• RMweb Gold

Evening all.......

Ahem, for the avoidance of all, palpable doubt....I should clarify that it is these that is wot the leftie desert boot wearing, anti-sheep, kowtowing ladder climbing at all costs, boot licking, fore lock tugging lap dog has discontinued.  

31ryhzrphWL._AC_.jpg.50a12a5f569d51878a7047b36fdb6b97.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, all other LACK stuff, floating or otherwise, is tickety boo. 

Disgusted of Cardiff. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

There is a chap known as Horny Tim or suchlike who can knock together some bits of wood that when glued and pinned are baseboard shaped

Horny Tim also charges a lot more than the Swedish which may put Rob off, despite the high quality result. 

Jay

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Horny Tim provides extras?

there is also Grainge and Hodder as a more budget minded approach, I use theirs.

I don’t know about extras - maybe drop him an email and ask. 

Grainge & Hodder -  yes had a look at these at the Cradley Heath show. Very nice!

Jay

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I have a couple of Grainge and Hodder baseboards which are earmarked for a future project. 

I would go for G&H before Tim Horn. 

I prefer to have the lighting overhanging the front of the layout. If you don't, the front of the layout will be dark. Better light from lighting mounted a few inches forward of the baseboard edge. Standard TH boards and associated pelmets don't seem to cater for this as they are, as you say Woodders, a box.

Rob

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Horny Tim also charges a lot more than the Swedish which may put Rob off, despite the high quality result. 

Jay

On the other hand, Horny Tim could now start producing coffee tables, to fill a gap in the market.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

Just had a quick look at the G&H website and considering how expensive good quality plywood has become their products look to be very reasonable. I'll certainly be having a closer look at their stock boxes in the new year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Just had a quick look at the G&H website and considering how expensive good quality plywood has become their products look to be very reasonable. I'll certainly be having a closer look at their stock boxes in the new year.

I've had five of their units, the only one that went wonky was a tiny one I purchased that I could practice on before tackling the big ones.   The wonkiness was down to my haste to assemble it over any issues with the woodmanship of G&H, and lesson learnt the rest are fine.

Even though ever so slightly wonky, the little box is now at the station end of my layout and not looking wonky any longer since it got anchored to a bigger unit.

• Like 4

The only way I enter an Ikea nowadays is by offering to go on my own and knowing the precise location of the required product. 

My record car to car time is 14 minutes 👍.

I don't think I fit Ikeas desired customer profile . . . .

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All these laser cut baseboard kits are very good and a welcome development, but I personally steer clear of kits that come with the backscene board included as a structural part of the main boards. I like to add mine separately, so that I can 'access all areas' during construction.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

All these laser cut baseboard kits are very good and a welcome development, but I personally steer clear of kits that come with the backscene board included as a structural part of the main boards. I like to add mine separately, so that I can 'access all areas' during construction.

Even I can make a baseboard. I struggle to imagine how any remotely able-bodied person would believe that it's beyond their ability to make one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

Even I can make a baseboard. I struggle to imagine how any remotely able-bodied person would believe that it's beyond their ability to make one.

Everyone has their Kryptonite; it could be woodwork, electrics, soldering. Take your pick. Most of the time it’s a mental barrier and holding the belief they can’t do it, when, as you point out, they most likely can.

Or maybe they don’t want to invest in the tools for a specific job. Railway modelling encompasses a wide array of skill sets, which is why it’s a great hobby, but not everyone enjoys all aspects of it. 

Jay

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Oh dear! Had an email drop this morning.

my wallet is fearing the worst! Is yours wending it’s way to South Wales yet Rob?

A340EF52-6555-4153-943A-941449AFEFDF.jpeg.7a948ef1e615d836b94bde65c91ae003.jpeg

Been in stock at Lord and Butler since Friday, Ade so, yes, I have it/them (!).........via Santa of course. 

As are all the Mainline Hunslets, in stock that is.......not with me.......gulp....

You think you have a problem ? Try working opposite a display case with these little chaps  staring at you all day.......

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Tim, 

Exactly. The backscene is the last thing that gets attached. I prefer to work on a layout in the round. 

1 hour ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

Hi Paula, 

I'm able bodied but pretty rubbish at woodwork so I arguably fall into the category you outline. Therefore, I look for an alternative, choosing to use the time saved to do the other stuff. 

36 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Everyone has their Kryptonite; it could be woodwork, electrics, soldering. Take your pick. Most of the time it’s a mental barrier and holding the belief they can’t do it, when, as you point out, they most likely can.

Or maybe they don’t want to invest in the tools for a specific job. Railway modelling encompasses a wide array of skill sets, which is why it’s a great hobby, but not everyone enjoys all aspects of it. 

Jay

Spot on

Rob. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

Even I can make a baseboard

Well, so can I (and have done so for all my layouts so far), but in order to do so, I need certain facilities and a certain amount of space to cut the timber to size etc. and it is suitable woodworking facilities and space that I currently lack, so if I was going to suddenly plan and build a new layout, I would be tempted by the laser-cut manufacturers.

The other thing to add is that quite apart from the accuracy of the fit of the laser-cut parts (as compared to my questionable joinery skills), the use of a pre-cut kit of parts is the time saving. This is something that many of us, I suspect, would regard as a fair trade-off.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Paula, 

I'm able bodied but pretty rubbish at woodwork so I arguably fall into the category you outline. Therefore, I look for an alternative, choosing to use the time saved to do the other stuff.

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

I'm also rubbish at woodwork (come to think about it I'm rubbish at everything else as well) but we're not talking about making reproduction Chippendale furniture here. Drill a hole and screw a screw in is about as advanced as it needs to get.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Having recently become severely disabled, I will be using Laser Cut baseboards for all future layouts. Mind you it was never advisable to look too closely at the baseboards that I have made. On the subject of needing to get at all sides for scenic work, I believe Chris Nevard makes a Foam Board sub baseboard that he works on before placing it into the main baseboard box.

All the suppliers of Laser Cut baseboards that I have looked at do a custom option, so you could specify a top that came out enough to light the entire layout if you went that route. 

Quite frankly, with the extremely high quality of Rob's layouts, I never look at the baseboards much anyway. For the record I think Rob's whole baseboards look great and I would be proud if I had made them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

When I built the boards for Aston, which consists of five 1200x600x150 boards made from 9mm ply with 19mm ends I was lucky enough to have the use of my friend's shop which we were renovating at the time. So that meant I had plenty of room to swing 8'x4' boards around, plus access to a circular saw bench and trestles, which saved me the fifty pence per cut Jewsons wanted to change (plus VAT of course) and I had plenty of room to build up and clamp the boards together while the glue set.

I don't have those options any more and combined with chasing around moving big sheets of wood, I might just go for a pre cut option if the boards aren't made of flimsy material.

• Like 5