3D scanning Rapido's latest UK prototype...

rapidotrains

From the news letter :-

Rapido's Next British Modelspacer.gifThe APT-E, Pendolino and TEA won't be the only Rapido-made samples that we intend to be flashing about at the [/size]NECin late November. We've teased our next British OO gauge model a couple of times and had a lot of fun reading the responses via email and on the forums.[/size]spacer.gifWe've had a number of people contact us pleading for more information, so read on! We can tell you that it will be up to the same standard as our [/size]North American releases and will utilise some of the clever tricks that we've developed on recent products. It'll also look just as great running at night as it will during the day. OK - I haven't revealed anything, have I?[/size]spacer.gifThe tooling is designed to represent these essential vehicles throughout their lives and, of course, we've stuffed more pipework and separate detail on the underbody than most manufacturers have put on their entire catalogue of trains. (It will look amazing when it derails and comes to rest in the ditch, upside-down!) Finally, we are especially happy that there is a notable link between the experimental [/size]APT-E and this model.[/size]spacer.gifThe unveiling will take place at the [/size]Warley show on 28 November at 10.00 am.[/size]spacer.gif

Now that's just mean lol

• RMweb Gold

Refusing to bite of course...... But I don't think the new OO release is necessarily motive power.

Rapido in the past have in the North American market provided super detailed coaching stock with huge amounts of under frame detail.

The photo provided is a blanked out vehicle alongside what I think is a mark 3 TFO. So my guess is a new lights and whistles range of mark 3 vehicles, perhaps to complement future (or pray co-released) class 252 power cars. The Hornby tooling is after all a bit long in the tooth and a weak link when added with their super 253 power cars. Essential vehicles indeed.

Rapido continue to intrigue me - raising the game for UK model manufacturers.

Neil

I can't see them doing MK3's unless it is part of a MK3/ HST-P combo. Though if that's the case then additional MK3's in other liveries for "other" power cars is not inconceivable.

The tooling for the 2 HST-P power cars would be the same

The MK3's are all the same externally (1st/cattle) I am not sure whether a catering vehicle would be included/ needed.

Investment in several new tooling sets would be an awful lot of money, that most manufacturers wouldn't want. However, it's no different in theory to the APT with its pc tooling and trailer tooling.

I still think slapping Jason into submission is a better idea. ;)

• RMweb Gold

It's easy - you can see what it is reflected in the side of the coach stood next to it

I can't, But I KNOW it is the protoype HST power car, There is no overhead so unlikely to be an electric

• RMweb Gold

Well the photo has been deleted so it looks like Southernman46 is right....

Photo is still there for me, and since they sent it out in the email version it would not help removing it from the web!

I can't, But I KNOW it is the protoype HST power car, There is no overhead so unlikely to be an electric

If the picture is a clue it looks like it was taken at Barrow Hill Round House which has examples of Classes 81-85 & 89. To the best of my knowledge the prototype HST power car has not been there.

Oh, and for some perspective. The locomotive beside the 66 below is SHORTER IN HEIGHT than the GO locomotive above.

Yet it still makes the 66 look like a wee tyke.

-Jason

ecr-emd-london-28042008.jpg

Ah, but great things often come in small packages......

Oh, and for some perspective. The locomotive beside the 66 below is SHORTER IN HEIGHT than the GO locomotive above.

Yet it still makes the 66 look like a wee tyke.

-Jason

ecr-emd-london-28042008.jpg

I wonder if my on order HO Rapido Budd RDC SP #10 will fit or destroy the 4 mm platforms of my Padstow 1947 plank?  ....I have left a bit of a gap for the prospective passengers to leap and that should help.  My modelling subjects are an ocean and continent apart. Unfortunately all your UK stuff is way too modern or somewhat irrelevant (Sterling single would never have gotten down the North Cornwall line.)

Paul.uni

If it's of any interest, there's nothing at NRM York or Shildon, Neville Hill, or the GCR that matches that photo- all the places that the prototype HST has been to since withdrawal.

The 89 is an obvious choice, but hardly well travelled.

I know Jason will be reading our collective guesses and having a laugh at our expense. Jason- I'd just like to say, when you're at the NEC... I know who you are. You don't know who I am. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :D

My gut reaction on seeing the pic was that it (the pic) was the 89, it's definitely the short bay behind the shed at Barrow Hill and it was there last time I was. However I've just realised that I haven't been for ages and its gonna be a red herring anyway

Archived