3D scanning Rapido's latest UK prototype...

rapidotrains

Refusing to bite of course...... But I don't think the new OO release is necessarily motive power.

Rapido in the past have in the North American market provided super detailed coaching stock with huge amounts of under frame detail.

The photo provided is a blanked out vehicle alongside what I think is a mark 3 TFO. So my guess is a new lights and whistles range of mark 3 vehicles, perhaps to complement future (or pray co-released) class 252 power cars. The Hornby tooling is after all a bit long in the tooth and a weak link when added with their super 253 power cars. Essential vehicles indeed.

Rapido continue to intrigue me - raising the game for UK model manufacturers.

Neil

It's a Mk2 aircon (d,e,f)

If its related to the apt-e, the bogies on most BR post apt dmus are developed from the technology of the apt, and the pacer family of units came directly from the hsfv. So it's either a 14x or a 156. The 156 would tie in with the low floor motor unit they have just developed from the budd railcar they are going to be making.

I would put my money on 2 things:

1. Prototype Tram and MK3s to match (remember the prototype MK3s had different gangways to todays examples)

2. MK2s. which type I don't know. 

Why? Well going off the "hints" from the "Carry on APT" video at  Shildon, Bill stated by saying their new model is the Sterling Single then moved onto the APT-E... (now we have the Sterling Single), then a few months later on Rapidos facebook page we see a laptop on a Voyager, displaying a photo of the 41, then in another thread (on this site) we see something (can't remember what), positioned next to or on a book which I have on my desk about MK2s....

Of course I could be talking rubbish, but I notice a potential trend. For that reason I reckon it will be a P-Way trolly :)

If its related to the apt-e, the bogies on most BR post apt dmus are developed from the technology of the apt, and the pacer family of units came directly from the hsfv. So it's either a 14x or a 156. The 156 would tie in with the low floor motor unit they have just developed from the budd railcar they are going to be making.

And didn't a 156 make it to Barrow Hill for Model Rail Live one year...

Looking at the picture again... I'm not sure there is actually anything there. There is no identifiable item in reflection from the Mk2 (or maybe it IS the Mk2?), In the reflection on the left there is the pillar from the right then noting until the far distance. If there was something where the black shape is then there would have to be something reflected even if only to give a change in light levels; there isn't.

The shadow on the ground of the black shape isn't where it should be. The Mk2 has no shadow visible on the ballast. The slight shadows on the underframe boxes suggest the light source is to the right of the picture and thus any shadow would be on the left of the black shape, not a weird grey-ness to the right.

Very much red, and smelling of fish...

Luke

Ahh finally my Caledonian 812 then

I should be so lucky as to get a Rapido Version of that, if happily settle for the past 5 years of rumors that Bachmann is going to do it coming true, never mind Jason and Co doing it!

That said, I'm enjoying the speculation almost as much as Jason probably is (and that's only because he knows how close/far everyone is from the truth). I'd have thought by now most people would have figured out that Jason's teaser images are often as much misdirection as they are direction to finding the truth he is announcing.

Stephen

Luke, there is a small shadow to the right of the black object- it's split into three distinct parts. The shadow is very short which suggests the sun is overhead. There's a reflection of the far end of the building on the MK2- that is down to the angle of the carriage in relation to the building- any reflection of the black object would therefore be behind the camera.

Not that it's relevant but you can clearly see someone reflected in the MK2. The item that the person is standing next to is quite dark coloured. <speculationalert>Perhaps even GNER blue</speculationalert>

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea of doing a proper 4mm scale GO Transit commuter train. We can wipe out the platform faces, tunnels and bridges on UK layouts all at the same time!

Jason: the HO GMD1 nearly lost the battle with the platforms at Windermere* -- the handrails rattled along until it lost power. I think an OO version would climb the ramps at the end.

* on Lostock Junction.  see Mike vs the Daleks video.

Paul.uni

If it's of any interest, there's nothing at NRM York or Shildon, Neville Hill, or the GCR that matches that photo- all the places that the prototype HST has been to since withdrawal.

The 89 is an obvious choice, but hardly well travelled.

I know Jason will be reading our collective guesses and having a laugh at our expense. Jason- I'd just like to say, when you're at the NEC... I know who you are. You don't know who I am. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :D

The photo is at Barrow Hill ... down the back of the shed with the Mk2s on the platform line

• RMweb Premium

Assuming Jason isn't deliberately misleading in the newsletter, my take from the words "essential vehicles" through their lives and a link to the APT-E, my money is on the prototype HST accompanied by a range of Mk3 coaches up to modern standards.

I did guess the APT-E correctly... (so I'm unlikely to be correct twice?)

There again, the buffers look a little prototype HST. And the HST was designed as an alternative to the APT- there are several photos of the prototype APT and HST together.

But has it been used in ALL regions? Has it been available previously (no matter how long ago)? Has it ever been to Barrow Hill?

Anyone want to slap Jason? (that is meant in jest and in no way incitement to slap him repeatedly until he spills the beans. At all.)

I think the photo is a total red herring*... but might prove that Rapido have been to Barrow Hill. They will soon have a single arm pan and the comment about what the model looks like at night might refer to it being fitted with a flash unit to replicate arcing.

The 89 has worked on the WCML and ECML, and has been dragged to Norwich (and Hamburg!), so three electrified main lines are covered. The reference to "plastic" might refer to bashing one from two Hornby HST Power Cars and a class 58 chassis, and as a finished kit from a few sources. Heljan have had enough time to show interest in it, but haven't raided their parts bin.

* I think it might be the arse-end of stored Mk3b DVT, 82101.

Luke, there is a small shadow to the right of the black object- it's split into three distinct parts. The shadow is very short which suggests the sun is overhead. There's a reflection of the far end of the building on the MK2- that is down to the angle of the carriage in relation to the building- any reflection of the black object would therefore be behind the camera.

Not that it's relevant but you can clearly see someone reflected in the MK2. The item that the person is standing next to is quite dark coloured. <speculationalert>Perhaps even GNER blue</speculationalert>

I think that shadow is fake. If the sun was overhead and to the left, then there would be the same type and intensity of shadow to the right of the Mk2. There isn't. Also the tone of the shadow would change as it further away from the viewer. It doesn't.

The light that is reflected from the side of the Mk2 is, because the side of the Mk2 has a tumblehome, reflecting the light from ground up. If there was something where the black shape is that light would be blocked by the black shape before it reached the Mk2. 

I'm sure there is nothing there!

It would be nice when it is finally revealed to see the original of all these photos!

Luke

• RMweb Gold

My heart says Prototype HST and 21st century standard Mk3s.

However, I reckon it's a Class 86 or an 87. Both done before, neither very well. 86 has more geographical spread.

Google BHR stock and the only resident that matches the black mass is the class 84 (look at the buffers, the pipes in front of the leading/trailing axle) and some of the equipment on the roof could account for the bit seemingly sticking out of the cab in the picture.

The 84 doesn't fit into the earlier clues, so I am not suggesting it is an 84, but the picture clearly is (and that is borne out by the dark (blue) reflection in the lower side of the MK2 alongside.

So personally I think the picture is a total red herring.

Archived