• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

I can thoroughly reccomend the corner desk, very ergonomic. The bookcases are great open storage and layout supports.

20200809_202321.thumb.jpg.6331a3e2633a333632b0cee08eda35dd.jpg20200809_202229.thumb.jpg.777182f265f60f00835be9517159cde9.jpg20200809_202334.thumb.jpg.756efb0acab4924e570129ab7f67cf8f.jpg

Very nice set up and some food for thought. A trip to IKEA is certainly on the cards.

The units are a nice height to work at as well.

Out of interest what do you use the pink mouth cleaning swabs for?

Cheers,

Mark 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I used to occasionally work with an SNCF bloke called pigeon although his name was spelt in the French version -  so Monsieur Pichon.  He did the platform working at Paris Gare du Nord - far less messily than his avian namesakes..

I assume he'd been a Lieutenant previously (you'll have to be of a certain age to get that one).

1 hour ago, 46444 said:

For cleaning his pink mouth, I would think.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

I assume he'd been a Lieutenant previously (you'll have to be of a certain age to get that one).

Before my time, however, local radio stations would pull such audio gems out on a revival, or after a trip to the car boot sale...

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

For cleaning his pink mouth, I would think.

You're not helping with how wrong that sounds.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Before my time, however, local radio stations would pull such audio gems out on a revival, or after a trip to the car boot sale...

There was a later parody called "Nasty Old Mess". Fortunately, I can't remember who recorded it.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

As week one of the renovations at Chateau Sheep draws to a close, things are going well.

The inevitable poke from Cack, Lord of Chaos and Mayhem was delivered yesterday afternoon. We had planned to use a large window, recently installed at another part of the property but subsequently replaced.  This window was intended to provide the Memsahib with a view of the grounds at Chateau Sheep whilst creating her culinary masterpieces. 

However, it was discovered that this window required a larger lintle and this would place it too low down. 

Our Master builder has sourced a replacement which is being made and we should have it next week so a slight faux pas, nothing more. 

Everything else is on course with plumbing on Monday and Electrics on Tuesday. New ceiling and plastering followed by more electrics and replacement window by this time next week..................assuming we keep Cack at bay. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Regrettably when a new branch of Ikea opened on the outskirts of Reading some years back the exit process from the car park was so popular that some people took over 90 minutes to get out.  The local re-telling of 'my Ikea car park experience' probably assumed the same sort of status as 'he bomb that didn't get me' stories of WWII.

Won't work for me as I've never been in one.

We went into the Reading IKEA once. Never again...

• Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, 46444 said:

Very nice set up and some food for thought. A trip to IKEA is certainly on the cards.

The units are a nice height to work at as well.

Cheers,

Mark 

The units are just the right height for working on/operating layouts. A tad under 4'.

The sponges are ideal for use with weathering washes. I gave a couple to Roger from Squires and he is looking at stocking them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Mange Tout, Fishpaste. 

Perhaps one should explore the modelling opportunities that IKEA presents. Far more enjoyable and will make your visits more palatable.

Examples;

LACK  table tops and shelves- Baseboards and fiddle yards. Five layouts so far. 

Magazine racks- Wait for it.....magazine racks. 

Drawer units-storage. 

Wooden storage boxes- Stock boxes. 

Various fittings- baseboard joiners and lots of other uses. 

Wooden Sewing box- tool box/paint box.

Plate shelves- useful for stock shelf in fiddle yards. 

See it as an opportunity rather than a chore. 

Rob. 

And, in my case, I bide my time until the 'domestic goddess' says - "I need to go to Ikea to get A, B and C"

Then, whilst wandering the yellow and blue emporium I just happen to notice something that 'will come in handy'  from a railway modelling perspective.

At the check-out, my solitary purchase rolls through with the other (usually) needless 'tat' - and is paid for in one hit; out of the 'household buget' and not the 'modelling slush fund'.

All in all, the 30 minutes of drudgery can be both productive, and profitable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, br2975 said:

And, in my case, I bide my time until the 'domestic goddess' says - "I need to go to Ikea to get A, B and C"

Then, whilst wandering the yellow and blue emporium I just happen to notice something that 'will come in handy'  from a railway modelling perspective.

At the check-out, my solitary purchase rolls through with the other (usually) needless 'tat' - and is paid for in one hit; out of the 'household buget' and not the 'modelling slush fund'.

All in all, the 30 minutes of drudgery can be both productive, and profitable.

Word for word, exactly what I used to do on many a trip to the Swedish wonderland.

These days however, I only need have budget conversations with myself. And funnily enough I always win. 😎

Edited by Gedward
typos
  • Friendly/supportive 4

16 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

very ergonomic

Wayyyyy too organised!  The disorder to my immediate right.

WorkybenchHeavenn-009-EditSm.jpg.ff914be648f7c9edabb223870b2f9ee4.jpg

P   (firm advocate in chaos theory).

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

O.....M.....G !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

I had to go there many times between 2015-2018. Still recovering...

I used to work in Slough - fortunately not for long.  ThenI I was working in Reading for some years - it was better than Slough (which is not meant to be a recommendation).  We lived in what many thought was suburb of Reading for over 20 years but it was actually part of West Berkshire, so our local council was in Newbury -not Reading.  I think we were the only people who lived within a few miles of the centre of Reading who never went into Reading to do any shopping - simply went there to catch a train to somewhere else (highly recommended)

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

If I may say so, it looks a bit like the model railway equivalent of Sir Henry Hadyn Jones' office on the old Talyllyn Railway at Towyn, pre-preservation (photo in 'Railway Adventure' refers).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Growing up in Reading ( living in Caversham) I am well aware of its bad points. Recent visits (model railway related)  have shown they appear to be trying to make it worse. Although that is true of most places.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Worked 12 hour shifts in a Network Control Centre in the centre of Reading in mid 2000's, on nights (8pm - 8am), you  had to park your car at front in sight of Security else your car would be cleared of anything portable, and not so portable even in a fenced off "Secure" car park. The same clearance service was available in the floors of Reading Station Car Park not covered by CCTV. One shift we had drive-by shooting and stabbing outside

Not been there for some years, but JW Toys in the Harris Arcade was a stop off if I was in Reading. Assume they are no longer in business.

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

If I may say so, it looks a bit like the model railway equivalent of Sir Henry Hadyn Jones' office on the old Talyllyn Railway

Thanks. High praise indeed.

818123295_SirHenryHadynJones.jpg.1d479e004e7e4f427b508b7313d56945.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1