3D scanning Rapido's latest UK prototype...

rapidotrains

At least tell us this one thing. Will it have square wheels?

We have had square axle boxes and even square axles but never a UK prototype with square wheels. Please promise us square wheels with this release so that I can finally complete my collection.

• RMweb Premium

From the original post:

4. The prototype has been done before in plastic, but not in a very, very long time.

Some people posting here would seem to have very short memories.

• RMweb Gold

Apt-p and trans pennine DMU are 'modern' stock which comes to mind which satisfy point 4 in being done in plastic but not for a very long time.

A long time must be at lest pre 2000 (so that's the 320 etc excluded) and I don't think there are many other locos which have been available in plastic and haven't been on sale in recent years

• RMweb Gold

Apt-p and trans pennine DMU are 'modern' stock which comes to mind which satisfy point 4 in being done in plastic but not for a very long time.

A long time must be at lest pre 2000 (so that's the 320 etc excluded) and I don't think there are many other locos which have been available in plastic and haven't been on sale in recent years

But he says it does not tilt So it can't be an APT-P

• RMweb Gold

Good point,

Doesn't leave many options left then,

There can't be that many locos or units which have been made in plastic a long time ago, multi region with no tilt.

I guess that really just leaves dmus which have been offered as kits in the past?

I think a clue here could be Rapidos recent visit to the UK.

So what station is that? There are overhead wires. Could it be on the line to Birmingham?

Guessing they are not going to duplicate Hornby's HST, the only option left is one of the DMU classes.

Not my cup of tea as I prefer EMUs, (unless of course it has square wheels)!

Trans pennine would be nice but there is not one to scan if the title of this thread is right.

• RMweb Gold

The quote was

"It doesn't tilt - oh no it doesn't"

I think you're taking it too literally- complete the above phase? it famously was supposed to, but didn't do so effectively.

Neil

The quote was

I think you're taking it too literally- complete the above phase? it famously was supposed to, but didn't do so effectively.

Neil

wasn't it too effective at tilting which was why passengers felt nausea when they horizon was moving but they couldn't feel the bends?

Even stationary, the APT-P at Crewe has been tilted again recently ... which unfortunately would rule it out from the clue

Probably luck over judgement but I was right on APT-E so this time I going for HST-P which would be great in it's near matching livery.

APT-P? Well others could be right and I know many would be pleased!

Lets wait and see!

Probably luck over judgement but I was right on APT-E so this time I going for HST-P which would be great in it's near matching livery.

APT-P? Well others could be right and I know many would be pleased!

Lets wait and see!

3. The prototype was or is very widely used and not restricted to one region.

I'm not very aufait with that period when the HST-P ran - was it widely used and not restricted to one region?

cheers

Andy

im sure there is a market for an all new highly detailed apt-p and Jason did meet andy in one at Crewe for that interview a year or so back so maybe Jason was quite taken by the idea and that planted the seed?  it would be terrific but I would favour a loco that's in need of a retool over a 5 or 6 car unit.

I think we can safely rule out an APT-P.

Sure it has been done in plastic a long time ago, and maybe the real thing ran in non tilt mode for a while.

But can you imagine the backlash of doing a new refined APT-P to modern standards only for the model to have no tilting mech what so ever?

Rapido would have well and truly shot themselves in the foot there.

Perhaps the it does not tilt means that it does not tilt inwards, however it could do so outwards on occasion due to G force and soft suspension!

This is pointing to a DMU, one of the later generation (2nd or 3rd??) aircom types, of which barely few made it into blue and grey!

The quote was

Neil

Considering Jason's playful style of Banter, as displayed with the comment of Class 71's made from soap, I'm 'leaning' toward the pantomime response: "It doesn't tilt - Oh no it doesn't" - Oh yes it does - Oh no it doesn't - Oh yes it does...etc.

I think we can safely rule out an APT-P.

Sure it has been done in plastic a long time ago, and maybe the real thing ran in non tilt mode for a while.

But can you imagine the backlash of doing a new refined APT-P to modern standards only for the model to have no tilting mech what so ever?

Rapido would have well and truly shot themselves in the foot there.

While the APT-P didn't tilt effectively (Oh no it doesn't), it did unarguably tilt (Oh yes it does). 

Rapido have developed their own tilting system for the APT-E, so if they were to do the APT-P, it would most likely have a tilting system as well.

Regards,

Matt

Whilst it is amusing and entertaining trying to sift out Jason's trademark deep crimson herring flavoured mis-directions to find the correct clues, I do wonder about the comment that "The prototype was or is very widely used and not restricted to one region" in relation to APT-P.  APT-P would be a logical next step although I personally would prefer something more useful and less of a freak, and the pantomime "it doesn't tilt" comments do have some meaning when photos showing the train with individual vehicles clearly suffering some form of tilt failure are out there, but widely used?  Unless this is another crimson kipper, it wasn't terribly widely used.  Also, the use of the present tense is odd, although it could be a reference to it still existing in preservation.

Perhaps when all is said and done Jason could take up a second career as either (a) a military intelligence cryptographer or (b] resident Crossword setter for several newspapers.

Archived