that.

If they are currently unable to provide a trolley in both halves of their trains, it might be useful if they had a way of indicating to passengers which bits will and won't have catering.

Hi,

GWR are using the Station Passenger Information Displays to show information on catering levels. It is also stated on the Staff TIMIS system.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree that splitting non-corridor trains isn't a new thing for the UK.

However for passengers on these routes, it is a novelty.

If they are currently unable to provide a trolley in both halves of their trains, it might be useful if they had a way of indicating to passengers which bits will and won't have catering.

The novelty factor depends on your age.  Portion working was far from unknown on the GWR - including portions which were dropped off without the train stopping - but such things mostly disappeared with the coming of the diseasal age and most that didn't go then didn't last over much longer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Full Virgin livery set sat at Reford babworth loop yesterday P.M. at 14.28. Didn't have time to stop and have a good look as I as driving to an appointment.

I might wander out tomorrow at the alloted ZZ times for Retford to have a peep.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

GWR are using the Station Passenger Information Displays to show information on catering levels. It is also stated on the Staff TIMIS system.

Simon

OK that's good.

I suspect it doesn't make its way into Arriva land but I might be pleasantly surprised.

Of course even better would be not to have downgraded the availability of catering with the introduction of the new trains, but you can't have everything.

Of course even better would be not to have downgraded the availability of catering with the introduction of the new trains, but you can't have everything.

But the survey said passengers preferred to be served at their seat rather than walk to the buffet.

Of course it depends how you ask the question!

• RMweb Premium

But the survey said passengers preferred to be served at their seat rather than walk to the buffet.

Of course it depends how you ask the question!

Actually I was thinking of units running without any catering, rather than changing a buffet to trolleys.

If I'm travelling with someone, I would prefer to walk to the buffet when I want to rather than wait/hope for a trolley.

If I'm on my own with a laptop, I'd rather the trolley came to me than either have to leave the laptop there or lug it down the train.

But I'd quite happily do without my cup of tea in return for a trolley not blocking the aisles. I find they work reasonably well on short trains, but on a longer one they always seem to be in the way somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Presumably that was the single one in the Azuma promotional livery?

Probably, I didn't really see the markings. Today though I believe the same set came Up at 36E on 5X20 @ 1020 approx and that had weird markings in red on white. Looked very smart and was going fast far quieter than the 225s.

Closely followed Up by second hand GWR 185 now window marked for Grand Central, presumably on 5Z51 ECS to Bounds Green from Heaton?

I'm not used to this sort of 'spotting' so I could be talking out of my exhaust port.

Phil

• Like 1

Probably, I didn't really see the markings. Today though I believe the same set came Up at 36E on 5X20 @ 1020 approx and that had weird markings in red on white. Looked very smart and was going fast far quieter than the 225s.

Closely followed Up by second hand GWR 185 now window marked for Grand Central, presumably on 5Z51 ECS to Bounds Green from Heaton?

I'm not used to this sort of 'spotting' so I could be talking out of my exhaust port.

Phil

?

800101 was on these. Only a promotional Azuma livery. Please see my previous comments. 

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Gold

Phil

These were about on 3rd May.

800001 working 5X80, 08.56 Doncaster Carr IEP Depot to North Pole International, reversing in platform 1 at Doncaster.

post-414-0-55635600-1525351932.jpg

800101 in the promotional livery working 5X20, 09.52 Doncaster Carr IEP Depot to London Kings Cross, reversing in platform 1 at Doncaster.

post-414-0-09435400-1525351958.jpg

post-414-0-57849200-1525351966.jpg

The class 180 that you saw was Grand Central 180103 and as you surmised, was working 5Z51, 08.35 Heaton T&RSMD to Bounds Green T&RSMD.  It's still in the livery of First Great Western and has on several occasions worked on Grand Central's services to Bradford Interchange and Sunderland since transfer from FGW. 

Edited by 4630
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm quite particular about how I like tea, and I've never had a good one from a trolley - the water is just never hot enough. At a buffet counter they don't have that issue (usually). Though I realise this really is first world problem territory...

I'm with you there brother! For a nation of tea drinkers, we really do have seem put up with the most awful tea. Water not boiling because it comes out of the same supply as the filter coffee (so about 85°C), teabag dumped in, milk slopped straight on.....and don't get me started on why they seem to think they have to fill it right to the brim. Ask them to pour a bit out and sometimes they're almost offended.

Even the French do better tea.

• RMweb Gold

Given the current random set orientation, a yellow stripe for first class would be a start.

But it seems that even though (to their credit) it was considered acceptable on the old FGW* livery it would spoil the lovely new green livery.

I think it should just be made a requirement along with cantrail stripes, contrasting door colours etc.

* And I have come across people who had trouble finding a standard class carriage because they all said "First" on them.

Goes back to what I said in the thread about new trains-it's not just better trains/infrastructure, better passengers would help too!

• Like 2

In reality, just what proportion of passengers notice the Yellow stripe, or know what it means?

Having drinks with friends yesterday, I randomly asked my wife and the other couple (husband and wife) and non of them knew what a Yellow stripe meant, or even remember seeing one painted on a train.

The other chap used to travel 1st class all the time, when he had to resort to rail for business trips.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

These were about on 3rd May.

800001 working 5X80, 08.56 Doncaster Carr IEP Depot to North Pole International, reversing in platform 1 at Doncaster.

attachicon.gif800001 5X80 Doncaster 03052018 - RMweb.jpg

800101 in the promotional livery working 5X20, 09.52 Doncaster Carr IEP Depot to London Kings Cross, reversing in platform 1 at Doncaster.

attachicon.gif800101 5X20 Doncaster 03052018 - RMweb.jpg

attachicon.gif800101 5X20 Doncaster 03052018 - RMweb 2.jpg

The class 180 that you saw was Grand Central 180103 and as you surmised, was working 5Z51, 08.35 Heaton T&RSMD to Bounds Green T&RSMD.  It's still in the livery of First Great Western and has on several occasions worked on Grand Central's services to Bradford Interchange and Sunderland since transfer from FGW. 

That GWR one must have been the 09.11 through 36E. I was too lazy to go out to see that so thank you very much for posting those excellent pics. Much appreciated.

Apologies for not knowing what the Class 180 was. I don't take any notice of stuff like this normally and don't have a clue what things are.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had my first ride on these today, from Cardiff to Bristol Parkway for the Bristol show.  Nice; very smooth and quiet, and not too bad for legroom.  The toilets seem bigger than necessary, and I was disappointed to find there was no wi-fi.  At last, we have stock nearly as good as the mk2 airconditioned marks, on a train allegedly capable of running to a 1977 HST timetable...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In reality, just what proportion of passengers notice the Yellow stripe, or know what it means?

Even only a small proportion of passengers find it useful, the advantages still seem as if they ought to outweigh the disadvantages.

But that's perhaps because I can't see what the disadvantage of a yellow stripe is. It can't cost a lot more than the faint grey stripes currently on the 800.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had my first ride on these today, from Cardiff to Bristol Parkway for the Bristol show.  Nice; very smooth and quiet, and not too bad for legroom.  The toilets seem bigger than necessary, and I was disappointed to find there was no wi-fi.  At last, we have stock nearly as good as the mk2 airconditioned marks, on a train allegedly capable of running to a 1977 HST timetable...

I think they are supposed to have wifi.

As for legroom, I don't think there is much stock around with greater legroom in standard class.

(Shame that on Saturday the trains from Cardiff are nicely timed to just miss the hourly bus service to Thornbury for the show, but I suppose that's not GWR's fault).

I think they are supposed to have wifi.

They defiantly have WiFi installed, they are the small rectangular white box screwed to the ceiling, although these are the TOCs responsibility rather than Hitachi's, Hitachi aren't allowed to touch the WiFi system.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Even only a small proportion of passengers find it useful, the advantages still seem as if they ought to outweigh the disadvantages.

But that's perhaps because I can't see what the disadvantage of a yellow stripe is. It can't cost a lot more than the faint grey stripes currently on the 800.

As an arty type might say, Get with the programme ;)

Having a national standardised first class indication is SO last century dear boy. Just like yellow ends such things really inhibit the creative juices of gifted graphic designers who need to express their full creativity and not be constrained by pesky standards just because a handful of people find them useful.

• RMweb Premium

Having a national standardised first class indication is SO last century dear boy. Just like yellow ends such things really inhibit the creative juices of gifted graphic designers who need to express their full creativity and not be constrained by pesky standards just because a handful of people find them useful.

It's worse than that...it's a European standard so it must be bad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They defiantly have WiFi installed, they are the small rectangular white box screwed to the ceiling, although these are the TOCs responsibility rather than Hitachi's, Hitachi aren't allowed to touch the WiFi system.

Simon

And the GWR information about the IEPs says that 'they have wifi throughout the train'

The yellow for first class is a UIC agreement, of which UK rail through the DaFT is a member, so it should be displayed. You also have the EMT livery with the dots for first class. What would be wrong with a strip below the windows, at passenger level, denoting the class, with a yellow strip with the words first class and the seat numbers next to the doors, and a grey on with standard. Or would that upset the designers livery too much?