Class 800 - Updates

I shall see you in the Pullman dining car then! 

Blooming good meal and a superb service. I cannot recommend it anymore, just go try! 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-07-18 at 22.33.41.png

Or if not in the Westcountry, VTEC put on a good menu!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-07-18 at 22.37.07.png

Looks very good that. The GWR menu looks more appealing though, however I doubt the new Hitachi trains will have any kind of kitchen cars to produce such a meal.

Looks very good that. The GWR menu looks more appealing though, however I doubt the new Hitachi trains will have any kind of kitchen cars to produce such a meal.

From the information I've seen from Hitachi and GWR, they will be provided with a full kitchen, a bit like the Pendolinos.

Simon

Well the new Class 800s and 802s on GWR have full kitchens, with the Pullman service remaining as is, I cannot see how it can be any more unequivocal a fact. I suggest you should read the Train Technical Specification from the DfT before posting further negatives about a train and service which has yet to be introduced. 

I'm sure I read in modern railways that the buffet counter was a casualty of progress, but not the kitchen.

In other news, I saw a pair of them running in and out of Paddington the other day... With their pantographs up!

• Like 2

Agility West never were specified by the DfT to have buffets in the GWR 800s, likely GWR did not have much influence due to the nature of the franchise contract conditions. Though Agility East have been specified by the DfT for Virgin Trains East Coast to have a 'cafe-bar' counter service in their 800s and 801s (as well as a kitchen - level 1 or 2 tbc). 

I do not know whether it has been confirm on Agility East fleet, as to the specifics seen in the TTS on p. 62.

See TS1630 for all the details, I attach screen shot, but downloadable from the DfT. 

I am sure a solution such a that found on Norwegian Airlines over the Atlantic shall be more than satisfactory for an at seat hot and cold food provision on GWR. All might change in the new franchise as that operator shall have more influence under the terms of the TTS.

post-22366-0-16426900-1500504945_thumb.png

800006 was on the Cotswold Line yesterday evening, stopping at a few stations to allow the train crew to check measurements against the platforms.  I saw it once at speed on the main line and again stopped at the platform.  All seemed to be running well, the diesel engines are very quiet, even at night accelerating away from the station.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

'Western Enterprise' sounds like quite a good name, or they could name them after warships, or even old buildings such as manor houses and maybe even castles?

I believe there will be different combinations of coaches.

That being the case, the longest ones could be named after kings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about:

Western Rapacity

Western Profligate

Western Hope

And they could have different names for the long and short sets, so some could be given names like

Daft Mendacity

Daft Capricious

Daft Indolence

• Like 1

Perhaps a few "Western this, that, t'other's"

Western Sardine Tin

Western on electricity (then a bit further on diesel) !!

Pick your personalities from this lot

SE England

http://www.localhistories.org/southwestfam.html

Wales

http://www.visitwales.com/explore/personalities/welsh-and-famous

I suppose a painted on, vinyl or tatty thin "bacofoil" nameplate - nothing done properly these days. (52's were pure class - never to be repeated).

Brit15

How about-

DaFT Brian (after the snail on magic roundabout)

DaFT Snail,

DaFT Slug

DaFT Asthmatic

etc

Simply because of who ordered (and specced) them and the fact they are a bit slow on diesel and very slow up any sort of incline.

The seating might be a bit hard but there is plenty of lower back support and lots of knee room throughout the Standard Class area.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 2

'Western Enterprise' sounds like quite a good name, or they could name them after warships, or even old buildings such as manor houses and maybe even castles?

These days it's more likely they would be named after sports stadiums or out-of-town shopping centres.

Whilst there can be plenty of dismay about the politics that have driven the IEP project, whether they are the right technical solution and the undoubted high cost of buying them, I do have to say the end result does look to be a very impressive train indeed.

I reckon the punters are bound to like them (which is the main thing really) and, who knows, these new trains may just have every bit as transformative an effect on the routes they will be operating as their predecessors.

Together with the massive increase in frequency of the trains, on the GW at least.

As I understand it the plan is, from London, as follows.

Two per hour to Plymouth (orTorbay), with Cornwall extensions, via Westbury but fast Exeter - Reading.

Two per hour Pewsey, Westbury or Exeter slow.

Four per hour Bristol, two via Bristol parkway, two via Bath, and one of each fast to Reading and one fast per hour extended to Exeter or Torbay.

Four per hour Cardiff, two fast Parkway to Reading, two slow, and one fast per hour extended to Swansea or West Wales.

One per hour Gloucester and Cheltenham via Swindon.

Two per hour Oxford, one per hour extended to Worcester, Malvern or Hereford.