Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2023 at 15:07, Asterix2012 said:

Foamboard is another option.

I worked with many types / thicknesses of 'foam core' during my 40+ years working in an art studio. It's fine for mounting stuff on for presentations. We used tons of it for just that, but it was never very stable and prone to damage. 

Edited by Gedward
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Depends how well it's supported.  If that is done properly you can do what I did and when gluing down a piece of track on foamboard I put a house brick on top of it to stop it moving as the glue went off.  Note thos is two layers of foamboard and it is only supported by foamboard laid vertically as seen in the lower pic with the whole lot laid on top of a ply base supported by a traditional wooden frame - the second phot shows the maximum height of the play - everything above that is foamboard or plaster bandage

212388343_DSCF5730copy.jpg.7f812473a793f5bbc14ecdae5b288bd0.jpg

7085467_DSCF5605copy.jpg.7df807aa22d1e48e520fc5ed7f4bb0c2.jpg

And of course there was a need for some weight when fixing the level foamboard to the vertical stuff

1514501573_DSCF5695copy.jpg.1bf77ff2c27d38092d8dc5c786b72e60.jpg

Hi Mike, the foamboard I had was mounted on a continuous layer ply rather than between supports. The dips I referred to were from the foamboard core getting squished. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hi Mike, the foamboard I had was mounted on a continuous layer ply rather than between supports. The dips I referred to were from the foamboard core getting squished. 

Likewise, once it's been crushed against something unyielding, it doesn't come back.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It depends on the current it’s rated for as it comes in various widths. For a small layout in theory it’s ok with something like a 1 amp trainset controller but larger units and most basic DCC systems will put out 2.5 - 3 amps if there’s a short and the thin foil tapes will heat up at this current and probably fail plus there’s a small risk of it igniting something else. The thicker / wider tapes more akin to pcb strips will handle the current but you need to check the current rating is greater than the output of your controller. 

This site has some practical experiments with it. https://www.browndoggadgets.com/blogs/news/conductive-tape-experiment-in-great-detail

There results  tally with my comments on 6mm copper tape 

• RMweb Gold

It has taken me an age to get anywhere on this forum to be where I’m in a position to post on the Kerr,Stuart.. That being as it may,I am now in the happy position of running one recently purchased from the two nice gentlemen at Doncaster ( ooo…where’s that ,you ask ? ).  Two of these locos were,if you like,childhood accomplices,in that their barking punctuated my waking hours just down the road from home at Aberaman Colliery,initially a PD owned but later NCB post 1948. My late father was a PD employee all his working life  which was next to the pit.A totally wonderful model which delivers in terms of both performance and  appearance. . 

• Like 5

Never doubt the judgement of the works forecat!

That photo is hilarious!

I used to have my music practice supervised by my parents Jack Russell, though sitting on your feet whilst trying to play the piano was not helpful and you didn't see her for dust when playing clarinet or sax.

I'd buy another J15!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mullie said:

I'd buy another J15!

2 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

You can’t have too many J15’s 😊

You are both very naughty boys. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

On 12/02/2023 at 10:37, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Much running in, expertly supervised by The Works Forecat. 

20230209_214321-02.jpeg.edc223d036600b93d28e054662f4cdc9.jpeg

A hard stare is delivered towards the Heljan 14 which has added itself to the " almost but not quite" category. 

Rob. 

Those Swindon monstrosities deserve a bit more than a hard stare. He or she ought to be treating it as if it was a mouse. 😄

• Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

It's possible that the WFC is struggling with the eternal cat conundrum:

"I could swipe that straight off the table..."*/**

* But I would then be in trouble.

** But it would be fun.

* But I would then be in trouble.

** But it would be fun......

Ad infinitum.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Those Swindon monstrosities deserve a bit more than a hard stare. He or she ought to be treating it as if it was a mouse. 😄

Not wrong. The model is actually less reliable than the prototype, despite the "improvements" made for this years reissue. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Not wrong. The model is actually less reliable than the prototype, despite the "improvements" made for this years reissue. 

That’s why they hang around in groups then

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Oh dear. Exactly what is wrong with the model? As much as I dislike them, my new project ought to have one.

Photo by Keith Long, on Flickr.

Crigglestone.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Leaving the Teddy Bears to one side......any guesses where this is?

52689187079_3988eebe2d_z.jpg

Seeing that reminds me of our good friend Grahame Hitchen. He sent me an image of that when he went there. 

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/the-sheep-chronicles-a-sheep-dips-his-hooves-in-various-bucolic-backwaters.7090/post-171420

Much missed. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Linky stuff added
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ruston said:

Oh dear. Exactly what is wrong with the model? As much as I dislike them, my new project ought to have one.

Photo by Keith Long, on Flickr.

Crigglestone.

Despite the suggestion that Heljan had upgraded the chassis, other than add 21pin decoder gubbins, it appears very little else was done. 

For example, you still have to chop bits out of the inside to fit a decoder so clearly the revisions overlooked that particular nugget. 

The wheels have a humongous amount of side play which causes issues with the pick ups. Adjusting them seems to make very little difference. The coupling rods don't help with the flopping about as they are multi jointed. 

I bought it for Sheep Dip but it seems incapable of smoothly traversing it. Very stally and altogether a bit rubbish. 

Whether fitting replacement rods from Brassmasters will help, I'm not sure. In fact, I'm not sure about the loco, full stop. 

Certainly not what I'd hoped for. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Despite the suggestion that Heljan had upgraded the chassis, other than add 21pin decoder gubbins, it appears very little else was done. 

For example, you still have to chop bits out of the inside to fit a decoder so clearly the revisions overlooked that particular nugget. 

The wheels have a humongous amount of side play which causes issues with the pick ups. Adjusting them seems to make very little difference. The coupling rods don't help with the flopping about as they are multi jointed. 

I bought it for Sheep Dip but it seems incapable of smoothly traversing it. Very stally and altogether a bit rubbish. 

Whether fitting replacement rods from Brassmasters will help, I'm not sure. In fact, I'm not sure about the loco, full stop. 

Certainly not what I'd hoped for. 

Rob. 

I have advice...

52688915951_e1c42b3b88_z.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I have advice...

52688915951_e1c42b3b88_z.jpg

Quite. Starting to think there are more rewarding hobbies...........

• Friendly/supportive 7