3D scanning Rapido's latest UK prototype...

rapidotrains

Given Jason has said he enjoys the Brother Cadfael stories I suspect it'll be an animatronic 4mm scale donkey with a monk on board.  Of course the donkey will lend itself to those who like modifying RTR to produce a horse for horse trams, horse drawn early waggonways, horse shunting for Victorian layouts, the list will be endless, whilst those who perpetually live in the rose tinted uplands of Miss Marpleshire can run their spotless kettles past the jolly old traditional foxhunt, although the hounds might prove too difficult to adapt from a donkey mechanism.

• RMweb Premium

We've had all the clues we need - I worked out what it is going to be ages ago. There was a post about it, but duly edited/removed at the time.

And no - I'm not going to repeat it here.

It'll be what it is.

Patience.

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

If you have subscribed to Rapido's UK newsletter - see link on left side of their website http://rapidotrains.com/index.html - you will have a little bit more info, and another picture with UK newsletter #4 released today.

Looks like Barrow hill and those look like oval buffers .... class 84??? The RTC load bank got around the region's a bit. My credit card would be on standby!!!!

I can't see it being an 84- it was a small batch of locos that didn't really last that long. Also from a sales point of view it is quite similar to the Bachmann 85 (remember they aren't just selling to die hard fans).

I can't see it being an 86/87 either. Heljan have not long released the 86 and again, from a **marketing** point of view the 86 and 87 are similar.

My money is with Britfamer's comment- the 89. It is certainly a popular machine. Though it doesn't fit with the original statement of travelling on all regions- but it was previously available (but not recently) as a kit/ conversion.

There again, the buffers look a little prototype HST. And the HST was designed as an alternative to the APT- there are several photos of the prototype APT and HST together.

But has it been used in ALL regions? Has it been available previously (no matter how long ago)? Has it ever been to Barrow Hill?

Anyone want to slap Jason? (that is meant in jest and in no way incitement to slap him repeatedly until he spills the beans. At all.)

Things the new project is likely to have in common with APT-E ("a notable link between the experimental APT-E and this model")

4ft 8.5in   nominal track gauge for the prototype

4mm:foot  OO model

Now the question is - Is there anything further linking the two?  Produced in the same place? Also in the museum? Shares a component? Four car?

One rather doubts that the link is obvious given Rapido's proven record with smoke and mirrors when teasing us.

The class 84 wouldn't have been my first guess but the load bank one would have the RTC link to the APT. That loco in particular probably got around more than most of the other AC electrics and I couldn't think of anything else at Barrow hill that would fit with oval buffers that hadn't already been produced by other manufacturers. Class 89 is a more raked cab than that siluette would suggest.

Although the pic could still be completely unrelated just to tease us.

The 89 doesn't fit in with the original clues, does it? Not really that well travelled. I believe in service it didn't make it past Leeds (although it had been further North I'm sure- even if (IIRC) it was dragged by diesel for whatever reason).

But the 89 did have something in common with the APT- it was ground breaking, ahead of its time, but was beaten commercially by cheaper alternatives (not my comment, but that of a senior BR manager- and I'm sure other opinions varied).

Does that photograph a little while back have any similarity to any NRM buildings?

As reuarding the idea of it being a posible AC electric loco none of them have ever run on the great western region as it is only just being electrified now and we only have a few 86s and 87s left along with 90s,91s and 92s.

As to the oval buffers, lots of stock are fitted with oval buffers including tamping machines, which are found on all regions and would have been used on the APT project to get the track perfect for testing.

Just because a photo now shows it at a 3rd location doesn't necessarily mean that the real thing is at Barrow Hill. 

I remain sceptical over what Rapido keep teasing us with. I've resigned my self to the fact that we won't know will Warley; hence I will be there :)

From the news letter :-

Rapido's Next British Model
spacer.gif
The APT-E, Pendolino and TEA won't be the only Rapido-made samples that we intend to be flashing about at the NECin late November. We've teased our next British OO gauge model a couple of times and had a lot of fun reading the responses via email and on the forums.
spacer.gif
We've had a number of people contact us pleading for more information, so read on! We can tell you that it will be up to the same standard as our North American releases and will utilise some of the clever tricks that we've developed on recent products. It'll also look just as great running at night as it will during the day. OK - I haven't revealed anything, have I?
spacer.gif
The tooling is designed to represent these essential vehicles throughout their lives and, of course, we've stuffed more pipework and separate detail on the underbody than most manufacturers have put on their entire catalogue of trains. (It will look amazing when it derails and comes to rest in the ditch, upside-down!) Finally, we are especially happy that there is a notable link between the experimental APT-E and this model.
spacer.gif
The unveiling will take place at the Warley show on 28 November at 10.00 am.
spacer.gif

Archived