RMweb

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Surely I'm not the only one who raised an eyebrow on reading this?  🥸

Seems perfectly reasonable - otherwise he would have been single-handed.....

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

You will no doubt have learned by now the sad news of the death of Judith Durham, lead singer of The Seekers. One of their big hits was, of course, "I'll Never Find Another Ewe".

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You will no doubt have learned by now the sad news of the death of Judith Durham, lead singer of The Seekers. One of their big hits was, of course, "I'll Never Find Another Ewe".

That, so I'm told, was something that was much said among certain members of the lower deck whose vessels were based ar Scapa Flow.😮

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I must also extend my thanks to the unknown driver of the well loaded 07 registered black estate car whose insistence on maintaining 30mph for the length of the A39 between Nether Stowey and Minehead ( irrespective of the actual speed limit) allowed me so much time to take in the views

I used to drive that road a lot quite a few years ago. Back then, certainly, it was the kind of A road where you could roll along at a decent but not reckless speed in perfect safety, but it is also a road with not so many safe places to overtake. I would invariably find myself in a queue of slow-moving traffic, at the 'regulation' 30 mph or so, at the head of which was an old boy wearing a pork pie hat, driving an Austin Allegro.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Roll forward forty years and the car is a Hyundai or Honda plus lots of motorhomes and twenty foot caravans towed by 4x4s that will inevitably clog up the country lanes. Around our neck of the woods it's much the same. Only yesterday did we get stuck on a back lane where a couple of campers had got into a bottleneck with a tractor towing a logging trailer. 

Fortunately, as old motorcycles get hot and bothered standing still, they're very easy to turn around and pick a new route.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Nice to see you at Minehead Rob. The layout looked great, and it was a very good show, with lots of interesting layouts. I had a useful chat with Maggie Gravett about modelling trees.

Dom's photographs reminded me -I meant to ask you where did you source the small wooden station building on Bleat? I'm looking for something similar for the new project.

Alex

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I got my first speeding ticket driving an Austin Allegro 1100...

How the hell did you manage that ? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Nice to see you at Minehead Rob. The layout looked great, and it was a very good show, with lots of interesting layouts. I had a useful chat with Maggie Gravett about modelling trees.

Dom's photographs reminded me -I meant to ask you where did you source the small wooden station building on Bleat? I'm looking for something similar for the new project.

Alex

Hi Alex, 

Great to see you and Liz. Thank you. The small wooden station building is by Bachmann. It' s the Shillingstone Parcels office and no.longer in production. Judging by thd prices on ebay, it's made from some sort of extremly expensive rare precious metal...........

Perhaps Hornby's Butterley waiting room may fit the bill ? 

That's what I started with here.....

20210228_114940-02.jpeg.dd894d435d8f24453b74082b5cad195e.jpeg

Rob

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

31 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rear ended by an E type Jag?

• Funny 7

9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Alex, 

Great to see you and Liz. Thank you. The small wooden station building is by Bachmann. It' s the Shillingstone Parcels office and no.longer in production. Judging by thd prices on ebay, it's made from some sort of extremly expensive rare precious metal...........

Perhaps Hornby's Butterley waiting room may fit the bill ? 

That's what I started with here.....

20210228_114940-02.jpeg.dd894d435d8f24453b74082b5cad195e.jpeg

Rob

That's a lovely model Rob, always reminds me of a real life overgrown terminus, that at Glasson, LNWR

All it needs is a canopy!

glasson-dock-railway-station-e1574016186426.png.d97261c7e83ebb6b125ce70897f89d36.png

Image: Roger Farnworth via WordPress.com

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Rear ended by an E type Jag?

42 in a 30 zone at 23:50, stopped by a full liveried Mk4 Cortina with the light bar on a rack. I could see the car behind me, and what looked like a clean roofline...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DRoe96 said:

It was great to meet you yesterday Rob, thanks for the weathering tips. Looking forward to trying some techniques on Coombe Town.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a couple of pictures I took. The weathering across the entire scene really brings it together.20220806_134944.jpg.3c3c24a2ffdbf1ec47d91086284e07a3.jpg20220806_134959.jpg.379026cd4861cf16b5ac563c1e74d592.jpg

Overall a lovely little show and worth the trip down.

Cheers,

Dom

Hi Dom, 

Indeed. Equally good to meet and chat yesterday. Those pictures are great, thank you for posting them. 

It was a good little show but due to my late arrival, I saw little of it other than what was immediately around me. 

Try to get there earlier next year !!

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

In the days when towing a trailer was limited to 50 mph, a friend got a speeding ticket. He kept it, so that when he sold his old A55 van he'd be able to prove that it would go at 60...

• Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Got mine in my 105E Anglia (with a Lotus 1650 lump under the bonnet) whilst racing my mate's Mini Cooper S (there was a lot of rivalry between the two marques back then!) along the Kingston Road in South London. It came from two coppers in a black Daimler Dart with a bell on the bumper. That shows how long ago it was!

91257190_DaimlerDart.jpg.6e47388051c9f3feb1593ddd0215efd1.jpg    Anglia.jpg.620a6448599aee5bda73fb398299f0cd.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Got mine in my 105E Anglia (with a Lotus 1650 lump under the bonnet) whilst racing my mate's Mini Cooper S (there was a lot of rivalry between the two marques back then!) along the Kingston Road in South London. It came from two coppers in a black Daimler Dart with a bell on the bumper. That shows how long ago it was!

91257190_DaimlerDart.jpg.6e47388051c9f3feb1593ddd0215efd1.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The year is 1974, I got my provisional licence in the post. Begged my brother in law to give me my first lesson in his Austin Cambridge. The fact that we didn't have 'L' plates didn't seem to matter until...

...we ended up in Southwark magistrates court. Both got fined and points on my licence, good start to my driving career.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gedward said:

The year is 1974, I got my provisional licence in the post. Begged my brother in law to give me my first lesson in his Austin Cambridge. The fact that we didn't have 'L' plates didn't seem to matter until...

...we ended up in Southwark magistrates court. Both got fined and points on my licence, good start to my driving career.

At least you had your licence...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

At least you had your licence...

Yes, but back then Magistrates' courts used to award points to people who hadn't got Licence.  Iwent on an 'educational visit' to the court in Reading and they tried a 16 year old for various motoring offences including driving without a valid licence (or any sort of Driving Licence) and apart from the fine he got a nice set of points to add to his Provisional Licence when he got it😄

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Last Monday afternoon the A39 was even worse mostly 20 mph behind tractors with trailers. As soon as the one I front turned off you caught up with another round the corner.

Don 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Donw said:

Last Monday afternoon the A39 was even worse mostly 20 mph behind tractors with trailers. As soon as the one I front turned off you caught up with another round the corner.

Don 

Quite. No sooner had Snailman turned off the a tractor pulled out......quality. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

[old git grumbly head on]

You lot be thankful you have them there motorway thingies up north, nowt but tractors & caravans clogging up the Cornish roads from March to October.

[/old git grumbly head on]

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4