Class 800 - Updates

An up train was announced at Chippenham today with first class in the centre and at the rear.

A pair of units turned up the right way round, so first class was at the front and in the centre.

So if they have turned around the units, maybe they need to turn around the announcements.

Geoff Endacott

..... or turn the passengers : reminds me of an incident at Newcastle many years ago where the train from Edinburgh was announced as being the wrong way round and everybody on the platform had to make their way to where they now expected their seat to arrive ........... needless to say, chaos ensued when the HST actually arrived with the First Class leading ! ( Presumably a fault at that end of the train as it DEPARTED Standard Class leading.)

An up train was announced at Chippenham today with first class in the centre and at the rear.

A pair of units turned up the right way round, so first class was at the front and in the centre.

So if they have turned around the units, maybe they need to turn around the announcements.

Geoff Endacott

I've found that GWR haven't quite got the hang of automated announcement when it comes to any train formations (other than the HSTs), it was particularly bad with turbo formations that split at Reading.

Simon

I have seen far more 800s pass the Slough cameras than any other day so far. 

In fact, there have been noticeably more 800s than HSTs so far today. 

The tipping point where HST's become the minority can't be far off now.

Expect to see more 800's over the next few months, as the remainder of the 5-cars are brought into service, the 9-car units start to appear in numbers and the 802's go into service.

I might plan a longish HST trip before it's too late.

• RMweb Premium

Expect to see more 800's over the next few months, as the remainder of the 5-cars are brought into service, the 9-car units start to appear in numbers and the 802's go into service.

I might plan a longish HST trip before it's too late..

While it will be sad to see the HSTs go, I won't be at all unhappy to say goodbye to the GWR Mk 3's given what they've done to them - crammed full of very high backed airline seats and with windows so heavily tinted you can barely see anything at night.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's the first 5-car Class 801, so an electric set.

Only the ECML (ICEC franchise) will be getting Class 801's (for the present), as the GWML order was changed into more Class 800 bi-modes.

Thank you; they're not unusual at York these days on test runs - some green, some white and some white with red splodges on, but I thought I hadn't seen one with 801on it before!

• RMweb Gold

Has any one got any info on Saturday diagrams yet - my trip to 16mm show at Peterborough will take me from Bristol PW to Paddington very early  and back late afternoon

Chris

• RMweb Premium

This is a snap-shot of the "tipping point" situation for Chippenham (weekdays, if everything goes to plan):

post-5204-0-11753100-1522956187_thumb.jpg

Yellows are booked for IET operation

The first two 9 car 800/3 diagrams start on the 11th June, so not to long off. With the first two 802/0 diagrams starting down West on the 16th July. Expect the revolution to be August time. 

With 48 diagrams this summer... (shall call 800/0, 800/3 & 802/0 diagrams IET for sake of ease)

June - 19 x IET 29 x HST (might be early 802 diagrams - TBC)

July - 23 x IET 25 x HST 

Aug - expect Aug to be it! 27 IET x 22 HST

Usual disclaimers with this and the actual practices shall deviate. This is just to illustrate the swap. 

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Gold

I saw 801101 passing through York twice yesterday (once in each direction) - would that be an ECML set?  it was completely white with no branding that I could see.

That's the first 5-car Class 801, so an electric set.

Only the ECML (ICEC franchise) will be getting Class 801's (for the present), as the GWML order was changed into more Class 800 bi-modes.

Thank you; they're not unusual at York these days on test runs - some green, some white and some white with red splodges on, but I thought I hadn't seen one with 801on it before!

801101 was on test again today as 5X70, 5X71 & 5X72.

Passing through York with 5X71, 08.54 Newark North Gate to Newcastle.

post-414-0-93908600-1522958636.jpg

post-414-0-54139900-1522958651.jpg

• Like 5

Not that their seems to be any great need to hurry - last week, the first two sets, which will be used for training, only just rolled off the boat in Teesport, so there's nothing to actually train on yet anyway.

Which is exactly what happened at GWR, no units for crew training but when the floodgates opened on the deliveries (and HSTs going off lease) there werent/ arent enough IET trained crews its suddenly GWRs fault!

I might plan a longish HST trip before it's too late..

Head South West, we're nowhere near a tipping point down here, I've not seen one down this way yet, and I don't think any have been in passenger service west of Exeter yet?

(I know they have run down here on test, just not when I've been around!)

• Like 1

Head South West, we're nowhere near a tipping point down here, I've not seen one down this way yet, and I don't think any have been in passenger service west of Exeter yet?

(I know they have run down here on test, just not when I've been around!)

Both the 800's and 802's have been down to Penzance on test, but none in service just yet, the closest they've got in service I think is Taunton.

Simon

Head South West, we're nowhere near a tipping point down here....

The SW will probably be last GWR served area to see the take over, when the 802's go into passenger service.

As 159220 confirms, it's only a few months away from the tipping point, when looking across the entire GWR fleet of HST's and IET's.

• RMweb Gold

The SW will probably be last GWR served area to see the take over, when the 802's go into passenger service.

Ah, just like the end of the broad gauge.  isn't it strange how some old ideas come round every no and again (I realise dieselisation broke the mould but now it looks like we're back to the traditional approach,   ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ah, just like the end of the broad gauge.  isn't it strange how some old ideas come round every no and again (I realise dieselisation broke the mould but now it looks like we're back to the traditional approach,   ;)

So are they going to reactivate some extra sidings at Swindon to store al the HST's.

Jamie

• Like 2

I've also heard the story about Crewe. It may even have been Gwynneth Dunwoody who's constituency was nearby.

Jamie

Jamie, I really don't believe so.  In a previous hat I had the pleasure of meeting Gwyneth a number of times, and she was a true railway pragmatist - staunchly in favour of good, soundly thought-through solutions, and I don't think that for a moment she would have been troubled by the concept of changing, or adding, locos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, I really don't believe so.  In a previous hat I had the pleasure of meeting Gwyneth a number of times, and she was a true railway pragmatist - staunchly in favour of good, soundly thought-through solutions, and I don't think that for a moment she would have been troubled by the concept of changing, or adding, locos.

was reported as being very anti

I may have got the name wrong but it was certainly some politician from that area who was reported as having been delayed at Crewe due to problems coupling a 57 to a Pendelino. I'm happy to be corrected.

Jamie

HST 125 's seemed to be in the minority today,  I hope GWR organise a good send off for the units when they are retired.

There were issues with OHLE power beyond Reading today, therefore diesel power required on the 800's.  Caught the 0800 Paddington 2x 5 car set  as far as Bath Spa,  the diesel engines were started up at the Reading stop,  from that point on , by my my GPS  phone  app  speed did not  exceed 110 mph   which shows how   the more powerful   sets are needed off  the wires.   Cancellations on my return journey,  the 1443 and 1513 ex Bath to Paddington  both cancelled and so was stranded on the platforms for an hour, it must be seen as a serious problem for  for two consecutive class 1 services to be caped.   An HST appeared, (very welcome)   the 1543 service,  the 1513 caped for lack of driver according to the announcer, I did not note the reason behind the 1443.

Is  GWR behind schedule on driver conversion to the new traction?

I'm not complaining/criticising,  just logging my day out.

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Gold

Also a lot of cancelled South Wales servcies today due - apparently - to signalling issues - I went from Bristol Parkway to Paddington and return on HSTs - am was as per timetable (very early) - pm was not!