NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PMP said:

I think you have been very unlucky. I'm thinking that we have similar interests and have bought in the past the same rtr types, where you have experienced problems and I haven't.

That's interesting, Paul.

I tend to put myself in the same camp as Rob most of the time.

I've had:

- two DJM 14XXs mis-behaving

- one Bachmann 94XX with back-to-backs too wide for OO

- one Bachmann 64XX which wouldn't run in smoothly

- one Hornby Terrier which hasn't run-in smoothly

- two Rails Terriers with the same bent footplate

- locos from the same manufacturer with differing wheel and flange profiles/depths, some of which didn't like my Code 75 bullhead track

My solution to the above is either send the locos back for further exchange or refund or build a replacement etched chassis.

The etched chassis route is time-consuming and more expense, but it does at least place the responsibility for any further poor running firmly in my own court.

Building a replacement chassis may be an extreme response and it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but where I've done this, I've (usually after much wailing and gnashing of teeth) ended up with a loco that runs to my satisfaction.

I only opt for the etched chassis solution if the loco is one that I particularly want to see running on my layout.

The two Rapido locos I've had fall into another camp, as the running on the 16XX wasn't too bad and my Hunslet has improved a lot with extensive running in on the rolling road. With the Rapido stuff, it's the inability to simply take the body off the chassis, so that I can (in the above extreme circumstances) opt for a replacement chassis and mechanism.

It also precluded most options for conversion to EM or P4, so (unless things change), any further Rapido locos I purchase will be for the OO layouts only (which is fine, by the way, if I wanted a second Hunslet in OO I would have no qualms about ordering another Rapido one).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

Does this look narrow gauge to you? From the Railway Magazine 1928. Added to hit the next 100th post. Congratulations!

Elephanta 0-6-0ST Iraq WW1.jpg

No, it's standard gauge. Manning Wardle M Class no 1673, built 1906.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Morning Sheepmeister, what you need are some milling drill bits. I have used them in conjunction with mdf framing the Lack top to provide a 75mm service space for wiring/point motors etc. Also give you extra hand grabiness so you don't squish your excuisite scenicery. Milling drill bits are inexpensive on the Bay of E, or Screwfix/Toolstation.

289313136_Millingdrillbit.jpg.1499949cee5325d7a6f913860803aa07.jpgl

Also know as SDS Drill Bits.

12 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

Also know as SDS Drill Bits.

Sorry but no. SDS is system with slotted drill bits on the shank for quick change in drills with the compatible chuck.

Milling drill bits fit into a conventional drill chuck, and have cutting edges along the length behind the point.

1507282101_download(1).jpeg.3b17f53bbd06a52043326d7dd8cef430.jpeg

Edited by durham light infantry
Missing image
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's interesting, Paul.

I tend to put myself in the same camp as Rob most of the time.

I have corresponded with Rob off-line about my very similar experiences -I was only in a model shop yesterday exchanging a poor runner...

ChrisH

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

In other news, I await Rapido's iron minks. The issues with their locos are one thing but there is no denying that their wagons are first class and to mere mortals such as I, beyond reproach. 

I'm looking to pick up a few examples of these, both for the SE&CR project and the snoozing 1923-'29 GWR Tanat Valleyesque endeavour. 

I hope to collect these chaps..........

MG_5054.jpg.a2c811ceb4aa3084ea08e156a365aa32.jpg

Early. Pre-1904. 

MG_5083.jpg.e304361bdaf6431c4acca4341ae945cb.jpg

25 inch lettering. 

MG_5086.jpg.fe911ebe1564e799dc6b2695f94c10aa.jpg

16 inch lettering. 

All the above are suitable for a pre-grouping scenario with the later two being fine into the post-grouping '20s. So all boxes ticked. 

Possibly this one may find a home as well. Very early BR. 

MG_5041.jpg.6f3c7a77e63eac8c342b50df6d4665a3.jpg

Then we have the opens arriving not long after that.........not to mention the SE&CR 6 wheel brake vans.............hopefully. 

Rob

W69121 in the livery as portrayed by Rapido was photographed at Huntingdon North on 29/9/1951.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, durham light infantry said:

Morning Sheepmeister, what you need are some milling drill bits. I have used them in conjunction with mdf framing the Lack top to provide a 75mm service space for wiring/point motors etc. Also give you extra hand grabiness so you don't squish your excuisite scenicery. Milling drill bits are inexpensive on the Bay of E, or Screwfix/Toolstation.

289313136_Millingdrillbit.jpg.1499949cee5325d7a6f913860803aa07.jpgl

IMG20220410182845.jpg.7ff201addad3e1a6f85c90a7e675f064.jpgIMG20220320155310.jpg.5041ff8c244c9eb0969e22c8ddb09ba1.jpg

Rob keep an eye out for them in Aldi as they do them every so often. Haven't checked the cost but my feeling is that Aldi will be cheaper - someone will now say they got some cheaper elsewhere.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

Crikey ! Much going on. 

9 hours ago, PMP said:

I think you have been very unlucky. I'm thinking that we have similar interests and have bought in the past the same rtr types, where you have experienced problems and I haven't. With your 'failure rate' my thoughts are that there's likely to be another factor having an impact, and if you're not using a robust wiring convention on some of your layouts then there may be a problem there particularly for the smaller engines. If we lived closer as we have similar interests it would have been very useful to swap each others identical locomotives and run them on each others trainsets to compare results. Disliking wiring intensely I find it a pita to add droppers and sort wiring looms but the overall benefit of doing that and having 'live' frog pointwork offsets the relatively small amount of time it takes to do that. If the locos are working well on rolling roads and test track ovals and pointwork, if they develop problems on a layout, then the layout needs a check over to ensure the layout build isn't affecting the model performance. Albion Yard used blade contact on all but two of its points and it worked to a very high 90 percentile without problems. It had droppers and a lot of shakedown testing as the build continued. This isn't a dig at @NHY 581or anyone else but once track is down and painted for me, there's then a good period testing all the layout functions with a variety of stock prior to any further work.

In terms of comments regarding the quality of RTR mechanisms and their suitability for purpose, in my experience and speaking to trade associates we get a good overall success rate id suggest well into the 90%mark. I visited a box shifter a couple of years back and was given a behind the scenes look at the operation. At the time there was a froth fest regarding a rtr model and its qualities. What was really interesting was the lack of returns of that model, and indeed of other manufacturers. When I queried this I was told that unless there's a really bad problem (eg HJ MK1 Cl17 motors) the number of returns for failures was a very small number of those sold, and the shelf I was looking at was typical. That largely has been a similar story with others I've spoken to. To put my experience into perspective Ive done a quick rough tot up of the rtr types that I know have been through the mancave in one format or another over th past few years. There's some multiples of types, panniers/DMU's. The number is around 130 different types of locomotives of around 100 types with no failures. Of the types Ive not been satisfied with and have done the statutory return thing on there's two, one quartering, one irreparable pick up damage. Types are probably 97% DC with a slack handful of DCC models.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there aren't problem models out there, but it needs a sense of the wider perspective. And comments such as the magazines don't want to upset the advertising revenue with reviews are just childish. Pick up a magazine and work out where that primary revenue comes from, it really isn't difficult.

Hi Paul, 

There is consistency in the running qualities of the Hunslet on the test track and on the layout. 

My layouts also rely on the blade contacts and to be fair, it works and works well.  However, I want to try and eliminate any doubt hence the "review". 

When first laid, there was much testing at each stage, after painting, after weathering, after ballasting etc,etc. 

Crucially, most locos perform well. Exhibitions see two Peckett W4s trundling about and they do so to the same standard expected of the Hunslet. If they didn't, they wouldn't be there. If it ain't good enough for me, it definitely ain't good enough for the paying public. 

So, I do think I've been unlucky but I do think that more consideration needs to be given to the likely use these models will see. 

8 hours ago, PMP said:

Im currently using a Lack 6ft shelf as a test bed, track laid loose. IMG_7743.jpeg.6cd0acd954f249527f28c9492ce3bcf7.jpeg

I'd assumed previously that your track had been 'fully' wired, and was going to ask how you'd done that and how you'd got 'inside' the shelf unit, as I'm looking to add point motors. This test piece works ok but there's obviously not rigid track on it which sometimes causes faults. If you're not motorising points and want to retain the Lack system you can have 'droppers' on top of the board hidden underneath the scenery so you don't need to discard them as a chassis system if you dont want to, there's other ways round it which can be found.

Now, I drill though from the back and after soldering the wires in place at the track, I draw through to a bus bar thingy on the back edge. For the bus, I use copper hi-fi speaker cable which works well. I've done this on all five layouts since 2015. 

My points are not motorised. 

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

W69121 in the livery as portrayed by Rapido was photographed at Huntingdon North on 29/9/1951.

Good reason for same to pop up at EWE then......

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I like this one. Even though it’s a tad vibrant in its clean state. 

Jay

Positively raucous..........

It's the Motorhead of the Iron Mink world.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 9