5 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I stand corrected and thin.

Nah, you were mostly right. When I was over there, I saw a lot of people in their forties and fifties who looked ten years younger, but the fat people really were fat, not so many fat kids as here though!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Well, today was kind of mapped out but seems to have unravelled slightly in the last quarter of an hour. Continuing niggling pain to my lower back and right leg has ruled out an engagement with the local park run which we registered for yesterday.  Memsahib has decided that it would probably cause more drama, both to me and herself as I shuffle about in the aftermath grumping about my bad back/ leg etc . Of course, it was never going to go well anyway.  My days of running 10k every other evening are long gone but I was hoping to start things off again, albeit at a much gentler pace. I actually have no idea where I am fitness wise or if I still have COVID related issues hanging over me. Up to four years ago I was still easily handling a job related fitness test three times a year but when COVID hit in early '21, it put paid to that. I am however, sufficiently intrigued  to now have a go..........but clearly not today. 

There is of course the small matter of a F.A Cup final to settle down in front of this afternoon and here's hoping it's the entertaining game it has all the promise to be. 

In the interim, planned tidying of the garage will continue. A good start was made yesterday and today sees a planned assault on several large ( very ! ) boxes of old model railway magazines which have really had their day/year. 

Those destined for discarding will be conveyed to work on Monday for any customers to take away with them. 

So plenty to keep me going for now. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
Clarity.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Ah, yes, the FA Cup Final.

Due to No. 1 son having yet another birthday, today, ( I blame his parents) we are off to the South Devon Railway instead.

Beware! Torbay Air Show today, so the whole bay will be gridlocked, which is why we are on the edge of Dartmoor for a few days.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Beware! Torbay Air Show today, so the whole bay will be gridlocked, which is why we are on the edge of Dartmoor for a few days.....

Just as well we can't go anywhere at the moment, anyway...!

(yes, still testing positive)

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And this is the view from outside Besley Towers.... yes there is a biplane in the centre of the picture

20230603_151550.jpg.312452a0c275631b060b9653541637e6.jpg

Of more particular intrest will be to see 60007 'Sir Nigel Gresley' this everning hopefully at Torre 17:31...

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Today see a resumption of the Grand Garage tidy as it was sidetracked yesterday by an apparent pressing need to attend to two rather long hedges which I reliably informed were a smidge unkempt.....as were the lawns at the Chateau........and Jasmine's bush..........sorry.........., the Jasmine bush. 

Earlier today, cycling was the order of the day. Dr. Memsahib seemed to think it would assist in the ongoing painful leg stuff......now returned, I remain as sceptical as prior to setting out....

So, will we see Project S laid out later today.......? 

Time will indeed tell............

Rob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Today see a resumption of the Grand Garage tidy as it was sidetracked yesterday by an apparent pressing need to attend to two rather long hedges which I reliably informed were a smidge unkempt

Tut tut Rob:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/gardening-for-wildlife/plants-for-wildlife/garden-hedges/hedge-law/#:~:text=We recommend avoiding hedge cutting,active nests prior to cutting.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Today see a resumption of the Grand Garage tidy as it was sidetracked yesterday by an apparent pressing need to attend to two rather long hedges which I reliably informed were a smidge unkempt.....as were the lawns at the Chateau........and Jasmine's bush..........sorry.........., the Jasmine bush. 

Earlier today, cycling was the order of the day. Dr. Memsahib seemed to think it would assist in the ongoing painful leg stuff......now returned, I remain as sceptical as prior to setting out....

So, will we see Project S laid out later today.......? 

Time will indeed tell............

Rob

A nicely-trimmed bush always looks good.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ah, well, in my defence, Richard, the one hedge sees no nesting activity. Jasmine's bush has a healthy community of spadgers but their enclave was left well alone and in fact normal service was resumed a very short time ( 30 secs ? ) after the cessation of trimage to the straggly bits dangling from Jasmine's bottom.  Elsewhere, the hedge to the front of the property was given a light tweaking but the family of spadgers that frequent that particular location nest in our roof space, one of which helped me with a spot of tidying advice in the attic the other day. 

Add to that the resident pigeons in one of the large pine trees,  numerous Slow Worms ( population fluctuates depending on the activities of the Works Forecat ), the very occasional Fox, hedgehogs a bee friendly display of plants and a few pairs of nice Tits that flap about and we don't do so badly for wildlife in our an urban setting. 

Rob

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

70B4109E-E189-4BF9-892B-292CFAEDD629.jpeg

Ah yes !

The Llewellyn Bowen flock. A rather ostentatious lot. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Ah, well, in my defence

Nothing to defend in my view, Rob!

A modest hedge in a private garden needs to be kept under control.

I like to be in charge in my own garden, not Nature (or CTMK, although she usually has the last word)..

It reminds me of all those who would rather the railways didn't attend to vegetation growth in a timely manner. They seem to have won the day in some respects, leaving some areas of our infrastructure looking distinctly 'third worldish'.

The Lawns of Bodmin Parkway come to mind.

Mind you, that's what comes of using Liquid Growmore as your weedkiller...

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3